Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,279 times

Advertisements

I grew up in CA and always thought CA had the worst drivers in the country, but having spent significant time in Houston, I now recant my beliefs. You guys take the cake.

I've never seen so many clueless fools blocking the passing lane, including semis. I've never been cut off so many times, or nearly run off the road. I've never seen so many drivers try to cut in front of a line of waiting cars and subsequently block all the other lanes (one of many examples: 610 @ 59 junction). I've never seen so many accidents -- sometimes there'd be 2 accidents within 1 mile.

I generally only honk my horn when confronted with the most egregious infractions. I'm a very calm driver. In a typical year of driving in CA, I may do it 3 times. In 10 days of Houston driving, I did it 4 times.

Houston drivers are just atrociously bad and rude... and coming from a CA driver that's saying A LOT.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Yep. I've never seen some of the things happen on the road until I moved here.

People driving long distances in the center turn lanes, then passing in the oncoming traffic side because cars are stopped in the center turn lane trying to turn.

Stopping and BACKING UP on a 6 lane road because they missed their turn.

Making U-turns pretty much anywhere it pleases them.

Making a right turn at a stop light from the left turn lane.

I honestly do not know how some people here got their driver licenses. Or if they even have one at all.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 AM

97 posts, read 145,723 times
My husband and I are moving in Jan. We visited earlier this month. I can't say that we'd call them 'bad' drivers, just aggressive. We learned that when we need to get into a spot, just "Texas" our way over. No one is going to make room for us. I actually think it's going to make me a better driver, just by having to be so much more defensive than I am now.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 43,522 times
Take your ass back then..

yeah there are a lot of inconsiderate and or ignorant drivers everywhere but it is amplified in a giant city.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Texas drivers wouldn't be in such a rush if TLC moved the start time to Honey Boo Boo.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I grew up in CA and always thought CA had the worst drivers in the country, but having spent significant time in Houston, I now recant my beliefs. You guys take the cake.

I've never seen so many clueless fools blocking the passing lane, including semis. I've never been cut off so many times, or nearly run off the road. I've never seen so many drivers try to cut in front of a line of waiting cars and subsequently block all the other lanes (one of many examples: 610 @ 59 junction). I've never seen so many accidents -- sometimes there'd be 2 accidents within 1 mile.

I generally only honk my horn when confronted with the most egregious infractions. I'm a very calm driver. In a typical year of driving in CA, I may do it 3 times. In 10 days of Houston driving, I did it 4 times.

Houston drivers are just atrociously bad and rude... and coming from a CA driver that's saying A LOT.
Preaching to the choir.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM

122 posts, read 222,904 times
I lived in South Florida and Houston's drivers are great in comparison. I-95 between Miami and West Palm Beach is just dangerous. But I agree, driving has become really dangerous in Houston in the past couple of years...I don't know why.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM

847 posts, read 1,751,193 times
maybe you're just encountering all the transients from California......

Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Let's get something straight.... people do crazy things because they can get away with doing it.

I lived in Missouri and you will get a ticket for cruising on the left lane of the highway, changing lanes without using your blinkers, driving with your lights off when it's gotten dark (even if it's just because it rained).
I was told that you can even get a ticket for driving with your lights on inside your car.

Here is just like in Venezuela (where I grew up) anybody does whatever the h... they want.
Today I was driving to work and I noticed a sob in a contractor van driving about 45mph on the left lane of highway 45.
First chance I had, I cut in front of him so close that I bet he c..... his pants.
Yes it's rude, but is even more rude to be the person that creates a traffic jam on the highway and make a bunch of people be late for work because you like driving slow on the left lane.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
I have gotten tickets in Missouri also for such infractions. I even got clocked speeding by an airplane one time. Serious.
Ironic to see the original post today because I actually had one of the worst days driving to work today. People continually cutting me off, slow drivers blocking lanes and broken down cars. It was like the twilight zone because usually my commute is a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Let's get something straight.... people do crazy things because they can get away with doing it.

I lived in Missouri and you will get a ticket for cruising on the left lane of the highway, changing lanes without using your blinkers, driving with your lights off when it's gotten dark (even if it's just because it rained).
I was told that you can even get a ticket for driving with your lights on inside your car.

Here is just like in Venezuela (where I grew up) anybody does whatever the h... they want.
Today I was driving to work and I noticed a sob in a contractor van driving about 45mph on the left lane of highway 45.
First chance I had, I cut in front of him so close that I bet he c..... his pants.
Yes it's rude, but is even more rude to be the person that creates a traffic jam on the highway and make a bunch of people be late for work because you like driving slow on the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston