Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,578 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Houston in three weeks and although I have visited,I am not familiar with the lifestyle of the area. Are the bugs bad?? I hate bugs so much and I want to be as prepared as I can be. Also, what is the city like? I am coming from Portland, Maine. Will I hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
Take it like a man. Prepare to downgrade your definition of fun and exciting and beautiful. you might hate it, so don't make any commitments
bugs come and go. we absolutely do not have bugs these days and I haven't applied any insecticide.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Living nearly my whole life here, I've seen these bugs:

Gnats
Love bugs
Fire ants
"Sugar" ants (non-stinging)
House Flies (and maggots)
little green flies with clear wings
Horse flies
Mosquitos
Crane flies
Dragonflies
Grasshoppers
Crickets
June bugs
Water beetles
Leaf-foot beetles
Stink beetles
Cottonwood borers
Stag beetles
Roaches (small, medium, large, and 3-inchers that fly!)
Honey bees
Bumble bees
Red wasps
Black wasps (mud daubers)
Yellow Jackets/hornets
Brown moths
Butterflies
Caterpillars/larva
Silverfish
Earwigs
Brown house spiders
Crab spiders
Brown recluse & black widow spiders (poisonous)
Tarantulas (small, <2 inches across)

You'll see all of the above, but they won't be en masse, except for maybe gnats, love bugs, mosquitos and June bugs depending on the time of year. Dragonflies were pretty heavy on the SE side this year and that is always a very good thing.

Deeper into Texas you'll see all of those, even more bugs, snakes and scorpions. Although Houston has a few snakes, mostly harmless grass or bull-nose snakes. They are your toad, lizard, gecko and frog eaters... and we have plenty of those too!

It's safe to say the vast majority of Texans who have lived here awhile have been stung really bad by fire ants, which can be viscious if you step in them... as well as stung by a bee/wasp/hornet at least once or twice.

And someone please let me know if I've forgotten any ''bugs'' above.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
you forgot aphids and these types that suck the life out of my doomed plants.
snails, leeches.
those loud ones from new orleans

Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 AM

182 posts, read 702,084 times
Originally from New England myself, I would say the summer heat will be an adjustment for you. We moved over from Florida, so I had some experience with it already.

The bug life is way different in the south. The ants are really really mean and the winters don't kill or send away much. And, they've got some really big, Texas-sized mosquitos here : o

Miss the seasons, but lifes a journey, right.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:31 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,381 times
The only bugs that are really gonna bug you are going to be the water bugs... like GIANT cockroaches, and they fly... in your face.

Go to the Home Depot bug section, get some powdered boric acid, spread around in cabinets, behind the fridge and range and in/on other cracks, but not where animals or kids can slurp it up. The roaches love the stuff, then they explode....

Almost as good as feeding Tabasco to mosquitoes.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,847 times
There is a lots of bugs, a many of them seem a lot bigger than in other places. You will just have to get used to it.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 AM

6 posts, read 21,181 times
can you please honestly tell me if those repulsive 3 inches roaches really fly in your face? are there like lots and lots just flying by.... like if you go to the store, there just flying?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 AM

799 posts, read 3,694,631 times
no, roaches aren't just out flying around. You hardly ever see them.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 AM

799 posts, read 3,694,631 times
You really should visit awhile before you make a decision to move. Some people love it here, others hate it. Maine is a whole different way of life. You may suffer from culture shock. You won't be happy unless this is something you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston