Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 PM

48 posts, read 113,821 times

Advertisements

I have to go on a one-day business trip to Houston in a few weeks and will have like 3 to 4 hours to kill before my plane leaves. I fly into Hobby and then have to go up to a meeting off Tidwell Rd. I basically have nothing to do from about 2 pm until 6 pm. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM

507 posts, read 2,062,486 times
Me, personally, I'd hit a strip club. But that's just me.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
Me, personally, I'd hit a strip club. But that's just me.
Not a bad idea. Usually the early afternoon staff isn't top tier, but I guess it's better than sitting around doing nothing.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,411 times
Is this on a weekend or on a weekday?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Is this on a weekend or on a weekday?
Weekday

Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Tidwell is north of the 610 Loop and south of BW8, not always cutting through the best areas. I'd do your meeting, then go downtown and have lunch at Irmas, maybe take a tour of Minute maid park, then drive south on 45 back to Hobby and have drinks at the airport. Traffic in Rush hour can be very bad here.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 AM

342 posts, read 803,693 times
Galleria, that is what Dwight Howard did.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Stay put

Just stay at the airport. 4 hours is nothing, if you mean from when you land to when your flight departs. It could rain when you are out, or there could be an accident, not to mention security clearance again. Any of those two situations would wreck (pun intended) your commute plans and possibly cause you miss your flight. I'd suggest you wonder about the airport and see how ridiculously priced everything is, it should keep you busy. Welcome to Houston, of only passing through.

Update: I did not catch the Hobby part.... in that case, just take a nap, Hobby sucks as far as having anything cool to see, or do, it only offers convenience and I'd hate to think of what things are like in any of the strip clubs in the area.... at least it would probably be cheap, 'might even get away with dropping coins instead of bills.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Damn, houston kind of sounds like atlanta. How about recommendations for places to eat? Preferably southern food or BBQ.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM

785 posts, read 1,235,411 times
You don't have a lot of time, so all I can suggest are places for you to lay back and hang out.

Try Minuti Coffee over in downtown. It's a beautiful space located in the lobby of the former Rice Hotel. You might even be able to take a quick tour of the lobby and the building, which is quite pretty and has lots of interesting history.

If you don't mind the heat, you can walk two blocks over to Market Square Park. They have overhead misting fans that make the heat a little more bearable, and plenty of chairs to sit on. There's also a Niko Niko's right in the park, which has great Greek food (order a cold milkshake though, or maybe a beer).

Across the street from the park is Treebeard's which is southern/cajun food, but they're only open for lunch so get there before 3 p.m. if you want to eat. Make sure to check out the "Houston" mural on the side of Treebeard's. It's huge and you can't miss it; also a great photo op.

If you still have time, check out Warren's Inn next door, which serves a mean martini. Might be just what you need for that long flight home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston