Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 PM

17 posts, read 32,539 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Not sure if this belongs in this forum but I just moved into this new house and its been laid with a lot of travertine including kitchen floors and master shower. I know travertine is not easy to clean and great care should be taken. Ive already taken the first step and sealed all travertine surfaces with a quality sealer.

Can someone recommend a good product that is made specifically for travertine or natural stone that is safe to use on a weekly basis? THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
Is it honed and unfinished Travertine in the kitchen? You can use basic soap and warm water to clean the Travertine. Be sure not to use any abrasive cleaning products, since this can damage the natural stone ruin the overall finish that is on it to protect it. I sue MB-1 Stone Cleanear by MB Stone Care and it works pretty well.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
My travertine guy recommended DuPont, Stone Tech KlenzAll and Revitalizer & Protector. I order through their website, but a friend found them at ACE Hardware. They are good product and the big gallon lasts a long time. The Revitalizer & Cleaner you can also use for granite countertops.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM

142 posts, read 398,202 times
Avoid harsh chemicals. Use a steam cleaner instead.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Steam cleaner..and a have a professional come out ever 6 months to go after the grout.
It only takes having travertine once to make you a diehard wood floor fan.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Steam cleaner..and a have a professional come out ever 6 months to go after the grout.
It only takes having travertine once to make you a diehard wood floor fan.

Just wanted to understand your statement. My new house also has hardwood floor and I find the travertine much more durable and easier to clean. Im EXTREMELY careful around the hardwood floor as opposed to the travertine I do whatever I want around it. Although wood floor looks awesome, it is extremely hard to care for.

You guys mentioned steam cleaner but being that my travertine is sealed, wont the steam cleaner strip and wear down the sealer quicker?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nht8134 View Post
You guys mentioned steam cleaner but being that my travertine is sealed, wont the steam cleaner strip and wear down the sealer quicker?
Yes! Don't use steam cleaners. I actually got the same advice when I moved to my house from someone. And the travertine guy told me not to use it b/c it would strip away the sealed protectant.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
To the OP

You have to put sealant on every few years, in my experience, regardless of what you clean it with. Ace Hardware has some very safe floor products for the stone.

Yes, I find wood floors easier. My 60 year old wood floors have probably been restained and refurbished 3-4 times over those 60 years. Cleaning is a Swiffer and once a week with the hardwood floor cleaning kit, which is basically a spray and a terry cloth sham. No mopping!

I mistakenly put a high grade travertine in the kitchen 4 years ago, it already been resealed, and I have pros come out every 6 months. The grout situation is just gross, with kids, dogs, pool water and foot traffic. The 60 year old wood looks better than the 4 year old travertine. Most likely will pull it out after Christmas and put walnut in there as well. I've had wood floors in every house I've owned, and to me they are super easy.

JMHO.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
I have travertine in the bathrooms and just sweep it/spot clean with warm water... seems to be just fine since day one. doing it wrong?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 AM

Can you recommend a product that have worked for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston