Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times

Advertisements

My (13 y.o., 3 ton, Goodman, 12 SEER) condenser unit is leaking freon (R-22). The technician is pushing me to replace the whole unit.

Is there a chance to replace just the condenser/dryer or a pump or coil upon inspection? In other words, can it be fixed by replacing just some parts and not the whole unit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Call One Hour AC - 281-469-9999. I use them to get detailed checks on houses, if needed - and replacement is only a sometimes suggestion.

I thought they were phasing out R-22, but do not know the details or if there is an alternative.

My understanding is the SEER rating goes down with age. Energy efficiency imay also be a factor in your decision to repair or replace.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 AM

222 posts, read 720,322 times
At some point, I suspect they will stop making R-22 units. So if you don't replace the whole thing now and wait, when it does need replacing, you may have to replace both the outside unit and the inside unit to match the new freon (coils). How old is your inside unit? 13 years also?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
My (13 y.o., 3 ton, Goodman, 12 SEER) condenser unit is leaking freon (R-22). The technician is pushing me to replace the whole unit.

Is there a chance to replace just the condenser/dryer or a pump or coil upon inspection? In other words, can it be fixed by replacing just some parts and not the whole unit?
Yes you can repair just about anything on the unit. What you need to know is the estimated cost to repair Vs. replacement. Also take into consideration the future potential of other failures. Look at the cost for a major failure such as the compressor in that unit. Ask your HVAC Contractor what it would cost both for parts and labor for just that item and it is a real eye opener! For many of these units a compressor failure is half the cost of a new unit. If you spend a large amount to fix the coil leak and the compressor fails then you might wind up just spending more later.

I have seen 20+ year old units just humming along without a problem. On the other hand I've also seen 5 year old units that have failed miserably. Your HVAC Contractor might be trying to save you a big cost later on down the road. If the repair on this unit is high, in comparison to a new unit, it might be well worth replacing it instead. If you do have the system replaced and the interior air handler/evaporative cooler coil is old and potentially worn you might be able to obtain a package deal and lower the cost for a new system?

Another advantage to full replacement is you will have a brand new warranty with it. Read the warranty closely though as I have not found one yet that covers labor costs which can be very high!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,945 times
13 year old Goodman, might be time to replace it. How well has the unit been take care of? Have you had someone come out yearly to maintain it? If not I would say replace it. Cost factor you will probably be better off in the long run. You fix this and then 6 months later something else breaks and so on and you could have a brand new unit. I deal with equipment rooms all over the city and it does not fail every time they fix instead of replacing an ac it just has more and more problems costing me more on both the AC and the equipment in the room that burns up.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
13 year old Goodman, might be time to replace it. How well has the unit been take care of? Have you had someone come out yearly to maintain it? If not I would say replace it. Cost factor you will probably be better off in the long run. You fix this and then 6 months later something else breaks and so on and you could have a brand new unit. I deal with equipment rooms all over the city and it does not fail every time they fix instead of replacing an ac it just has more and more problems costing me more on both the AC and the equipment in the room that burns up.
Thank you.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Call One Hour AC - 281-469-9999. I use them to get detailed checks on houses, if needed - and replacement is only a sometimes suggestion.
Any other suggestions? I'm a bit concerned by my ac unit and would like it checked out.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Elsy's AC, I don't have a number handy on them.

Goodmans generally will handle abuse better than some, but they are not very efficient.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Elsy's AC, I don't have a number handy on them.

Goodmans generally will handle abuse better than some, but they are not very efficient.

AFAIK, Goodmans are loud too. The quietest models would be in 62-70dB area.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Did they give you a quote to replace the entire unit? I would figure the cost of replacing what is leaking plus the cost of replacing a fan motor or something else that might be quite a few years old and you may be getting close to full replacement cost anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston