Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM

925 posts, read 4,710,661 times

Advertisements

Good:

1) Houston is a cheap city. Salaries are pretty good and you can easily afford a nice big house
2) Cultural: Houston has very good culture and you will find many different types of people. Good food!
3) Houston has lots of jobs, specially in the oil industry.

Bad:

1) Heat and Humidity is painful
2) Sea sucks. Although we have Galveston but it pretty much sucks! Stinking water with rats running around on the piers.
3) Mosquitoes, wasps, ants are pretty crazy in summer times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM

150 posts, read 306,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2011 View Post
Hi All,

I am considering moving to Houston. I visited Dallas, TX and fell in love unfortunately my company doesn't have an office in Dallas so I'm considering Houston. I'm from the East Coast from the Washington DC metro area and currently live in the Midwest. I am not really feeling the Midwest (no offense to any Midwesterns!). I miss living close (or in) to a major city with close to a million plus in population. I miss cultural diversity. I miss being able to have something to do on my free time and having a variety of options. I'm miss the smell of fresh air and a large body of water. Anyways, I need everyone's honest opinion on Houston. I've heard mixed reviews on Houston from folks that aren't even from Houston.

I'm young (mid 20s) single professional. Is Houston a good place for young single professionals? How's the nightlife? Are folks in Houston welcoming to outsiders? Is crime as bad as they say (can't be as bad as DC)?

Any responses are greatly appreciate. Feel free to send me a private message as well. Thanks!
You really need an opinion from someone who relocated from the east to Houston. Most people who consider this place are looking for low cost of living and jobs. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. It is not very cheap here as people believe. Cost for housing is going up and there is a problem with people finding employment unless you are looking for a low service paying job. The traffic is worst than New York City, and it is incredibly more than 6 months out of the year with mosquitos problems.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
I like your outlook , you all also have unlimited homestead act, I am considering moving there as I met someone that lives and works in Houston 77056 area. I am not a city girl so where would you recommend I should buy, I Am willing to spend around the 300-400 amount and I also have horses And dogs.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
First off. If you love Dallas you probably will not like Houston. Houston is Diverse, close to an amazing and historic coastal town...Galveston. It has nearby lakes, museums and outside of Chicago and NYC the bes Theater district in the Country. Amazing dining, lots of festivals and things to do every weekend if you dont want to spend your time on CD complaining about nothing to do. You can kayak,sail,fish,boat,hunt,run,bike,sightsee,go to horesracing,dogracing,dog show,NFL,NBA,MLB,Soccer,art,and have access to great dining too

Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
First off. If you love Dallas you probably will not like Houston. Houston is Diverse, close to an amazing and historic coastal town...Galveston. It has nearby lakes, museums and outside of Chicago and NYC the bes Theater district in the Country. Amazing dining, lots of festivals and things to do every weekend if you dont want to spend your time on CD complaining about nothing to do. You can kayak,sail,fish,boat,hunt,run,bike,sightsee,go to horesracing,dogracing,dog show,NFL,NBA,MLB,Soccer,art,and have access to great dining too
Oh please! You are smoking crack. I lived in Houston for three decades, and I have lived in DFW as well. DFW has far more green, far better parks, far more lakes; if you have kids far better sports organizations using far better quality fields. They have better dining (though Houston dining is very good, Dallas is better). They do have bad traffic, but not near as bad as Houston.

More concerts, more national and world class events in Dallas. More sports on offer. Both have good nightlife. DFW does not have the stiffling hummidity that Houston does, nor does it rain as much. It actually has amusement parks. Better libraries.

What's left? What advantages does Houston have? I would say that Houston has a great theater scene. Houston is closer to the coast (but who wants to go into Galveston waters? That is the most disgusting, nauseating beaches I have ever seen). Houston is reknowned for their number and quality of strip clubs. Ummmm ... yeah, that's about it for Houston.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Even I know your post is biased.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
I've made a great life in Houston since moving here from DFW in 1995. I only lived in DFW 8 years. Houston has soul. DFW lacks soul. My opinion.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Anyone who claims Dallas is more green and then admits Houston gets more rain is full of it. Not logical.
Almost all of the rest of this post is untrue as well. Dallitude has fogged someone's brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Oh please! You are smoking crack. I lived in Houston for three decades, and I have lived in DFW as well. DFW has far more green, far better parks, far more lakes; if you have kids far better sports organizations using far better quality fields. They have better dining (though Houston dining is very good, Dallas is better). They do have bad traffic, but not near as bad as Houston.

More concerts, more national and world class events in Dallas. More sports on offer. Both have good nightlife. DFW does not have the stiffling hummidity that Houston does, nor does it rain as much. It actually has amusement parks. Better libraries.

What's left? What advantages does Houston have? I would say that Houston has a great theater scene. Houston is closer to the coast (but who wants to go into Galveston waters? That is the most disgusting, nauseating beaches I have ever seen). Houston is reknowned for their number and quality of strip clubs. Ummmm ... yeah, that's about it for Houston.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
We have a better football team. So THERE!

Ronnie

Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Anyone who claims Dallas is more green and then admits Houston gets more rain is full of it. Not logical.
Go look at the green belts they keep around the city. Maybe the country areas outside of the city are not as green but the city itself is far more green. Also has vastly superior and far more attractive parks and far more lakes. The fields for youth sports are immaculate and pristine compared to the utter crap that most of our/Houston's leagues make use of.

Quote:
Almost all of the rest of this post is untrue as well. Dallitude has fogged someone's brain.
Nope. I don't live in Dallas. I did for a time, but not that long really. I'm curently in Midland, and working on moving to Austin actually. My business moves me around alot. You however sound like someone who has never been to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston