Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM

91 posts, read 500,355 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the average price to get your car a new inspection sticker?

Last year I went to one that was supposely cheap. But I got charged an arm and leg for new tires and other stuff I can't remember.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Inspection sticker is like $32 - $40 for 1988 and newer cars because it includes the emissions testing. But if you needed new tires and wipers and light bulbs in order for it to pass, you will have to get those taken care of before you can get a sticker issued. You do have the option to take your car anyplace for the repairs or do them yourself and then take the car back to the same station within 15 days and they will complete the inspection for no extra charge.

TxDPS - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Inspection sticker is like $32 - $40 for 1988 and newer cars because it includes the emissions testing. But if you needed new tires and wipers and light bulbs in order for it to pass, you will have to get those taken care of before you can get a sticker issued. You do have the option to take your car anyplace for the repairs or do them yourself and then take the car back to the same station within 15 days and they will complete the inspection for no extra charge.

TxDPS - Frequently Asked Questions

That bastard wouldn't let me leave. Told me I had to get new front tires. My original plan was to go to Discount tire and get tires rotated and come back. I'll never go to the Firestone on Fry Rd again. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by databasegeek View Post
That bastard wouldn't let me leave. Told me I had to get new front tires. My original plan was to go to Discount tire and get tires rotated and come back. I'll never go to the Firestone on Fry Rd again. Thanks for the info!
Basically I had to pay if I wanted to leave and he said I'll fail and have to come back for another inspection

Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Really? The Firestone at Fry and Saums or the South Fry location by the Grand Parkway? I know people that worked at both locations. Yes, you have to pay for the inspection fee, but you can get the work done anyplace and take it back and state law says you don't have to pay again for them to complete the inspection.

Oh, and rotating the tires won't work unless you have another set of tires. If a tire is down to the wear indicators, it must be replaced to pass the inspection.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM

66 posts, read 117,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by databasegeek View Post

That's my experience at another firestone, but I went in for a simple oil change. They said I had to change filters and a bunch of other stuff or they wouldn't let me leave. Wound up having to pay 150 in other crap. I'll never go to another firestone ever.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 PM

61,732 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Whatever they say and whatever you decide to do is only up to you. If you want to leave, then you leave and do your business somewhere else. They can't HOLD you hostage and MAKE you to do your business there

Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlol View Post
That's my experience at another firestone, but I went in for a simple oil change. They said I had to change filters and a bunch of other stuff or they wouldn't let me leave. Wound up having to pay 150 in other crap. I'll never go to another firestone ever.
What do you mean they wouldn't let you leave? You must be a women. When ever they try that "you need to get this done, you need to get that done" blah blah blah. I just tell them look, I came for a oil and that's it I'll worry about that other stuff later.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:15 PM

61,732 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
What do you mean they wouldn't let you leave? You must be a women. When ever they try that "you need to get this done, you need to get that done" blah blah blah. I just tell them look, I came for a oil and that's it I'll worry about that other stuff later.
^^^ Hello??? I am a woman, and I am not going to be bullied by some car mechanic .....

Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Wow! Sounds like you got pressured in to stuff. That's insane. I'd never get it inspected at a place that did repairs. I go to those cheapy Mr. Stickers. But I also keep up with my maintenance since I've had a mishap before and learned my lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston