Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,259 times

Advertisements

What is the law in Texas. My son is in kinder in katy ISD and has told me many times he doesn't like going to school and he hates his teacher. He said his teacher is not nice.

What is the right of the parents regarding this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
It depends on the principal, and they hate to move students. I may know his teacher/principal and can give you more advice if you message me.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
You want to move you kid to another school, because he does not like his teacher??
What will you do, if he doesn't like a teacher in a new school - move to another school? Then another city??
Try to find out what is the problem first. Talk to the principal. Talk to other parents.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,551 times
You need to talk to the school. There could be any reason for this, that isn't related to the teacher being mean.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,208 times
my son is 17 and ive been in Magnolia ISD, Cyprss Fairbanks ISD, humble ISD, PVT northeast christian and Conroe ISD and in my experience with my brothers and sisters and my son all I have raised myself a school can do what it wants and is kinda a city of its own if you will with the principal being the sheriff. There are few laws that we can use to influence a ISD that they have to do what we want!!

With that said I will tell you kindness is what you show and go through the proper channels.
1. have you met with the teacher?
2. The counselor is next to inform her that this is an issue and getting this person to see your point can make or break the request
3i is the principal or AP assistant that is.

When you go to talk to them you want to not be harsh about the teacher as if its all there fault instead that you feel its best for your child and give the reasons why. I have found if a child is or has gone through moving or separation from parents or relationships etc that explaining to the school reasons for a child to have issues is helpful once you reach the counselor.

keep a daily log from now on and if the above dont work then you can be the persistent parent and remember this is not always good if not for the cause worth fighting for! ISD all seem to get nervous if you are documenting and or recording meetings with them and just may give you what you want to make that stop because they dont want bad publicity like a parents who may know people with the news or judges etc. over time they will fix the problem or give you a new class.

I would make sure I visit with the teacher and see what she/he says as it may be the thing we all dont want to face and that would be our child played us and made us look bad. I have seen it done and had it done to me and I am sure i must have done it to my dad because he was always at the school barking at the staff for one reason or another lol!

Good Luck
AMK

Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You want to move you kid to another school, because he does not like his teacher??
What will you do, if he doesn't like a teacher in a new school - move to another school? Then another city??
Try to find out what is the problem first. Talk to the principal. Talk to other parents.

The OP wants to change the student to another class...not another school.

I think the parent should meet with the teacher and figure out what's going on.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
A child can be moved to another class, but it's up to the school's discretion. You should try talking with the teacher first before doing something drastic. I had an issue with a teacher my 4th grade year and my parents set up a conference with the teacher and principal. This is normally what happens first and after that either the teacher is disciplined or the student is moved to another class.

I actually got my summer school teacher fired because she was abusive to the students. It actually become a big thing in Waco.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:50 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,176 times
Please keep in mind that you've heard only one side of the story and that's from your son. As a former public school teacher, I'm asking if you have spoken with the kindergarten teacher about your son's feelings? Parents are often unaware that a child's behavior in the classroom is the complete opposite of what it is at home and are astonished when they hear about it! Don't worry about insulting the teacher -- she's heard it all before! Also, have you asked your son just WHY he thinks his teacher is mean?

The school year has just started and for primary students especially, there's a period of adjustment to a new classroom environment that can be a bit rocky. Expectations are much higher than in the previous grade and the jump from Pre-K to Kindergarten can seem huge to little ones. Also, at this age, boys can have more difficulty adapting to a more structured educational setting than girls.

Before you ask about transferring your son to another kindergarten class, try talking reasonably and unemotionally with your child, the teacher, and also with other kindergarten parents. Keep all lines of communication open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston