Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,116 times

Advertisements

My husband accepted a job at MD Anderson and we moved here over the summer. We were in a rush to find a house so he could begin working. We ended up in a small pocket of Willow Meadows that is right inside the loops. It's a very tight knit neighborhood consisting of only a few blocks and we find it hard to meet anyone here.

In addition, my kids were zoned for a title I school and are being taught about 3 grades below their abilities. We live in a neighborhood with homes valued from 400K-2M, but my kids go to a title I. I've tried to get them into a better program at their school, but I'm starting to feel either home school or private school is a better option-- neither of which I want to do.

And to top it off, my wallet was stolen out of my purse in a local restaurant.

I work at home, running a very successful writing and lifestyle coaching business (fitness and nutrition, not new age stuff). So I don't get out in the community too often.

So far, I am very unhappy here, but I know this city has great things to offer. I am hoping that by sharing this, I can be lead in the right direction so I don't end up crying in my bedroom everyday. Okay, that won't happen. But I would like to adjust and adapt to living here without feeling hopeless.

Thanks for reading and sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,984 times
Contact your local HOA to see what events they have in place for your specific community. HISD isn't the best school district and for that most residents within the inner loop opt for private school vs public school.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,991 times
Also, meetup.com is a pretty darn cool place to attend meets and events that are in tune with your interests. I do photography meetups when I have Saturdays free

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,325 times
I'm really sorry you feel this way. However, when I moved here 23 years ago I felt the exact same way! First things first...whats done is done, you purchased a house where the schools are not up to par. I do think that if you can afford it, private school may be a great option. Your kids education comes first. You never know, you and your kids may end up loving it. If you can't afford it, there are plenty of options that make homeschooling easy on everyone involved(online,etc.) At the same time, be researching other areas to live in and you could move next summer. I know, it's a real pain but in the end it will be worth it. Houston does grow on many people. You had some bad experiences, but don't let that stop you. Houston really is a great place to live(minus the lousy summers).

Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,893 times
Read the post I added for Myelliana new in houston

I moved her 5 years ago Inner loop and also work from home. The friends we have are old friends from years ago and some new ones mostly on spouses' side. I've been able to slowly make my own lady friends through my DD's school, or just going out and doing things by myself. If I stay in the house things will not change.

If you are into fitness, join a biking or a running group or join a bootcamp class in the outdoors. Smaller groups tend to chit chat at the end of the sessions and learn more about each other other (rather than a gym). If you look on any of these mom's groups from the link above there are penty of social events for people who are similar to you. From mom's night out to private and public school forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,922 times
Send the kids to private school. That is my advice...as far as the other stuff, I can't help you there.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,962 times
First move your kids to a school where they can get a great education...usually a great education means great parents too...It does not matter how a great a school is, or how great the teachers are, or how new the building is if the parents are not behind the kids pushing and encouraging they will do more poorly....Once you have your kids in a place that is good for them get involved with their school.

I don't think my parents have even one friend left that they did not meet through interactions through our School, school events, or sports. About half of our current friends are from our kids schools/birthday parties, etc now as well and my kids are only 2 and 6months...

There is hope, but when you work in your house and you dont force yourself to interact the world can become a very solitary place...

Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
It is funny how so many people assume that everyone can afford private school. It would cause my family a lot of financial stress to pay for private school, which would cause more problems than it would solve.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
I would guess if you are in a 400k home that you could afford private

Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM

482 posts, read 875,132 times
The private schools we looked at were 10-20k/yr, she has 3 kids, that is not chump change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: