Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times

Advertisements

One of Houston's best feature is it's extensive and diverse dining scene - everything from high-end, valet- parking fine dining, to the local, no nonsense greasy food truck. It especially has a wide variety of fairly authentic (my opinion, of course) ethnic eateries. In many, you almost feel as though you are eating in some far away place, enjoying the same food, but without the added expense of an airplane ticket, terrible pollution or traffic, questional food quality (i.e. is this really "chicken" or someones lost pet?), and an unstable government/armed conflict.

Yesterday I enjoyed lunch at a local Cajun seafood joint. The food was great (dozen oysters for $5.95!), but equally great was the ambiance and clientele. Heard between two guys at separate tables was "Yeah, I'm a pastor, started my own church, and they're never gonna take away my guns" and not heard was two very sweet-looking, frail elderly couple who slowly shuffled in, ordered their usual gumbo, and proceeded to eat their entire meal in silence. The place? Lafayette Cajun Seafood Restaurant.

Here are some of my other favorite places/foods:

1. Nguyen Ngo - banh mi, the Vietnamese subway-like sandwhich. I like chicken, or their "dac biet" 3-meat special.
2. Cafe Kubo - Osaka-style takoyaki
3. Bodard Bistro - nem noung nha trang. Great, light meal for during hot summer months.
4. Kasra - very good freshly baked Persian pita, Chicken Sultani and Cherry-Almond rice.
5. Krishna Chaat House. Don't know the name, but the yoghurt/tamarind puri was good.
6. Pho Dien - respectable pho, mainly because they do not use as much MSG as other places.
7. Banh Cuon Tay Ho - sweet potato with shrimp fitters seved with a large plate of fresh herbs and lettuce. Another good choice for hot summer nights.
8. LaFayette Cajun Seafood Restaurant - value-priced local oysters, fish, and anything deep-fried.

Many others I can't think of right now, but will post as it occurs to me.

So, what are some of YOUR favorite "hidden gem" restaurants and/or must-have menu item? Let's share them so we all could partake in some good eats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
8, 8, 8, 8.

I loooooooooove LaFayette!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: