Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times

Advertisements

You can also have sub communities within the master hoa that have their own rules. Say, only certain color/type screening on the porch so they all look alike.

You should go to a few meetings. And if you're not allowed when you say you are deciding to live there...that'll tell you something. You should read minutes from as many months back of meetings as possible. If they are not kept or are not allowed to be seen or if you find out they are edited....that'll tell you something too.

Look at the latest financial sheet. Perhaps this is attached to the meeting agenda regularly or perhaps you can get one from an owner. They should be readily available to owners at the office.

You can ask mgt about lawsuits. A bunch of them tells you something right there. A lot of unrest and unresolved issues the board may have refused to budge on.

Check out the amenities. Including the ones sort of off the beaten track. The tennis court let go in horrible repair because it is hidden from the view of the general population but the tennis players wish it were kept up indicates something is going on.

The simple pool with no shade, old style furnishings may be good for some. Others may prefer the more attractively outfitted pools nowadays. Your fee should reflect some of these things. Lower for simpler.

Has common property been sold off in the past? Are there plans for such coming up?

Dams can be an issue.

Look at the Covenants. Sometimes they are online or sometimes the area Realtor has a copy of can get one from another realtor or a resident. What are the keys and are they adhering to the covenants on these things. Nature community cutting down trees, sheering grass and killing wildlife? "Family" community with the sports center and pool falling apart and nothing done about speeders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
That sounds reasonable, the $450-700/year. I was actually interested in a few homes in Clear Lake. Might have to rethink that.
Our fees are in that range. At first I was adamantly opposed to the HOA when I saw the bylaws pdf. But our HOA is really not bad at all. Like Texas7 said, you don't have to worry about your neighbor raising pigs and chickens or leaving their tireless '79 camaro up on blocks. Our experience has been good overall with our HOA.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post

I had a bad experience with my old HOA, so I will never again live in one. But that doesn't mean I live next to a junk yard or a sewer plant.
It's only a matter of time.
We have an HOA administrator, but we (homeowners) eventually dialed back its policing.
For my next house I need a really big garage and more workspace. I think I can only get this in pricier neighborhoods (with a strict HOA). I have racecars/unfinished project cars/'work' van so this is going to be a problem :\

Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
It's only a matter of time.
We have an HOA administrator, but we (homeowners) eventually dialed back its policing.
For my next house I need a really big garage and more workspace. I think I can only get this in pricier neighborhoods (with a strict HOA). I have racecars/unfinished project cars/'work' van so this is going to be a problem :\
Not sure what area you're interested in, but Canyon Lakes West in Cypress has some homes with massive 4-car barn garages. Here's an example:

8615 Shawnee Forest Dr, Cypress, TX 77433 - HAR.com

Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Not sure what area you're interested in, but Canyon Lakes West in Cypress has some homes with massive 4-car barn garages. Here's an example:

I'd still have to park my cars in the driveway. I'm a garage hoarder.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post

Thanks! I actually like this house and if were in the W-SW side i'd be running to check it out, to see if the garage has a door to the backyard. Maybe I can get a carhauler back there. Hopefully I can find this configuration in Katy/Richmond side. Cypress does have the bigger lots and a lot more allowance for customization.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Sterling Knoll is pretty lax. So is Piper's Meadow. Camino South is looking pretty lax these days too. Heritage Park's HOA fees are $120 a year and can't be changed. Most HOA fees go to a company called Associa that enforces the deed restrictions. Associa is owned by a state legislator that sets the rules for HOAs. Welcome to Texas.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
My 500 fee goes for upkeep of the entrance, the brick wall, street lights, insurance and trash pick up. We have a CD just in case of an emergency. We can make an assessment if something awful happens but the community has to approve it.

We are small enough to be self managed so Mr. Corona gets no money from us. We can ask that owners comply with the deed restrictions but cannot fine them. Our compliance with the deed restrictions is due to our desire to live in a community with people who care about their neighbors and their neighborhood.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Our fees are in that range. At first I was adamantly opposed to the HOA when I saw the bylaws pdf. But our HOA is really not bad at all. Like Texas7 said, you don't have to worry about your neighbor raising pigs and chickens or leaving their tireless '79 camaro up on blocks. Our experience has been good overall with our HOA.
Actually, it's just a false sense of security. The HOA can't prevent ANYTHING. But they can send a letter about it after the fact, once someone reports it to the HOA and they get around to doing anything about it.

While my old house was on the market, a neighbor a few doors down got in a wreck, and had his beat up wrecked POS towed to his driveway. It sat there for 3 months-while we were trying to find a buyer for my home, my investment.

Long story short, letters were sent and ignored. Finally when they threatened legal action, he pushed the car from the driveway to the street at the curb. The HOA had no juristiction over the roads (they are county owned/maintained) and since the car was registered/inspected, the county could do nothing.

HOA's can prevent nothing, they can only sorta kinda enforce and threaten some things. Turns out I paid my dues yearly on time only to be screwed when I was trying to sell. My HOA experience has NOT been good.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM

56 posts, read 71,669 times
Thanks for the help everyone. Because of a different job offer, Houston is no longer in my plans.

Again, thanks for all the help and answers to the questions I have asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston