Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM

148 posts, read 403,271 times

Advertisements

I'm a #1 although I'm in Westbury now. I've been here since 2004 and have always lived Inner Loop and rarely go outside the loop until recently. Everyhting I need is there or right outside (I work by the Galleria, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Where are the folks that want:

1. A house in the bestest of all school districts.
2. No Crime.
3. Walking distance to the mall, Trader Joe's, In-N-Out burger and Costco.
4. Right next to a high speed train.
5. No mosquitoes, snakes nor roaches.

..all for not more than $1000/per month?

Ronnie

Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
  1. Inner Loop--full of liberals and the creative class
  2. Inner Beltway--the rich conservatives that prop up John Culberson
  3. Inner Grand Parkway--people who moved to Houston before 2000 and stayed
  4. Outer Space--recent transplants and Houstonians who want a new house
I think its more like:

1. Inner Loop - full of dual income households with few children (or young children), or highly educated professionals making 6 figure incomes....the inner loop is quickly appreciating out of the affordable range of the liberals and creative class.

2. Inner Beltway - Hard working rich conservatives who are the business owners, or highly educated professionals who employ 3 and 4.

3. Inner Grand Parkway - Most young families and non-professionals who want safe/affordable housing.

4. Outer space - with the exception of Katy - people who just want to be near a city but not actually in one.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
It appears some folks here know absolutely nothing about ~60% of the inner loop and ~80% off the "inner beltway", assuming that means the area between the loop and beltway.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It appears some folks here know absolutely nothing about ~60% of the inner loop and ~80% off the "inner beltway", assuming that means the area between the loop and beltway.
Pretty sure folks are just generalizing here...I dont think people are trying to just point out the exceptions to the generalizations....

Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Pretty sure folks are just generalizing here...I dont think people are trying to just point out the exceptions to the generalizations....
At least half of the inner loop is shunned and 100% avoided by people who live "in the loop"... and the vast majority of the area between 8 and 610 is absolutely nothing like Memorial to the EC. People here so far have pointed out the exceptions rather than the rules. This thread is asinine.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
At least half of the inner loop is shunned and 100% avoided by people who live "in the loop"... and the vast majority of the area between 8 and 610 is absolutely nothing like Memorial to the EC. People here so far have pointed out the exceptions rather than the rules. This thread is asinine.
I find nothing inaccurate in that post.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:04 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
  1. Inner Loop--full of liberals and the creative class
  2. Inner Beltway--the rich conservatives that prop up John Culberson
  3. Inner Grand Parkway--people who moved to Houston before 2000 and stayed
  4. Outer Space--recent transplants and Houstonians who want a new house
Like this one!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,618 times
I hate it when people stay in one little area.. I grew up in Copperfield and my parents left that area very rarely.. I probably went inside the loop 10 times and half of that was with school or my grandparents for one special event or outing like the zoo or a baseball game. I moved to Los Angeles at 17 and have explored every inch of it. I love going somewhere new even if it's an hour drive! If I do move back to Texas I will certainly do the same there.. there is so much more to life than living in a bubble..! Where I work in Los Angeles (west side / Santa Monica) people don't leave that area either.. the valley (where I live) is only 20 minutes away and people act like it's 3 hours.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
My opinion on Houston

Inner-Loop-
  • Full of new grads from out-of-town who are looking to burn their income on the "new-hip" apartments that are popping up, and burn it on all the new restaurants/bars which seem to want to cash in on the naivete and consumerism of the young professional.

Developers playground where they tear-down and build whatever they please instead of preserving history. And unfortunately Houstonians tend to look at something new and "happening" then they hand over their money.

Some quite eclectic and interesting neighborhoods that have managed to live on despite the development around them, this tends to be for the more creative types. This happens to be my favorite type of area. A place where you can meet people that are from all different backgrounds.

There is Downtown which is deserted after working hours up until a few years ago when Houstonians realized "hey maybe we should take advantage of this location and have things to do after business hours"

Third Ward/ which the OP conveniently forgot

The VERY wealthy areas (Rice Village, Allen Parkway, Bellaire etc.) where established Houstonians who have made a fortune reside and enjoy the beautiful neighborhoods and great location.

3 Universities.

Beltway 8 Loop:
  • Between 610 Beltway 8 there tends to be where the ghetto of Houston tends to reside.

Places like Alief, Greenspoint, Westchase, Clear Lake, South Houston,Gulfton,Sharpstown etc.

There are a few affluent areas(River Oaks) but for the most part its pretty run-down.

Outside the Beltway:
  • Major Suburbs, Katy,Woodlands, Sugar Land, Humble, Pearland etc.

For the most part these suburbs are largely copies of one another, all of them have a mall, a "town center", decent to good schools, family oriented environments.

Anything beyond 10 miles of the Beltway is just too far out IMO. Its ridiculous if you live that far out, you're looking at a 40min. drive into the loop with traffic factored in. And with all the traffic lately even without rush hour you still will take 30-40 mins. to get into the heart of the city if you live far beyond Beltway 8.

I'm sure I left out a lot but I think this is very comprehensive. I believe that an outer-towner would be able to get a good idea of Houston from my lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston