Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM

235 posts, read 360,401 times

Advertisements

You also might be able to find an efficiency for cheaper at Post Midtown Square or 2222 Smith (I think they have efficiency's).

Note that rents have increased a lot in Houston recently, especially in Midtown because it is one of the few places in Houston where you can actually walk to places.

You might want to look at The Core on Washington Ave. as well and check their prices and availability. Washington Ave. is the other young professional/nightlife area although it has a much different vibe (more clubby). I don't like it myself and it is less conducive to walking but it's another option. For example, I don't believe there is a grocer within walking distance which is an issue.

Other than that there are cheaper and older apartments and townhomes in Montrose of varying quality. That's more hit-or-miss and (at least to me), less walkable. I also didn't find it as safe as Midtown (we had stuff stolen from our townhome). Midtown just had more people walking around at all hours. I walked in Montrose and often felt I was the only person doing so.

If you are really adventurous, you can look east of downtown at the Lofts at the Ballpark. It is right next door to the new stadium for the Dynamo and they have started to build some more stuff in that area. If you are into soccer/football that might be fun but you are more isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 15,637 times
Thanks for the response. I definitely don't want a long commute so I will increase the budget to stay within 30 mins commute. I have got a few apts on my list in Midtown, Upper Kirby and River Oaks.... I will come down in a couple of weeks to check things out....but your responses have helped me narrow my search.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Where do you live in DC on that budget? I'm just curious because so many seem to be moving from high COL places then move to Houston attempting to have a housing budget on peanuts and want everything. Downtown, parks, short commute, nightlife, young professionals.

Maybe it's just me but when I think of young professionals I don't think of 20 somethings living with rent under $900.

@DejaBlue. I never said I lived on that budget in DC, I am taking a job more aligned to my career goals/interest therefore taking a paycut.....as result I can't pay the $1700 I pay in DC. All the other responders felt the budget was low, made it clear and proceeded to provide options you on the other hand chose to rant and not really add any value to this convo.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM

19 posts, read 34,523 times
My friend was just looking at some apartments around the same price range and locations as you (not midtown though). You can try these:

Up: Bayou Park: 4400 Memorial Drive, Houston TX 77007

Greenway/Upper Kirby:
Greenway gardens: 3131 Timmons, Houston, TX 77027 Alabama/Timmons
Sendera At Greenway: 3400 Edloe, Houston, TX 77027 Edloe/Richmond
The Place At Greenway: 3333 Cummins Street, Houston, TX 77027 Alabama/Cummins

Medical center:
7100 Almeda at the Medical Center: 7100 Almeda Rd., Houston, TX 77054

The above should all be under $1000.

If you can bump up to $1220-1225, definitely check out the Belmont Apartments on Bissonnet.

For budgeting purposes, in Texas apartments you have pay trash ($25ish) and water ($25-$35), which I never had to pay for in DC when I lived there, but your electric bill should be cheaper.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
My friend was just looking at some apartments around the same price range and locations as you (not midtown though). You can try these:

Up: Bayou Park: 4400 Memorial Drive, Houston TX 77007

Greenway/Upper Kirby:
Greenway gardens: 3131 Timmons, Houston, TX 77027 Alabama/Timmons
Sendera At Greenway: 3400 Edloe, Houston, TX 77027 Edloe/Richmond
The Place At Greenway: 3333 Cummins Street, Houston, TX 77027 Alabama/Cummins

Medical center:
7100 Almeda at the Medical Center: 7100 Almeda Rd., Houston, TX 77054

The above should all be under $1000.

If you can bump up to $1220-1225, definitely check out the Belmont Apartments on Bissonnet.

For budgeting purposes, in Texas apartments you have pay trash ($25ish) and water ($25-$35), which I never had to pay for in DC when I lived there, but your electric bill should be cheaper.

Thank you Sparks. I will check them out and compare to what the other folks recommended in midtown.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
You also might be able to find an efficiency for cheaper at Post Midtown Square or 2222 Smith (I think they have efficiency's).

Note that rents have increased a lot in Houston recently, especially in Midtown because it is one of the few places in Houston where you can actually walk to places.

You might want to look at The Core on Washington Ave. as well and check their prices and availability. Washington Ave. is the other young professional/nightlife area although it has a much different vibe (more clubby). I don't like it myself and it is less conducive to walking but it's another option. For example, I don't believe there is a grocer within walking distance which is an issue.

Other than that there are cheaper and older apartments and townhomes in Montrose of varying quality. That's more hit-or-miss and (at least to me), less walkable. I also didn't find it as safe as Midtown (we had stuff stolen from our townhome). Midtown just had more people walking around at all hours. I walked in Montrose and often felt I was the only person doing so.

If you are really adventurous, you can look east of downtown at the Lofts at the Ballpark. It is right next door to the new stadium for the Dynamo and they have started to build some more stuff in that area. If you are into soccer/football that might be fun but you are more isolated.

I appreciate your help. I don't have a lot of "must haves" besides (safety, proximity to work location -30mins or less) so I think once I get there... I will have some good options to pick from based on the recommendations here.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 11,334 times
Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone have experience living in the Gables Citywalk property? Ratings sites seem to be very up and down about this property. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 PM

Update -
Ended up staying at furnished place for a month while looking for a place. Got a place 2BR (840sqft) off Washington Ave. for $1200. Moving in first week of January. Thank you all for your help.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Thanks for the update! I am happy that you upped your budget and found a nice and safe place.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 PM

23 posts, read 47,986 times
Midtown no question about it but you will need a roomate for the nicer lofts or apts.. where I work in San Jacinto I see some run down apartments I'm sure they are below $900(they do look bad!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston