Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,397,409 times

Advertisements

I always hear that there aren't any interesting things to do In Houston, which is a big myth.

Here are some cool things that are coming up.

February 21,2015 is the day to go to Discovery Green. Not only do you get to go to their Flea Market, it's also the Lunar Festival. I think the lunar festival is part of the Chinese New Year?

Add in the Grove restaurant or a picnic and you have a day of fun in this great weather.

Events Calendar - Discovery Green, Houston, Texas

MFAH is always free on Thursdays, and it is open till 9:00 so you can go after work.
If you go on the 15th of February they are having their "loading dock" sale in the gift shop.

Free yoga at the Rienzi on March 22, and then you get to tour for free.
http://www.mfah.org/calendar/yoga-ga...ar-2015/10808/

spring Equinox star party March 7 at the Arboretum.
http://houstonarboretum.org/events/s...-party-032115/

Armand Bayou is fun for hiking and lots of photography opportunities. You can also see their buffalo and an early farm home. I've never done the boat or kayak tour, but it's on my list.
http://www.abnc.org/things-to-do/pon...t-cruises.html

The first and third Sundays of the month are free for entry. That's right...free.;

Alley theater production of "as you like it".

Last edited by Meyerland; 02-14-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:13 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I always hear that there aren't any interesting things to do In Houston, which is a big myth.

Here are some cool things that are coming up.

February 21,2015 is the day to go to Discovery Green. Not only do you get to go to their Flea Market, it's also the Lunar Festival. I think the lunar festival is part of the Chinese New Year?

Add in the Grove restaurant or a picnic and you have a day of fun in this great weather.

Events Calendar - Discovery Green, Houston, Texas

MFAH is always free on Thursdays, and it is open till 9:00 so you can go after work.
If you go on the 15th of February they are having their "loading dock" sale in the gift shop.

Free yoga at the Rienzi on March 22, and then you get to tour for free.
MFAH | Yoga in the Gardens at Rienzi - Sunday, March 22, 2015 @ 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM

spring Equinox star party March 7 at the Arboretum.
Spring Equinox Star Party - Houston Arboretum & Nature Center

Armand Bayou is fun for hiking and lots of photography opportunities. You can also see their buffalo and an early farm home. I've never done the boat or kayak tour, but it's on my list.
Pontoon Boat Cruises : Armand Bayou Nature Center
And tonight is going to be a big night in Galveston ,

Houston Annual Events

"No matter what time of year you're visiting Houston, there are plenty of events to make your trip unforgettable. Discover community events such as art fairs, cultural festivals and markets in unique venues.

Curious about when your favorite event is taking place? Search our event calendar by the type of event for a complete listing. If you've already scheduled your Houston excursion, see what events will be happening by searching our calendar of events. With so many awesome events throughout the year, there's always something special happening in Houston, Texas! "

Houston Annual Events Calendar- Things to Do - Visit Houston Texas

Old 02-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Yes, we did Mardis Gras in Galveston last year. It was so much fun! I highly recommend it.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:36 PM

87 posts, read 117,604 times
We did Mardi Gras last weekend with my parents and had a great time. It's a great family event outside The Strand...calm, no drunks and nice people.

Saw Cirque Du Soleil Amaluna last night and it was AAAmazing!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:30 PM

The Miller outdoor Theater starts back up in late March. It's always fun to bring a blanket or chairs and picnic during a performance.

We try to get a big group together and everyone brings some wine/food and we have a wine tasting and buffet. Super casual and fun! The best part is that it's free.
http://milleroutdoortheatre.com/events/625/

Old 02-15-2015, 02:38 PM

Get in the mood for the upcoming rodeo...

Eat at Goode Co. armadillo Palace. Great vibe and unique to Houston. Part honky Tonk/kinda like a museum/and BBQ chicken, chicken fried steak, and some Mexican entrees.

Armadillo Palace - Goode Company, Houston Texas - Restaurants, Catering, Pecan Pies & More!

Don't go if you mind animal heads and are a vegetarian. Call before you go, because they close often to host private parties.

Last edited by Meyerland; 02-15-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 05:39 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
For a 6 million people city... there's not much to do in Houston

Old 02-15-2015, 07:14 PM

I don't agree there aren't many things to do here. I've lived in some amazing cities and there are just as many things to do here. It's just different.

Try the George R Ranch over spring break...

Spring Break Activities for Families - George Ranch, Fort Bend, Texas

It has cattle demonstrations, cattle drives, and even a petting zoo some days.

The theme is a farm to table celebration.

If you don't like that, How about a Rockets game or see a play? "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" is at the Hobby Center. "As You Like it" is at the Alley theater.

How about going to the House of Blues or going to a crawfish boil? Lots of boils coming up if you don't do your own.

I love a good boil. We always do one with friends at a local park. http://texascrawfishfestival.com/ This one is in Old Town Spring, Tx. in April.
http://pearlandcrawfishfestival.com/ This one is in Pearland.

Last edited by Meyerland; 02-15-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 07:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,848,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
For a 6 million people city... there's not much to do in Houston
I know. Houston is disgusting.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I know. Houston is disgusting.
I once heard the only thing to do here is drink beer and eat chicken wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston