Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

We are a family moving from a rural community in Louisiana to southwest Houston.
Though I have lived in kingwood and my wife and I both lived in Lafayette , our 3 children have always attend a small 2A sized school districts.
We'd like a community feel, good schools and green spaces with mature trees. Amenities would be nice but aren't as important as getting as close as possible a small town environment. We'd like a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath but it being new and massive is not a priority.
I'd prefer to keep the commute to 59.
All thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM

344 posts, read 1,250,984 times
Needville comes to mind. No small town environment in Sugar land these days.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Have you visited these communities? They are all nice but the middle schools and high schools are all large. They do have a close knit community but I wouldn't consider them small town. If you don't mind going further out to Rosenberg and places like Needville, those are what I consider smalltown.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1 View Post
Needville comes to mind. No small town environment in Sugar land these days.
The wife would like to be that far out, but I wouldn't. I'm in FC area now and wouldn't mind adding a 10 or so minutes to the commute but not much more.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM

I agree. The schools are going to be a shock no matter which we choose, concerning their size.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Unfortunately if you want small town / community you are going to have to compromise on proximity to Houston, especially if you're only looking at one spoke of the Houston wheel. Plans are to expand 59 south of Greatwood out past Rosenberg over the next couple of years to ease current congestion at the bottleneck at Grand Parkway, where it narrows down from 4 main lanes to two.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Then that small town feel will unfortunately go out the window. I'd rather have more time with the kiddos than time spent on the road.
Any thoughts on Greatwood schools, community and amenities compared to those of NT and FC?
Does it have a more noticeable sense of community compared to the other two, being it seems to be a smaller size?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointeauxloup View Post
Then that small town feel will unfortunately go out the window. I'd rather have more time with the kiddos than time spent on the road.
Any thoughts on Greatwood schools, community and amenities compared to those of NT and FC?
Does it have a more noticeable sense of community compared to the other two, being it seems to be a smaller size?
I posted on this topic a few months ago:

Schools: Schools in Greatwood

I'll have to find my post on the "Community" of Greatwood.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:14 PM

183 posts, read 380,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointeauxloup View Post
Greatwood is a nice community. I lived there for a few years and my parents still do now. A quick look at har.com will show quite a few homes for sale in varying price range. Not sure of your children's age, but they have 2 of the best elemenrtary schools in LCISD. Middle and high schools are also rated high I believe. The majority of high schools around here are going to be in the 2K student range which will put them in the 4A-5a size.

Amenities are close by for food, shopping, and entertainment. Sugar Land is only about a 5 minute drive up 59. New homes are available a short drive up Grand Parkway in Richmond

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM

For what it's worth LCISD keeps its high schools 4A (2000 and less), while Fort Bend ISD is a 5A high school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston