Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM

27 posts, read 74,103 times

Advertisements

Hey new to the forum, was having a discussion with my buddy if there are any new skyscraper proposed or currently in construction around the Houston downtown area? He was saying there are plenty due to Houston economy doing really well. Just curious if anyone had some information about them. Thanks for all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,748 times
There are a number of proposals out there by different developers right now. There is a forum called skyscraperpage you might check out.

Hines (609 Main), Skanska (old Houston Club building), Linbeck (intl tower), Brookfield, Shorenstein (old Exxon building rehab). These have all been reported in the media in the past year or so. Who knows which will be out of the gate first.

ETA: The above is office only. There is also the new Skyhouse apartments, Marvy Finger's latest by the ballpark, and the rehab of the Old Savoy.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,452 times
Houston Projects & Construction - SkyscraperPage Forum

As travelguy pointed out. This page is where you go to read about where buildings are going up in just about any large city.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clcrash29 View Post
Hey new to the forum, was having a discussion with my buddy if there are any new skyscraper proposed or currently in construction around the Houston downtown area? He was saying there are plenty due to Houston economy doing really well. Just curious if anyone had some information about them. Thanks for all the help
There are indeed a few proposed skyscrapers (and high rises) for downtown Houston. most are waiting to sign a major tenant before starting construction though. i realize some of these arent "skyscrapers"..

there are rumors of a new Chevron tower (40-60 stories)
Chevron Tower Rumors - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

Skanska Capital Tower (33 stories)
33-Story Capitol Tower by Skanska - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

International Tower by Streamessex (50 stories) 50-story International Tower by Stream/Essex - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

Texaco Building Redevelopment [new residential tower] (38 stories)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=205820

Marriott Marquis Hotel at Discovery Green (height unknown)
Another New GRB Convention Center Hotel + Residential + Retail - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

609 Main Hines office tower (41 stories)
Does New Hines Highrise Mean Old Texas Tower’s a Goner? » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

5 Allen Center (50 stories)
Five Allen Center in Houston | Brookfield Office Properties

though the tallest building in Houston currently under construction is near uptown. PM Realty is constructing a very cool 40 story residential tower (will be the tallest residential tower in the city).
40 story residential tower by Interfin at Weslayan and West Alabama - Page 9 - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum - Page 9

while going through HAIF this comment made me LOL -

^ This pretty well sums up the difference in the health of Houston's downtown office market vs Dallas'.

We whine about 33 story buildings being too short.

Folks in Dallas are ecstatic about a 16 story building.

Last edited by TexasTallest; 06-20-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post

while going through HAIF this comment made me LOL -

^ This pretty well sums up the difference in the health of Houston's downtown office market vs Dallas'.

We whine about 33 story buildings being too short.

Folks in Dallas are ecstatic about a 16 story building.
Too funny. I think TMC is larger than downtown Dallas.

I forgot about HAIF. I wish Houston would get a 100 story building.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM

561 posts, read 972,386 times
I wonder if there will be many new tenants in Downtown, seems like most companies are doing what Houston is known for... Spreading out.

Curious if there are truly new plans to build many new skyscrapers in Houston when land is so readily available and companies are more than willing to move to a suburb knowing Houstonians will drive and aren't big on having a central business hub.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
suburbs are working hard (and paying money out) to attract business campuses. they know what a strong city center in our current times will do to them. very smart

wont ever compare to downtown and the extensions of downtown. i see way more new buildings going up downtown and in the galleria than anything in the suburbs. i mean look at all the plans for additions in the galleria area

i hear a lot of people saying if they built more apartments/condos downtown they'd move there

Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I wonder if there will be many new tenants in Downtown, seems like most companies are doing what Houston is known for... Spreading out.

Curious if there are truly new plans to build many new skyscrapers in Houston when land is so readily available and companies are more than willing to move to a suburb knowing Houstonians will drive and aren't big on having a central business hub.
Where did you get that from?? the compaines that have moved out to the burbs are companies that require massive amount of land .. which just does not exist in CBD..

Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Where did you get that from?? the compaines that have moved out to the burbs are companies that require massive amount of land .. which just does not exist in CBD..
I don't think they really require massive amount of land. They just prefer to build out instead of up. I guess it's cheaper and quicker to build that way.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Some employers want the prestige that comes with a downtown location. Financial and law firms tend to be tied to downtown, as well as headquarters offices for some corporations. I've heard that for some larger firms that want to be in one building that has high-quality finishes, a vertical skyscraper configuration can be a better-suited building type than a low-rise building with larger floorplates - at some point it's easier to travel vertically within the space than a long walk across a campus.

Also keep in mind that downtown still has a major advantage in that it's still central to all the suburban areas, and Houston is ringed by desirable suburbs around nearly its entire perimeter (on lacking directly eastward) - this is a major difference from Dallas and Atlanta, where most of the desirable suburbs are in just one quarter of the metro area. So it gives employees a larger choice on where to live, plus the option of Park-and-Ride access. Commuting "around the ring" of Houston suburbs (like The Woodlands to Energy Corridor or Sugar Land, for example) tends to be rather miserable (long, traffic-laden, no transit option). The Grand Parkway will help a little bit, but not that much when you consider the tolls and just the sheer distance. So, Houston is lucky that downtown competes well in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston