Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM

392 posts, read 1,001,052 times

Advertisements

I would get there and wait in line before they open up.

If you don't want to wait in line heres a link to a bushmaster on armslist ARMSLIST - For Sale: Bushmaster AR 15

Lol retails $900 but on special for $3,000 /trollface

Old 12-24-2012, 06:25 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,806,085 times
The pre-ban Colts got up all the way to $2000. Bushmasters were around $1800
I sold a few during that time. It comes in handy just to collect them and not even fire most of them.
I think this ban is going to be worse so I won't sale anything even for a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
I would get there and wait in line before they open up.

If you don't want to wait in line heres a link to a bushmaster on armslist ARMSLIST - For Sale: Bushmaster AR 15

Lol retails $900 but on special for $3,000 /trollface

Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,336,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlol View Post
you don't need guns, comrade. big nanny government will protect you. that's what all those drones are for! and hpd...an hpd officer on every corner in land of the free!
When seconds count, the police are minutes away... assuming I bother to call them at all. I'm afraid if I called HPD for help they'd spend the first few minutes on scene checking to see if my safety inspection was up to date on my car. You know, can't miss an opportunity to grab an extra $125.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 PM

18,158 posts, read 25,383,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlol View Post
you don't need guns, comrade. big nanny government will protect you. that's what all those drones are for! and hpd...an hpd officer on every corner in land of the free!
Nice post

Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,806,085 times
You two should get a room together....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nice post

Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM

799 posts, read 2,446,312 times
There are gun shows here all the time, Id say more than one a month, close to 20 a year. The main ones are at GRB, and in Pasadena. I think there may be one in Conroe from time to time. I think its pretty curious, but I still go every once in awhile. Some of the vendors have retail stores, some do not, and the shows are their only gun business. Ive read on gun forums that some of the vendors that do have retail stores have vastly different business practices at shows vs retail.

Typically, shows can be the cheapest place to buy a handgun, and they are the best way to try out a large assortment of guns to see what fits your hand best, etc., all in one day. I have found that Tomball Pawn and AGR Outdoors both come VERY close to gun shows prices on common guns like Glocks, etc. neither one can match the inventory youll find at a gun show on their own.

On the AR point, your best bet is to scour local retailers. My fraternity brother called me Sunday about noon from Bass Pro in Pearland, asking about a couple different models. They had two different Colt AR's for right around $1250, and Bushmaster's for around $950. I begged him to pick one up for me, but he already had taken a number, and they said he would have to wait again to buy more than one. He had already waited two hours with six month old twins, so no dice. So, your best bet is to time a delivery at a big corporate type store like Academy, Bass Pro, etc. A small business owner will be more likely to have to pay more from a distributor, or just jack it up to "market" prices.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
There are gun shows here all the time, Id say more than one a month, close to 20 a year. The main ones are at GRB, and in Pasadena. I think there may be one in Conroe from time to time. I think its pretty curious, but I still go every once in awhile. Some of the vendors have retail stores, some do not, and the shows are their only gun business. Ive read on gun forums that some of the vendors that do have retail stores have vastly different business practices at shows vs retail.

Typically, shows can be the cheapest place to buy a handgun, and they are the best way to try out a large assortment of guns to see what fits your hand best, etc., all in one day. I have found that Tomball Pawn and AGR Outdoors both come VERY close to gun shows prices on common guns like Glocks, etc. neither one can match the inventory youll find at a gun show on their own.

On the AR point, your best bet is to scour local retailers. My fraternity brother called me Sunday about noon from Bass Pro in Pearland, asking about a couple different models. They had two different Colt AR's for right around $1250, and Bushmaster's for around $950. I begged him to pick one up for me, but he already had taken a number, and they said he would have to wait again to buy more than one. He had already waited two hours with six month old twins, so no dice. So, your best bet is to time a delivery at a big corporate type store like Academy, Bass Pro, etc. A small business owner will be more likely to have to pay more from a distributor, or just jack it up to "market" prices.
Good advice -- will just be persistent in calling folks!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,974,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Just keep them lubricated and they'll be good. People have working guns from the revolutionary war -- a good gun will literally last hundreds of years.

On that note -- I'd never buy a cheap gun just to save a few hundred bucks. They won't appreciate and may only last a few hundred rounds, whereas a well manufactured gun (Colt, S&W, Winchester, etc) will be such that your grandkids are fighting over it when you're long gone.
Yep, just keep them cleaned and oiled and they should be good. You might have to replace a spring or something eventually in a semiautomatic, but that would be minor. Revolvers are even less maintenance. The only thing I am unsure of is how often (if ever?) the barrel would need to be rebored.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM

392 posts, read 1,001,052 times
Did you happen to see any 30rd steel M4 mags while you were there? What where they going for?

I have about a dozen from from my Army days.

I have seen them as high as $100 a piece online. Mag AR-15 Colt Factory GI Issued M16 30 Round

Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
Did you happen to see any 30rd steel M4 mags while you were there? What where they going for?

I have about a dozen from from my Army days.

I have seen them as high as $100 a piece online. Mag AR-15 Colt Factory GI Issued M16 30 Round
Sadly, I wasn't able to make it out for the show. If you have some stuff like that to sell though, you can put em' on Gunbroker.com -- best site for 2nd hand gun / equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston