Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 09:25 PM

118 posts, read 254,373 times

Advertisements

Looking into these areas. Commute isn't a concern, hoping to spend around $500k. Other than what we've read on the schools we know next to nothing. We will be moving from an established part of Sugar Land, lots of mature trees, walking distance to parks. We want a pretty neighborhood! Fill me in. Commute is not a concern but we do want to be close to restaurants, grocery stores, great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 11:45 PM

569 posts, read 1,079,349 times
What are you looking to gain from the move that you don't currently have in the "established section of Sugar Land" you are from (which would appear to be comparable or superior to Katy in general)?

Old 02-06-2017, 08:42 AM

Office is in Katy

Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,806 times
I think Kelliwood and Green Trails are the best neighborhoods in Katy.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I think Kelliwood and Green Trails are the best neighborhoods in Katy.
But why? I see this a lot but nobody can explain why.

I looked at Grand Lakes specifically because it's zoned to Seven Lakes High, which ranks a lot higher than Taylor. There has to be something I'm missing here - great school but people prefer another area. Feel free to message me if you'd rather not post publicly.

Commute isn't a concern (partly in office at Katy, partly work from home), we are primarily concerned with schools and an involved neighborhood with lots of kids.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:41 AM

581 posts, read 615,554 times
We moved to Kelliwood just over a year ago, and we love it. Easy access to the bike trails into GWB Park. Most, if not all of Kelliwood is zoned to Pattison elementary, which is one of the highest rated schools in Katy. (Even if you don't have kids, this is good for property values). Taylor is still an excellent HS, even if it's not rated as highly as Cinco Ranch.

The mature tree lined streets are much nicer I think in Green Trails and Kelliwood as they are older, more established areas.

Property Taxes/HOA fees are lower for Kelliwood as well.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
Many prefer Kelliwood and Green Trails to the neighborhoods west of the Grand Parkway because of the mature trees, generally lower taxes, George Bush Park access, and (especially) the much shorter commute to the Energy Corridor. Green Trails to the heart of the EC is 15 minutes at rush hour vs 45 mins to an hour from Grand Lakes. This may not impact you if your office is in Katy, but it does influence desireability and resale value for others.

From what I've heard, comparing the Katy schools south of I-10 is splitting hairs. They're all fine schools.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:15 PM

243 posts, read 487,699 times
As far as the neighborhoods go, they are really similar. Grand Lakes is newer housing stock and appears to look a little more generic than Green Trails/Kelliwood but I think it will age nicely. It may have more amenities as well because it's newer. Demographics are similar in both areas--lots of kids with parents who are there "for the schools". The older neighborhoods have more older kids and empty nesters. Both Seven Lakes and Taylor are top Texas public high schools. You're splitting hairs over the rankings.

One thing to take into consideration is that it can take 20 or more minutes in traffic to get from Grand Lakes up to I-10 whereas Green Trails and Kelliwood are right there. This is a big advantage if you are using I-10 to get somewhere regardless of whether you commute to work or not. I also think this makes the location superior in general which will bode well for property values down the road. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either one all things being equal. Consider older areas of Cinco Ranch as well (east of 99).

Last edited by kittyhawk; 02-06-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston