Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM

148 posts, read 234,830 times

Advertisements

Much like the similarly-titled New York Times pieces, I'm going to be spending roughly 48 hours in Houston later this month. I would like to fit in as much as possible during this timeframe and need suggestions on what to do.

There's a catch, however.

The person I'm going with is from the area and would like me to try to plan a trip of things that they have not done before because they are considering moving back to the area to be closer to family (but currently their opinion is not favorable of the city). They feel like they've done everything there is to do.

Therefore, I need suggestions on places to go, but NOT the "typical" tourist places that anyone from the area is already familiar with.

I'm particularly looking for:

Good vegetarian food (or menus with vegetarian options, at least).
Dive bars -- not the chic-dive where you spend $4 on a PBR, but the more authentically dingy places with dirt-cheap alcohol and maybe live music or a decent jukebox.
Book/thrift/record stores
Art
Anything weird or "out there" that's not on the regular beaten path.

Is there anywhere to see real country music? Not modern pop-country, but in the style of Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc. etc? I've heard about Blanco's but apparently it's closing in the very near future.

...and I think you probably get the idea.

Last edited by DownSouth88; 10-09-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,811 times
Where exactly did your friend used to live, and where have they gone? Would be helpful to have a frame of reference so we know what not to suggest that they've already experienced. Also, what days will you be here and where are you staying?

Here's a good article to start with that might give you a few ideas: Take Monday Off: Houston - WSJ.com

Here's a few divey bars that I recommend, in three different parts of town --
Downtown: Warren's Inn, La Carafe, and Bad News Bar (all close together so I suggest to try them all)
The Heights: Alice's Tall Texan
Montrose: Catbird's

For thrift/record stores, try the 19th Street shopping district in the Heights, centered on 19th and Rutland St (west of Yale St).

For art - try going to the Orange Show, or if it's too far, then the Art Car Museum. There's also the big Funnel Tunnel that's currently installed in the median on Montrose St, near Inversion Coffee House.

For things off the beaten path:
-take a bike tour of downtown and the surrounding areas using the bike share stations: Houston Bikes | Houston Bike Sharing Program | B-Cycle | bcycle.com
$5 all day, my suggested route is to start at the bike station at Market Square Park, then head over to the Theater District, Sesquicentennial Park, then follow the bayou all the way to the bridge at the Sabine-to-Bagby Promenade. You can even get to Buffalo Bayou Park (where there's another bike station on the Sabine Bridge) if you're feeling really adventurous.
-take a tour of Glenwood Cemetery. You can do this in your car or on foot, whichever you prefer. It's quite a sight, plus you'll get to experience actual hills (due to being built on the banks of the bayou) which is pretty unheard of in Houston.
-visit the Adickes SculpturWorx Studio and take a few pics of the unfinished statues that they're working on: Adickes SculpturWorx Studio - The Heights - Houston, TX
This is where they built the "We <3 Houston" sign which now sits on display along I-10.
-if you can fit it in, doing the brewery tour at Saint Arnold is quite the experience. Not sure if you have time for it, but check it out here: Saint Arnold Brewing Company - Northside Village - Houston, TX

As for country music -- sorry, dunno what that is. Hopefully someone else can help.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:28 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,813,479 times
Lola's in Montrose for the definitive dive bar.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,699,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I have no idea where Vegan food is served.

It does not get more of a dive bar in Houston. I would also check the Last Concert Cafe. Catbirds and Alice's Tall Texan are good suggestions.

Thrift and record stores are not my thing. I am sure there are lots around Montrose and the Heights.

There are no bars in Houston that are real country bars. Blano's was the last of them.

Houston is not a tourist city. Houston is a city you live in. I would say just have fun. Hit the bars and eat great food. Some people love it and others hate it.

Here is a list of the best places in Houston to eat at. Not all are expensive fancy places. The list covers just the best places to eat regardless of price.

The List: Alison Cook's Top 100 Restaurants - Houston Chronicle

Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,285,078 times
Default Ha... I thought it was a show...

I was thinking this thread was about the production crew of '48 Hours' filming a show of some scandalous crime in Houston.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
Dive Bar: Poison Girl

Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,947 times
Good vegetarian food (or menus with vegetarian options, at least). Radical Eats

Dive bars -- not the chic-dive where you spend $4 on a PBR, but the more authentically dingy places with dirt-cheap alcohol and maybe live music or a decent jukebox: Warren's Inn, Lola's, Alice's Tall Texan

Book/thrift/record stores: Check out the Montrose area and Heights

Art: The Menil Collection

Is there anywhere to see real country music: Blancos, Armadillo Palace, Firehouse Saloon has live bands but you have to pay

Off the beaten path: See the bats on Waugh St. bridge

Last edited by Mr. Krinkle; 10-10-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM

693 posts, read 1,109,245 times
Some TRUE dive bars off Wakefield between Alba and Shepherd in the Garden Oaks area! Check out Catty Corner, Red's Country Place and The Dutchman. If you're not familiar with area, these are just north of the 610 loop. All on Google.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM

568 posts, read 902,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
This

I was just there last night and then Boondocks which is cool when they have live music. The 16oz PBR is usually 2 dollars at Lola's but last night I was charged $1.75 if I remember correctly. It's a 10 minimum for credit cards.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,947 times
The last time I was at Lola's was a Friday night. I ordered 3 drinks and a beer, the total was $9.50. I had a puzzled look on my face and the bartender said it was happy hour until 11pm.

Wakefield does indeed have some excellent dive bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: