Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times

Advertisements

Strangley the are keeping the Fountain View location open. The least nice of all of them.

Rice Epicurean Markets closing four stores; only one to remain open | abc13.com

Freshmarket is nice though. Its like Whole Foods meets Trader Joes. But I like it better than those two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Strangley the are keeping the Fountain View location open. The least nice of all of them.

Rice Epicurean Markets closing four stores; only one to remain open | abc13.com

Freshmarket is nice though. Its like Whole Foods meets Trader Joes. But I like it better than those two.

Thats close to my house. I don't shop there though, they are too high priced, maybe that's why they're going out of business. I'll stick with HEB up the street.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Thats close to my house. I don't shop there though, they are too high priced, maybe that's why they're going out of business. I'll stick with HEB up the street.
I agree. It seems high-end grocery stores are on their way out.

This excludes Whole Foods, which has a bizarre, cult-like following.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Give it time mate. Economically "Whole Foods" don't make any sense in Houston and they will be out in no time

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I agree. It seems high-end grocery stores are on their way out.

This excludes Whole Foods, which has a bizarre, cult-like following.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Can't beat Central Market on Westheimer for variety.

I did like Rice's on Memorial, though.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
I grab a few Mexican-ish type things from Central Market on the occasional lunchbreak when the wife wants to cook up something 'different'. I can understand how that place would easily take business away from the Rice Epicurian nearby.

BTW- the vibe in those particular high end grocery stores creep me out, almost like I've stepped into a time machine.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I grab a few Mexican-ish type things from Central Market on the occasional lunchbreak when the wife wants to cook up something 'different'. I can understand how that place would easily take business away from the Rice Epicurian nearby.

BTW- the vibe in those particular high end grocery stores creep me out, almost like I've stepped into a time machine.
That's because the wealthy of Houston dress like often times dress in dated clothes and wear dated hair styles (not to mention the tendency for spandax and toes of the, well, you know).

Any women who are wealthy that post on here are excluded of course.

I imagine they are pretty nicely coiffed with a mixture of clothes that actually come from Nordstrom's or greater as opposed to TJMaxx.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Overly expensive is the downfall, but Freshmarket will be more aimed to specialty as well. I really only went to Rice for specific yummies or just wanted to run in for milk and not deal with massive crowds. but mostly the T&C Randalls fits that bill.

On the flip, I've taken to avoiding the mega HEBs, like the one on Bunker Hill. While I loved it when it opened, the shopping experience has become more of an endurance event and obstacle course. Like commuting, I don't have the patience to deal with the volume of people crushed in there any more...ambling down the middle of the aisle, having in-depth conversations on their cellphones, and not paying attention to other shoppers.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Give it time mate. Economically "Whole Foods" don't make any sense in Houston and they will be out in no time
And you base your opinion on what exactly? Whole Foods Kirby and Waugh locations are always busy. Plenty of people afford to shop there.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That's because the wealthy of Houston dress like often times dress in dated clothes and wear dated hair styles (not to mention the tendency for spandax and toes of the, well, you know).

Any women who are wealthy that post on here are excluded of course.

I imagine they are pretty nicely coiffed with a mixture of clothes that actually come from Nordstrom's or greater as opposed to TJMaxx.
Truly wealthy people dress like they want. I know many who have substantial means at their disposal that dress quite normally. I find that those who are simply putting on airs are usually the ones who strive to keep up with fashion trends. I guess that's all they have. Pretending can be fun, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston