Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I was born and raised in Houston, but I've lived out-of-state the last nine years. I'm trying to convince my fiancé that we should give Houston a look-see when our lease is up here, as we are certain we'd no longer like to live in Saint Louis.

The trouble so far has been finding a good website for apartment hunting. Craigslist seems full of spam and/or outrageously priced townhouses. Everything else seems like nothing but apartment complexes...which are fine, but we'd be interested in other rental units, i.e. small homes for rent. Any ideas for alternatives?

As I mentioned, I haven't lived in the area for awhile, but I visit at least yearly since my parents still live there. As a person who has transportation limits, and is relatively young and interested in a wide variety of art, music, and history, the Montrose area has always appealed to me. What other areas should I look at that are not crazy expensive? If I could easily walk (I know, walking is unacceptable in Houston, but I am unable to drive due to a medical issue), or take a short bus trip to a decent grocery store and, say, a Target, I'd be happy. My man-friend is a chef, so proximity to decent restaurants a plus.

Thanks for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 AM

162 posts, read 554,285 times
Personally i recommend coming and getting a motel or staying at a friends, or with your parents, or wherever you can, and then just driving around and looking for for rent signs (if you cant drive, maybe your parents could take a few hours and take you around). Pick the area that you want....montrose/heights/med center or wherever and just drive up and down all the side streets. Itll cost you 20 bucks in gas and a couple hours of time, but youll get a lot more options.

There are tons of websites, but generally the listings you will find are from large apartment complexes, and places owned by large corporations and real estate companies, etc.
Since you mentioned small homes, or other rentail units that arent townhomes/apt complexes, your best bet is to spend a couple days driving around and calling all the numbers that you see, you will find a LOT of stuff that doesnt get listed, and is single property owner owned.

I found a great super cheap place that way that i am happy with (as opposed to the large apt complex i got online when i first moved), and i know a few other people on this board have mentioned they also found places they enjoy that way. Generally its a lot cheaper than going with the large company owned complexes, and you get something with more character.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,484 times
I have found that doing a google search for "for rent local houses " or "for rent local houses houston" will pull up local property managements' websites and city specific local house/apartment sites, which list their available houses and duplexes. I agree craigslist is full of spam and apartment complexes. I don't trust it much anymore.

Good luck, if you are still considering moving.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
You can look on har.com

Montrose is more expensive for anything that is not small and in a multiplex or inside of a crowded, larger complex.. but there is so much to do in the area and it is probably the most walkable neighborhood in Houston (although I think Chinatown/Bellaire blvd could compete).

Look into the Heights. It is a little cheaper, pretty walkable, very bikable thanks to the awesome bike trails and lanes, has music, nightlife, art (esp on White Oak), and is actually right next to Montrose. The retail choices have grown exponentially in the past few years.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,692 times
The realtor.com site has a choice for looking at homes for sale or rentals. Within the rental section, you can choose apartment complexes or houses/condos. Try that site to look for a place to rent. Good luck and welcome back!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 PM

360 posts, read 665,697 times
Har.com has an option to select homes for lease.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM

58 posts, read 130,581 times
trulia and zillow are good, put for rent as the option and put your maximum amount in. Yeah all the annoying apartments are there unless you filter results more, but so are houses and small unit apartment complexes or townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston