Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

[quote=micmac99;25303949]I am a relative newcomer to Houston but have lived in other places around the country and I think I can help clarify some things.

3. There was a huge oil bust in the 1980s which decimated this city, and some neighborhoods have never really recovered to this day. Areas that were pristine in the 70s and 80s are the "'hood" today with the accompanying gang activity, shootings, break-ins, etc. Fondren Southwest comes to mind, and to a lesser extent the area around Sharpstown Mall (officially known now as PlazaAmericas).

Fondren Southwest. I remember the police helicopters and sounds of automatic weapons fire every weekend night during the fall when the sound carried well. It really was very nice in the early 80s except for a few apartment complexes. Had a couple of co-workers lived in one of those apartment complexes down the street from me and they would lay on top of their kids when they heard the gunshots outside, which happened frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM

312 posts, read 798,045 times
[quote=bu2;25313544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
I am a relative newcomer to Houston but have lived in other places around the country and I think I can help clarify some things.

3. There was a huge oil bust in the 1980s which decimated this city, and some neighborhoods have never really recovered to this day. Areas that were pristine in the 70s and 80s are the "'hood" today with the accompanying gang activity, shootings, break-ins, etc. Fondren Southwest comes to mind, and to a lesser extent the area around Sharpstown Mall (officially known now as PlazaAmericas).

Fondren Southwest. I remember the police helicopters and sounds of automatic weapons fire every weekend night during the fall when the sound carried well. It really was very nice in the early 80s except for a few apartment complexes. Had a couple of co-workers lived in one of those apartment complexes down the street from me and they would lay on top of their kids when they heard the gunshots outside, which happened frequently.
I was just debating, on one of these threads, with another poster about how people on City-Data almost always without fail, recommend newcomers to Houston consider the suburbs rather than a large part of the city, which most people, myself included, regard as dangerous, especially for professional families with kids. The poster got rather annoyed with me and said basically I was being unfair to these neighborhoods within the city, because they are working class Black and Latino, and therefore get unfairly labeled as dangerous. The poster seemed to be upset that I was apparently making allegations with no proof. I got upset in turn and went on a rant about how low-income communities NEED to clean up.

Are there any areas of Houston, that are NOT suburbs but within the city limits, that are safe with good schools, suitable for families and professionals who would normally consider a place like Sugar Land or Katy? I think people here are aware of places like West Memorial/Energy Corridor, Meyerland and such, but anywhere else that comes to mind? I don't want to paint all of Houston with a broad brush and maybe there's a subdivision that's a hidden gem somewhere.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 PM

36 posts, read 65,318 times
[quote=micmac99;25515417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Are there any areas of Houston, that are NOT suburbs but within the city limits, that are safe with good schools, suitable for families and professionals who would normally consider a place like Sugar Land or Katy? I think people here are aware of places like West Memorial/Energy Corridor, Meyerland and such, but anywhere else that comes to mind? I don't want to paint all of Houston with a broad brush and maybe there's a subdivision that's a hidden gem somewhere.
Pretty much no, without to going outside the far fringes to Clear Lake or Kingwood.
Meyerland? Are you kidding? This is a newly contrived panacia..only because its next to mixed Bellaire. West Memorial is now over 400,000 for a remodel
Private schools are of choice, even to those living in Memorial. Even the "weathlier"in Sugar Land are chosing Strake and St. Agnus.
Frankly, public education in Tx is horrible. The suburban myth of salvation is a joke.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM

312 posts, read 798,045 times
[quote=Wldgstanglewood;25515539]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post

Pretty much no, without to going outside the far fringes to Clear Lake or Kingwood.
Meyerland? Are you kidding? This is a newly contrived panacia..only because its next to mixed Bellaire. West Memorial is now over 400,000 for a remodel
Private schools are of choice, even to those living in Memorial. Even the "weathlier"in Sugar Land are chosing Strake and St. Agnus.
Frankly, public education in Tx is horrible. The suburban myth of salvation is a joke.
That HAS to be a LONGGGGG commute for those kids. Someone should open a private school out that way.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
are people seriously again trying to say that unless you live in the suburbs your family is going to get caught in some gun battle? no, that is not even close to the truth. there is a pretty substantial move INTO the city. homes around here are being bought up pretty quick for more and more money.

the benefit of the suburbs is it is cheaper. you get a larger house for less than or equal to a smaller house in the city. yes, there are exceptions of course. you can find million dollars homes nearly anywhere.

meyerland newly contrived? its been around since the 1960s

get to know your city beyond the grocery store in your suburb.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Meyerland has been around a while, but its only recently gotten hot due to the recent increases in Bellaire.Braes Heights falls in that category. Always there, alway nice middle class neighborhoods, but now more people talk about it because the houses are starting to get a little love or rebuilds are moving in.

I think there are plenty of nice areas in town, but prices keep most families out. Good schools price out most as well. The Nice neighborhood,old house and private school combo seems to be driving the revitilization of some previosly over looked areas.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 PM

so you say the same thing about W. Memorial/energy corridor? Been there awhile, hasn't always been so hot

Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
so you say the same thing about W. Memorial/energy corridor? Been there awhile, hasn't always been so hot
Was river oaks or "the villages" ever NOT hot, and do you have a time machine?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 PM

i dont know. I wasn't talking about River Oaks or whatever the "villages" are

i've lived in Houston long enough to remember the energy corridor as being very different

Old 08-07-2012, 06:50 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i dont know. I wasn't talking about River Oaks or whatever the "villages" are

i've lived in Houston long enough to remember the energy corridor as being very different
True, the energy corridor has changed. But Wilchester, because of schooling, has always been simmering. Now its boiling. It was bult for a different demographic than Meyerland. And before you get all Testy-Testmo....you should think about it. Good news is Meyerland is doing well, just like a lot of the CITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston