Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I remember just 10 years ago when there were hardly any Vietnamese or Asian people in TW.

Now its like 5% Asian up from 3% back then.

We used to have to go to Veterans Memorial in NW Houston to eat Pho.
Our s-i-l loves pho. He gets it on every visit to Houston He is working his way down Stuebner airline, looking for the best. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeeveryoneelse View Post
There is a school just a few blocks that is a texas exemplary school and has been for the majority of the last decade. Ill be honest, i dont know what constitues a "good" school, but im assuming that must be a decent one.
Misleading to say the least, you're not being very helpful. East Early College HS is a charter school, no doubt there's a lottery to get it, otherwise you're stuck with the local public schools. Not something anyone would seriously recommend.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 54,414 times
So guys, any recommendations (i need names pls) for good elementary schools in The Woodlands area.... as well as apartment complexes? hope to get some feedback !! Thanks in advance

Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Galatas, Deretchen(sp), Buckalew, Tough, David, Powell...these are all excellent schools. Apts are too numerous to mention. Just ask what schools they feed into when searching.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 PM

162 posts, read 554,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Misleading to say the least, you're not being very helpful. East Early College HS is a charter school, no doubt there's a lottery to get it, otherwise you're stuck with the local public schools. Not something anyone would seriously recommend.

Actually the school next to me is a public school. Cage elementary. Since the OP said she has a 5 year old, im assuming that she needs an elementary school. Case has the highest rating of stars on HAR, and on the sign outside notes numerous recent years its been a texas exemplary school.

Not misleading at all. and as far as i can see, being very helpful. quit trying to find issues with everywhere, and accept that people have options, even inside the loop.
There are very few places you can go in the greater houston area where you DONT have the option of finding a decent school and a place under 700 bucks a month for rent. It may not be everyones choice and thats OK. but at least admit there are options out there, should someone be of the persuasion to take them.

That being said, the OP has obviously made up their mind to choose the woodlands, so this argument is pretty moot.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM

14 posts, read 49,745 times
Hi OP, I made an account to hopefully help you out. I lived in The Woodlands from November 2008 when I got married to April 2011. I lived in two apartments in the same complex, Holly Creek. We paid between 600 and 720 when we lived there. I just checked their website and they have a one bedroom for $770 and a two bedroom for $895. We were pretty happy living there. The complex is older (maybe 1970s or 1980s) but no problems. Never had any issues with crime. Neighbors were always quiet. The only issue I will tell you about because I want to be honest is roaches in the second apartment coming from the bathroom fan. That is the only part of the apartment they came from, so I think they were coming from the apartment upstairs. I know, totally gross. But we did not have problems in the first apartment we lived in so I really think it was that particular upstairs neighbor!

And, it is literally right next to Ride Elementary, exemplary school! Woodlands schools are very good in general.

I really think you should check them out because I think it's some sort of secret in The Woodlands. I always hear people saying you cannot live anywhere in The Woodlands for under $1000 a month but it's not true. We moved because we wanted to buy a house and houses in The Woodlands ARE expensive.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 AM

342 posts, read 803,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiasay2012 View Post
So guys, any recommendations (i need names pls) for good elementary schools in The Woodlands area.... as well as apartment complexes? hope to get some feedback !! Thanks in advance
Most, if not all the elementary schools are great. The schools deeper in The Woodlands probaly dress more preppier than those from Grogan's to Panther Creek. As for aI would avoid Wood Glen, not enough privacy and definitely avoid Grogan's Landing, the worse of all the apartments in The Woodlands. Parkside apartments in Grogan's Mill looks nice and well-kept. And they just opened a new apartment complex in GM in the back of Randall's, Dairy Queen, Fuddruckers and Woodforest Bank. I've cycled there many times, it is in a great setting with gates and it should be quiet from traffic. They are building more back there, so it is going to be very livable. If you live there, I believe this will be Hailey, or possibly Lamar Elementary. Just avoid apartments outside of The Woodlands, they are mostly rented by minority especially the one behind the McDonald's on I45-Rayford/Sawdust.

The Woodlands can be cheap, just check foreclose houses.
Talking to a friend who rents houses, it cost from $1200+ for his house in The Woodlands. I have another friend who owns a house in Imperial Oaks area which is outside The Woodlands, it cost around $1200 too. Renting is not cheap on houses anywhere there, it will get higher when Exxon moves in next year. As for minority, it is getting diversed from way back when I was living which was probaly 95% caucasian.

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/The_W...oreclosure_lt/

The Woodlands High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If priority for your kid is schooling, no better schools than those in The Woodlands. Underrated is that they have wide streets and just places to play. Good Luck on your choices and your next job wherever it is.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM

22 posts, read 54,414 times
Thank you all for your inputs !! I appreciate it ... now, it's time for me to go back to your suggestions (schools, apartments, etc) and dig deeper with more reaserch (besides the booklet I received in the mail from TW) which seems very helpful with its giant map!!

Hopefully, I will be able to find a descent job in the next few months .... As i mentioned in my 1st post, i work in the administrative / sales / export / languages field. Should I apply thru the companies's websites directly (in preference the one based in TW, or Northern Houston), or should I better contact the hiring agencies?? ... please share your toughts and any company names you may recommend !!

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM

9 posts, read 26,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiasay2012 View Post
As for Apartments I'll recommend some priced lowest to highest:
Forest View on S. Panther Creek
Grogan's Landing on Grogans Mill
The Park on Research Forest
Alexan Woods on Pruitt Road
Sterling Ridge Estates on Lake Woodlands
Whispering Pines Ranch on Research Forest
The Plantation on 242
Woodlands Lodge on South Millbend (newly built and incredibly fancy, comes with a big price tag though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston