Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,503 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our summer relocation to Houston from Europe has been confirmed and we will soon be looking to purchase a home in Houston. Exact location/neighbourhood still not confirmed as we are waiting to see what school our kids are accepted at & won't know this until mid March. I am aware that we should be looking into flood history of areas we may be interested in, is there anything else in particular that someone who is not from Houston wouldn't be aware to look for? For example, are termites a problem in certain areas, should we stay clear of lake frontage/back homes because of an influx of Mosquitos etc etc. We have not lived in TX before although we have previously lived on the East Coast.

Thanks for any information you have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 AM

98 posts, read 205,214 times
That is such a large question it would be almost impossible to quantify everything that you need to look for. It depends on the home. Before 1978, you have to check for lead paint. Built after 2002, you have to check for double pane windows. Parts of Houston have a rat problem. Termites are a factor. Soil is a factor. Chinese drywall. You have to narrow down the area at least and then an array of issues can be put in front of you. Houston is big. It extends from The Woodlands (I still call this Houston) down to Alvin or Pearland. You have to look at crime statistics (theft, violence, murder, sexual related crimes, etc...). As far as mosquitos, we have them absolutely and they are big. But my mother has a lakefront home and she doesn't have a larger problem in general with mosquitos.

Sorry I couldn't be more of exact help.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamCraigHenry View Post
That is such a large question it would be almost impossible to quantify everything that you need to look for. It depends on the home. Before 1978, you have to check for lead paint. Built after 2002, you have to check for double pane windows. Parts of Houston have a rat problem. Termites are a factor. Soil is a factor. Chinese drywall. You have to narrow down the area at least and then an array of issues can be put in front of you. Houston is big. It extends from The Woodlands (I still call this Houston) down to Alvin or Pearland. You have to look at crime statistics (theft, violence, murder, sexual related crimes, etc...). As far as mosquitos, we have them absolutely and they are big. But my mother has a lakefront home and she doesn't have a larger problem in general with mosquitos.

Sorry I couldn't be more of exact help.
Thanks, that's already a help.

We anticipate that we will be looking at either The Woodlands/ Benders Landing/ Spring areas or 77018/77041 & possibly 77396 zip codes depending on the school outcome. Kids will hopefully be at either John Cooper or Awty but my husband will be initially commuting to Baytown and eventually will work in The Woodlands. We prefer to be located within 20-30 min car ride to school & my husband will do the crazy commute to Baytown for the interim. If we end up at Awty he will eventually do a reverse commute to The Woodlands.

Can you think of anything in particular with these areas that would be of concern?

Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Why not public school in The Woodlands?

Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why not public school in The Woodlands?
Why bother if you can afford private. Most expats can.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
If you end up at Awty, his reverse commute wouldn't be all that horrendous back and forth to the Garden Oaks area from TW, if he leaves by 4pm. Living in Woodlands to Awty is definately going to be a hard drive. And for events of the middle of the day, you'll find yourself stuck away from home or driving non-stop.

If you end up at Cooper...well then that's where you'll buy, and he is going to be driving for a while..... A lot of driving. However, You could rent centrally, and reverse commute to the school, while he's on the Baytown route. buying up there when transfers up.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Get the usual inspection done then add in a termite inspection, an engineering firm to check the foundation. Ideally there should be at least 6" of foundation showing above grade. If its an older house or there are lots of trees on the lot you may also want to have the sewer drains tested for leaks.

Don't buy a house where the backyard faces west unlesss there are A LOT of shade trees or you might as well write off your backyard for six months of the year, pool or no pool.

Check what the taxes are per year, some of the newer communities are very expensive.

I'm sure there's more!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Personally, I'd wait to see what school you get into before buying. perhaps rent centrally untill that is worked out
This is good advice for a number of reasons, not just the commute or the school run.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Oh, forgot to mention the faults, don't buy on one of those!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Get the usual inspection done then add in a termite inspection, an engineering firm to check the foundation. Ideally there should be at least 6" of foundation showing above grade. If its an older house or there are lots of trees on the lot you may also want to have the sewer drains tested for leaks.

Don't buy a house where the backyard faces west unlesss there are A LOT of shade trees or you might as well write off your backyard for six months of the year, pool or no pool.

Check what the taxes are per year, some of the newer communities are very expensive.

I'm sure there's more!
Thank-you BDFP, that's exactly the type of info we are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston