Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 25,121 times

Advertisements

We are likely moving to Houston within the next 6-12 months. My kids go to a private, episcopal school and I would like to find one that is comparable. They will be in first grade in the Fall. My husband will work near I-45 and the Sam Houston Tollway (the energy corridor, maybe?). I am not familiar with Houston at all. The Woodlands has been recommended, but I would like to keep the kids in an episcopal school, if possible. I'm just not sure we can find an area that is close to the office plus close to a school like that for them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,832,610 times
Holy Trinity Episcopal is one possibility.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 AM

914 posts, read 1,834,788 times
Most of the private Episcopal schools are inside the loop. Holy Trinity is near Beltway 8 but much further east. There are nice communities close to the school, Fall Creek and Summerwood. Your husband would not have too bad a commute on Beltway 8. The John Cooper School is an excellent private school in The Woodlands, but it is nonsectarian. Inside the loop, the most well known Episcopal elementary/middle schools are St. Francis Episcopal Day School, St. Mark's, and St. Stephens. They are feeder schools for Episcopal High School which is also inside the loop. The public elementary schools in The Woodlands, Fall Creek and Summerwood are also highly rated.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
St. Francis is actually a few miles outside the loop. So is St. Mark's. Our families can highly recommend St. Francis. All the kids from our families have gone on to Kinkaid and Episcopal. The few that are out of High School are in Washington And Lee, Duke,UVA, and one about to start Vanderbillt.

PS: The Energy Corridor is at the Sam Houston and I-10.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Thank you all for the information. His offices are closer to 45, actually, so not exactly the energy corridor. It's tough to find the compromise between his office and the schools that are suggested. They seem far apart on the map. Are there any other faith-basedm private schools North of the Loop and a little more to the East?
Thanks again for the input. It helps!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM

Holy Trinity is the main one out there. St. Martha's is in Kingwood, but it is Catholic. Most of the religious private schools are located closer in to town than your husband's work.

Easily Amused is right about St. Francis. It has a very fine reputation. I also forgot to mention St. Thomas Episcopal that is in the Meyerland area in southwest Houston. It goes from elementary to high school. If you google Episcopal Schools Houston you will see a map of where they are all located.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Northland Christian is up that way.

The reverse commute to that area from the actual energy corridor/st. Francis area might not be that bad, but it does require a good budget.

Most people move north, far west, and SW of the city to flee to better or safer public schools and a bigger/cheaper house. More private options are available in the city due to poorer public schools, more money, and more people willing to sacrifice the new/big house for the private schools.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM

The move north and away from the city makes sense. Private school tuitions are very expensive and if there other good options, I'm all for exploring them for sure.

I just learned of our potential relocation on Saturday, so I am digging in to see what is what. My kids will be in first grade in the Fall, so they are pretty easy-going about moves, schools and new houses. It will be a big adventure for them for sure. I'm in Dallas and there are no real public school options in the area we live in. I will look at some of the other areas that are closer to his work. The Woodlands has been mentioned, as I think their schools are great, from what I have heard.
Thank you all, again, for the information. It is all so new and there is a lot to digest.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM

It might be hard to get into a private school for entry in the fall of this year as many of the ones close into town likely are already full and/or have waiting lists. St. Thomas Episcopal and Holy Trinity might be the easiest to get into at this stage if they have any openings. Many of the elementary schools in the Woodlands (Conroe ISD) are exemplary rated. The John Cooper School in the Woodlands is excellent but may already be full for this year.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,823,849 times
Too bad you weren't in the Fort Bend Area. Calvary Episcopal School in Richmond is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston