Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM

174 posts, read 407,283 times

Advertisements

I would like suggestion for townhouse or condo in Galleria Area. My budget is 300-350K. My main commute is to downtown area. I prefer to be in safe good neighborhood. Any suggestion ? Is there any new development fit my criteria? I really appreciate any helpful suggestion. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 06:54 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,269 times
I have lived in a townhouse and a highrise in the Galleria. If you work downtown why would you want to live in the Galleria? Do you enjoy the worst traffic in Houston? It is a nice area, but there are certainly other areas that are plenty safe and are much closer. I grew up in the Galleria area. I lived there for two years after college and I have not looked back since. I hate going over there to visit my parents. The traffic is just absurd there. If you go the condo route just remember there is a very steep monthly fee. Usually 1200+ a month.

As for new developments. That is out of your price range. You are looking at older places. Not sure how old you are, but I would consider other areas of town in your search. I know many people that move to the Galleria when they first move to Houston and then end up moving after their lease is up. I guess it depends on your age and if you are single.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 AM

157 posts, read 325,861 times
Condos are for renting unless your long term goal is to ultimately become a landlord.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
[mod edit - no link to individual properties]
Meyerland, that location is a major pain in the rear if you need to get to I-10. Its extremely hard to get out and go left on Voss. Also, if you are a runner/biker/walker you are gridlocked in.

The drive to downtown is relatively easy from Bering/Augusta/nantucket/Potomac, north of San Felipe. New will be impossible to find in your range though.I would count on 25 minutes down Woodway and through the park. The worst traffic is going to be right at 610. Its a 10 minute crawl from Sage to 610.., which is less than 1/2 mile.After that, its an easy in. And compared to most routes, its relatively stress free.

Another nice area would be around the Second Baptist Church. Kerry Glen. Currently the ones listed are well under your budget
[mod edit - no link to individual properties]

. Easy walk to grocery and restaurants. Super easy run or walk into Tanglewood. Drawbacks are its a bit of a gridlock to get to 10 or east on Woodway in the morning.

My parents still live in the Galleria as well, and I've spent the majority of my life in that area. Personally I 'll take northern Uptown traffic over ITL traffic anyday of the week. Traffic jams at every light, and jamming potholes 24/7.

Other option is a Hudson townhouse in Memorial, basically at Bunker Hill. Very safe, not hard to get to 10,25 minutes in from there as well. And if kids are in your future, you are locked into the best schools in the Metro.

You could afford things in Rice Military, close to downtown,but as a female I don't view the area as having that "safe" feel.

Last edited by Oildog; 10-03-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
The best thing about those townhouses on Brownway is you can walk to Trulucks.

Sorry, that's my happy place.

Fyi: we always called anything east of Voss, "the Galleria area." Anything west of Voss was "Out There." I mean that's even in a whole different Dance Club.Now the whole creation of Uptown had many of us locals stumped for years, but definitely east of Chimney Rock, maybe even east of Sage.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The best thing about those townhouses on Brownway is you can walk to Trulucks.

Sorry, that's my happy place.

Fyi: we always called anything east of Voss, "the Galleria area." Anything west of Voss was "Out There." I mean that's even in a whole different Dance Club.Now the whole creation of Uptown had many of us locals stumped for years, but definitely east of Chimney Rock, maybe even east of Sage.
I think boundaries for the Galleria area(I never use the term uptown) is Woodway to the North, 59 to the south, 610 to the east and Chimney Rock to the West.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

I would also look along Bering Dr, (also technically not the Galleria area but close enough) between San Felipe and Woodway. There are a lot of nice TH in that area.

I agree, Berring has some really nice and safe complexes in this area and there's a wide range in prices. It is preferable, imo, to stay north of San Felipe although btw Westheimer and SF it's not bad either. There aren't much choices on the market right now, but keep watching and things will come up. When looking at townhomes/condos, check the monthly dues too, bc it could easily be several hundreds extra. I would rather use that money in the mortgage to buy a more expensive place or buy a place with same pricetag but I can save that large monthly due. There is a place on DoliverxBering that is super nice, and relatively new, but it's probably about $400k. I mention it b/c your monthly dues are less than some other places so it might work out. [mod edit - no link to individual properties]

Last edited by Oildog; 10-03-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,439 times
Id go with a townhouse if I were you. I recently bought a condo for way less but If I had your budget I would go with a towne home north of San Felipe. If you live south of it, traffic will be tougher on you IMO.

Anything north of westheimer is more eye pleasing too. Not crazy about the concrete bare look westheimer has.

In regards to commute to downtown, I always take woodway through the park which turns into texas and then takes you to downtown. It's much quicker than getting on the loop.

Initially I wanted something near the med center bc I didn't like the galleria 610 traffic but if you get creative with your routes, you shouldn't have to experience the traffic jams.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I have lived in a townhouse and a highrise in the Galleria. If you work downtown why would you want to live in the Galleria? Do you enjoy the worst traffic in Houston? It is a nice area, but there are certainly other areas that are plenty safe and are much closer. I grew up in the Galleria area. I lived there for two years after college and I have not looked back since. I hate going over there to visit my parents. The traffic is just absurd there. If you go the condo route just remember there is a very steep monthly fee. Usually 1200+ a month.

As for new developments. That is out of your price range. You are looking at older places. Not sure how old you are, but I would consider other areas of town in your search. I know many people that move to the Galleria when they first move to Houston and then end up moving after their lease is up. I guess it depends on your age and if you are single.
Reminds me of how the Galleria area was when I was a kid in the 60s. Mostly fields and small businesses, and a 2-lane Post Oak that was full of the worst potholes on this planet. KPRC TV was there in an old building that looked like a quonset hut. We used to go to the Captain Bob show for kids.

Sorry about getting off track. But Uptown is a totally different place now.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Reminds me of how the Galleria area was when I was a kid in the 60s. Mostly fields and small businesses, and a 2-lane Post Oak that was full of the worst potholes on this planet. KPRC TV was there in an old building that looked like a quonset hut. We used to go to the Captain Bob show for kids.

Sorry about getting off track. But Uptown is a totally different place now.
When I grew up there were huge empty lots on Bering Dr. I used to go play in them. Though that was in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston