Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 AM

22 posts, read 137,637 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Houston area in a few months for an incredible job opportunity. We are trying to decide whether we should focus our search on Cinco Ranch or Sugar Land. My commute would not be an issue from either location. My spouse would be commuting to the Medical Center, so I'm not sure which location is more palatable for that. We can afford the type of house we want in either location, so that is not an issue.

We are most interested in the following issues:
- Quality of the public schools in the area - education is extremely important to us
- Lower crime (understand that Houston suburbs aren't the safest in general and we will have to get an alarm, but which area is better in this area?)
- Commute to the Medical Center
- Long-term stability of the area and home resale value (understand that certain areas in Houston have declined over time and would like to avoid this)

We appreciate your help and advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBackAgain View Post
We are trying to decide whether we should focus our search on Cinco Ranch or Sugar Land. My commute would not be an issue from either location. My spouse would be commuting to the Medical Center, so I'm not sure which location is more palatable for that.
Sugar Land.

Quote:
- Quality of the public schools in the area - education is extremely important to us
Good in both.

Quote:
- Lower crime (understand that Houston suburbs aren't the safest in general and we will have to get an alarm, but which area is better in this area?)
Both will have the typical suburban crime - car break-ins, mostly. If you're in Sugar Land city limits, you have the City of Sugar Land police department, which is a plus. Some areas of Sugar Land are not yet annexed but will be one day. Cinco Ranch is mostly unincorporated Houston, so you will depend on the county law enforcement (either Fort Bend or Harris, depending on your exact location) for crime response.

Quote:
- Commute to the Medical Center
Again, Sugar Land.

Quote:
- Long-term stability of the area and home resale value (understand that certain areas in Houston have declined over time and would like to avoid this)
Good in both, but may differ slightly depending on the exact location. The areas that are zoned to the best-performing schools tend to do the best with this, from what I've observed.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
Sugar Land. I would even say its worth it to look in Pearland, especially for a commute to the Med Centre.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I live in Sugar Land and I like it, but if you are talking about the master planned communities of Sugar Land vs. Cinco Ranch, they are more alike than different.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Sugar Land for the commute. Both for schools and value. Neither is a hotbed of crime activity..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM

246 posts, read 895,276 times
sugar land of course

cinco ranch, a lot of house break-in

Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default WHAT???? A Lot Of House Break ins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
sugar land of course

cinco ranch, a lot of house break-in
Is this guy for real? Cinco Ranch has more house break-ins than Sugar land? Please qualify this statement

Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM

53 posts, read 128,924 times
It takes me about 35 mins to go to and from the Med Center (MDA) from First Colony in Sugar Land.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Is this guy for real? Cinco Ranch has more house break-ins than Sugar land? Please qualify this statement
I agree, that guy needs to lay off the crack pipe. I live right next to Cinco and the wife left the garage door open with the car unlocked with keys and purse in the car all night. Woke up the next morning and everything was still there. While I do not recommend this seems like a pretty safe area to me.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM

302 posts, read 955,358 times
Outside of perhaps a shorter commute to the Medical center, I don't see any advantages to Sugarland... I have driven through it looking at new construction and don't like it... I'm not sure if the OP was looking at inventory homes or new constructions...

As for security, Cinco Ranch area is very safe... lived here for 5+ years and never had a problem... can't tell you how many times we left a door unlocked, keys in the front door or at the mailbox... never a problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston