Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM

52 posts, read 139,817 times

Advertisements

I live inside the loop but we're looking to move to Sugar Land. I don't know of any particular community inside the loop with a strong Indian presence, however as with most large cities, the urban areas are well diversified....usually, more than suburban.

If you are indeed looking for a place that helps provide exposure to Indian cultures and events, Sugar Land, Katy, Spring, and Clear Lake areas might be best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM

45 posts, read 136,883 times
Thanks, Faster10154 for the information.

Glucorious, after 16 years in this country, I feel qualified to give you some 'American'...there's no need to speak 'British' to be a helpful citizen, just speak 'Polite' and not make unwarranted assumptions!!!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
If you search city-data.com by zip code, there's a section on ethnicity of residents in that zip. Not sure though if Indians are within the "Asian" grouping, or if they are "West Indian". You have to scroll about halfway down the page for the info.

zip codes of good neighborhoods close to TMC
77401 (Bellaire)
77030 (Med Center)
77005 (West U)
77096 (Meyerland)

Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 AM

342 posts, read 803,077 times
I went to a high school graduation in The Woodlands last night, I was surprised to see there are many eastern asian people. Sugarland might have the most, but I see more on the other side too. I find it ironic that I live in a close to 90% caucasian population, yet the Valedictorian is hispanic and the Salutatorian is indian. As for Inner Loop, I believe most Indians don't live in areas of east of I-45, I think most will live close to Medical Center, or very close to the Indian Consulate on Memorial, near S.Shepherd.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
I went to a high school graduation in The Woodlands last night, I was surprised to see there are many eastern asian people. Sugarland might have the most, but I see more on the other side too. I find it ironic that I live in a close to 90% caucasian population, yet the Valedictorian is hispanic and the Salutatorian is indian. As for Inner Loop, I believe most Indians don't live in areas of east of I-45, I think most will live close to Medical Center, or very close to the Indian Consulate on Memorial, near S.Shepherd.
If you look at the school demographics ( the ones actually in TW), they seem to be different that the Woodlands numbers. In the back it's down to the 70th percentile range for "white", high 70th in the front. I always wonder why the school demos are so different than others sources. City Data shows the in the 70's as well. Of course they are breaking it down into hispanic and white groups, not just lumping them together.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM

286 posts, read 739,297 times
You'll find Indians (such as me!) spread out in the Inner Loop. From my experience, it's mostly younger couples (schools, I think, being the big issue). But we're here and there and when I'm looking for cultural events, it's not hard to get to Sugarland/Pearland or Hilcroft from here. You'll be fine in any of the neighborhoods you're looking at.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 PM

561 posts, read 972,433 times
TO THE OP:

Im an indian and I can tell you that if you have many if not all Indian friends that you want to visit on a weekly basis(which it seems that you do) then you will find yourself driving from your inner loop location to Sugar Land/ Alief area as well as Hilcroft.

I live in Sugar Land and I see so many indian people and asian people here its actually driving me crazy.

But if you want your children to truly have a "DIVERSE" group of friends then being in the inner loop and finding a few Indian families that your kids can be with along with other non-indian families then it might be to your benefit. Because living in Sugar Land will only increase their likely hood to have a majority of Indian friends.

However if your looking for cultural events then you might be driving out of the inner loop for quite a bit of it. And to be honest there isn't a well establish "Indian" neighborhood in the loop, most Indian people live on the Southwest side of town and visit Hillcroft or Bellaire or Bissonnet.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times
NW Houston has a few also.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM

84 posts, read 192,971 times
OP most south-asian community prefers to live in suburbs like sugarland, katy, pearland, clear lake etc. This is because they like cars and to own homes that are good enough size for family with a yard and kind of secluded neighborhood from the daily city hustle & bustle.

But like someone else said head out to Hillcroft shopping strip right next to highway 59 where Shiek Chilli restaurant is....it's not a family area but I know that in the surrounding apartment complexes lots of indian/pakistanis famillies live there. Who knows you might get to meet some families just there for food or renting indian dvd's etc from the shops there. Also on Hillcroft on the other side of the freeway I-59 there is the 'Sabri' nihari place and bunch of other restaurants and clothing shops etc. That strip looks bit upscale and I see lots of indian/Pakistani families hanging out there too.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Why does everyone think the OP means India Indians? Maybe he/she meant American Indians, you know, the native American ones.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston