Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 16,487 times

Advertisements

We are about to send our first child to kindergarten in few days. We have some major concerns and questions regarding how to deal with Katy ISD bus stops.

We live in Cinco Ranch Northwest that is designated to WoodCreek Elementary and when we put in our address at the KISD website it gives us a bus stop of "KATY FLEWELLEN RD & PRAIRIE LN" as our primary bus stop which is almost 2 miles away. This stop is at the entrance of the Avalon Spring Green community.

Basically for my kindergarten child to get to this bus stop, this cannot be an option. I should be arrested for child endangerment if I allowed my child to walk to this bus stop.

So for more experienced Katy ISD parents out there, are they any rules that regulate the location of the bus stops that Katy ISD must provide to its bus-riding students?

I did call the West Transportation office an hour ago and I got sent to the supervisors voice mail when I explained my situation.

I am wondering if anyone else had to deal with similar situation.

Thank you in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,400,482 times
Can you find out the other bus stops in the area? Does she cross a large road?

Drive it or use a map ap to see how far it is.

You will have to wait with a kindergartener anyways. I think it's not allowed for them to be by themselves there until at least grade 1.

Lots of parents in Katy drive to the bus stop, wait until the bus comes and then go to work. Many parents take turns or a small sum is exchanged for one parent to come pick up multiple kids.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM

967 posts, read 2,612,300 times
You wait at the bus stop with your little one. And be happy you have bus service many people in KISD do not!

If your neighborhood is still under construction, you will likely get a closer bus stop in the future. When my neighborhood was still being built out, the bus stop was just at the entrance... To save the bus from fighting for street space with cement trucks and the like. And yes, I walked the kids to the bus.

Later when the neighborhood was built out we got a stop much closer to the house and it has stayed the same spot for the past 4 years.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM

705 posts, read 1,261,286 times
If you're having to drive them to the bus stop, might as well drop them off at the school. Morning drop offs aren't bad and moves pretty quick. I would opt to pick them up at the bus stop in the afternoons though. People like to line up 45 mins early in the afternoons. It does move fairly quick once they let the students out.

Be forewarned...have a lot of patience during the first week of school. It will be a mess, it will take your child up to an hour to get home if they're a car rider or bus rider. Luckily mine are bikers! And like the above poster mentioned, for Kindergarten someone has to be there with them/waiting on them.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,769,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
You wait at the bus stop with your little one.
Geez I thought that was the obvious thing to do lol

Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,119 times
You pack her with camping gear and slim 3 day rations. Dont forget the bowie knife

Old 08-19-2014, 05:34 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,400,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Geez I thought that was the obvious thing to do lol
You would be surprised at how many parents wanted me to let their five year olds walk home by themselves.

In KATYISD we once had a lost kindergartener be brought into school by another parent, who found them wandering the neighborhood in the morning. the parent thought nothing of sending them to walk to school by themselves.

If a kindergartener gets off the bus in the afternoon and no one is there....they are returned to campus.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 PM

223 posts, read 262,676 times
Default Call Transportation

To the OP, you call Katy ISD transportation at 281-396-2700 and find out why the closest stop is 2 miles away.

Home

Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 PM

63 posts, read 109,086 times
How do you see the map where you find out the bus stops? I am curious as my daughter will go to school next year.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,746,144 times
I'm not a big fan of the helicoptor parenting these days but even I would agree 5 is a bit young to let kids walk by themselves. I think I started at 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston