Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM

339 posts, read 764,719 times

Advertisements

For the summer, i was running our sprinklers twice a week for 20-25 mins per zone. Basically, ensured that our yard was getting between 1 - 1.5 inches of water.

Since the weather has cooled down and will continue to do so, how is everyone adjusting their watering cycles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
For the summer, i was running our sprinklers twice a week for 20-25 mins per zone. Basically, ensured that our yard was getting between 1 - 1.5 inches of water.

Since the weather has cooled down and will continue to do so, how is everyone adjusting their watering cycles?
In summer, I water every day but only for 5-8 mins/zone. Right now I'm on 3 times a week at same run time as I have fairly new sod still (it was replaced about a month ago after it got destroyed putting a pool in). I'll drop it down to twice a week.

I like to keep the frequency fairly high and the time low to keep the moisture in the ground fairly consistent.
If we have a lot of rain I'll just switch it off.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
In summer, I water every day but only for 5-8 mins/zone. Right now I'm on 3 times a week at same run time as I have fairly new sod still (it was replaced about a month ago after it got destroyed putting a pool in). I'll drop it down to twice a week.

I like to keep the frequency fairly high and the time low to keep the moisture in the ground fairly consistent.
If we have a lot of rain I'll just switch it off.
That's actually the worst thing you can do for a lawn. The roots don't grow very deep with frequent watering and your lawn will require more water to stay green. You want to water about an inch at a time and then don't water again until most of the lawn starts to wilt and turn a bluish/green color. This allows the roots to grow deeper to get water. Which means after a while you can go longer between watering. My neighbor waters nearly every day during the peak of the summer but for only a few minutes at a time while I do what I mentioned. After a decent rain (1" or more) my lawn can go a couple weeks before I have to water it again...while he is out there 2 days later because his is turning brown.

To answer the original question...as long as we get some rain every 2-3 weeks during the cooler weather, I don't usually water my lawn...but my summer watering method helps to allow me to do that too.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
I turn the system off at the end of October and will turn it back on in April. If we go for a dry spell, i'll just manually hit the button for a one time water.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM

ok. well..don't we need to water just for the foundation as well? or like EasilyAmused mentioned- if we go without watering till april next year, it won't affect the foundation either.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,901 times
As long as we get rain now and then, the ground retains moisture a lot longer than it does in the summer, so no, there shouldn't be any foundation issues.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
I've heard that in the Houston area we should only need to water in June, July, August, and maybe part of September. I continued watering into October and now my lawn has a fungus.

My foundation company told me that foundation watering should only need to be done from tax day through Halloween (April 15 - Oct 31), and the watering should be tapering off as the weather cools. If you are only wanting to water your foundation, soaker hoses at the roof line are all you need.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 PM

thanks all for the responses

Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM

670 posts, read 1,441,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
That's actually the worst thing you can do for a lawn. The roots don't grow very deep with frequent watering and your lawn will require more water to stay green. You want to water about an inch at a time and then don't water again until most of the lawn starts to wilt and turn a bluish/green color. This allows the roots to grow deeper to get water. Which means after a while you can go longer between watering. My neighbor waters nearly every day during the peak of the summer but for only a few minutes at a time while I do what I mentioned. After a decent rain (1" or more) my lawn can go a couple weeks before I have to water it again...while he is out there 2 days later because his is turning brown.
Quoted for truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: