Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,559 times

Advertisements

I wrote back in January about my pending move to Houston. I want to thank everyone that wrote and gave me some good advice. I am about to be 2 months in Houston and I feel right at home. The culture shock, the intense sun and constant driving took some time but I think I acculturated well thus far. I am still exploring the city. I did get a job offer about a month into my search which wasn't ideal but for cash flow reason I took it, and received another job offer a week later for my ideal salary. I have 9 year experience as a administrative assistant, office manager, executive assistant etc. Now on to the apartment search and I am looking forward to it. I currently live in Katy and want to move close to the job (Hillcroft and Gulfton). I would love your input on areas, complexes etc that are reasonable price for a 2 bedroom (max budget 700.00-800.00), safe/decent neighborhood, gated access, close to shopping areas, and good of a single women.

For all the newcomer (I know I am new myself lol), here are a few things I learned:
1. Being a native New Yorker and not driving much, get use to driving everywhere. Houston is a wide spread so it gonna feel far as hell lol at first but you get use to is
2. The Texas BBQ is so much better than NY (only comparison I have thus far)
3. Most people are very helpful
4. The driver license office is always packs so get there early like 5am (and no I am not kidding).
5. Like I mention coming from New York, I am use to fast service and here things move much slower but much better customer service.
6. As for the job hunt, online applicant are actually looked at here. In New York, most companies hardly look at online applications. All my interviews and both job offers I had have been from online applications.
7. I hardly went through more than two interviews for a position back home, but here they do multiple (phone, 1st and sometimes 2nd) interviews
8. I am use to wearing suit to interviews but Houston laid back attitude you could get away with less formal interview wear. I would usually wear a pair of slack, white button up shirt, and yellow cardigan. I hate wearing suits so this was one thing I got accustom to very quickly lol.
9. Lastly, the religion conversation will come up alot. Alot of people to my understanding are Christian or Christian-Based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,697 times
Welcome to Houston. Hope your opinion of our city only gets better as time passes.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
With an attitude like that I think you will only grow to live the city mire as it definitely grows in you.

Welcome to Houston. Good luck

Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM

978 posts, read 1,059,169 times
If you are living in Katy, I wouldn't really say that you are living "IN" Houston. Living inside the loop is a very different experience than living in an exurb like Katy.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,269 times
I agree. Living in the suburbs and live in the loop is completely different. It is like comparing New Jersey to Manhattan.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,269 times
BTW, I don't think you can find a two bedroom that is safe for 700-800. It would be closer to 1500.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I agree. Living in the suburbs and live in the loop is completely different. It is like comparing New Jersey to Manhattan.

Hardly a similar comparison.

I am glad you enjoy it here! I agree about the slower pace, but I have come to enjoy it.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,242,285 times
Quote:
BTW, I don't think you can find a two bedroom that is safe for 700-800. It would be closer to 1500.
Heck, it's hard to find a one bedroom that is safe in the city for $700-800. As a single woman, I would NOT recommend living near the location you said you work.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
It's like comparing being at the regular tables instead of the cool kids table in the high school lunch room.

It's like comparing being at the bar and not the VIP lounge.

It's like comparing driving a Honda as opposed to a Bentley.

It's like comparing sitting in the nose bleeds to behind the bench.

It's like comparing dating the girl next door to the hot fashion model.

You just wouldn't understand how much better the inner loop is unless you're there.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
If you are living in Katy, I wouldn't really say that you are living "IN" Houston. Living inside the loop is a very different experience than living in an exurb like Katy.
But that's exactly how most people live. You can't exclude the suburbs just because they're not in the Houston city limits. The population of Houston is 2 million, and the population in the metro area outside the city is 4 million. The city limit boundary is an arbitrary line that has nothing to do with the actual qualities of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: