Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 988 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My partner and I are seriously considering moving to Houston for a job at TCH (Texas med center) and would be arriving with two kids in tow (kindergartener and preschooler). We're hoping to buy in the West/SW areas of the city with a budget of 300K-450K. Any recommendations for areas with shorter commutes (<30 min ideal) but still decent size lots (would love a real backyard...especially coming from NE)?? More importantly, we're really curious to learn about the top school choices (public AND private/catholic) for our kindergartener? Are there pre-school/Montessori options nearby as well? Is Sugarland as nice as everyone says it is? Is Bellaire out of our price range? Anyone heard of Sienna Plantation?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
You will be able to have most things on your list, but not all together.

You will not get a "decent" or large lot in your budget unless you live far out if you want it to be larger than 15,000. You could find a lot size between 8,000-15,000 probably. (Most lots are much smaller than this in the Houston area.)
Pearland, Sugarland, Meyerland Area are pretty much your only options for a reasonable commute. Maybe Kingwood.

Great private schools all over Houston and the burbs. The trick is getting in. HISD has magnet and vanguard options that are fantastic. The burbs have great schools and mediocre schools too. No public school district is 100% great.

Are there pre-school/Montessori options nearby as well? Yes

Is Sugarland as nice as everyone says it is? Yes, but it is probably out of your price range with your conditions on commute. Lengthen your commute time and it is doable. You might luck into an older home in your price range that is close to 59 and more north. But I have not driven from Sugar Land during rush hour, so I may be wrong.

Is Bellaire out of our price range? Bellaire is out of your price range unless you live in a teeny tiny home. Meyerland is not out of your budget, very nice, good schools. The Meyerland Area has many great pocket neighborhoods surrounding it. (Westbury, Marilyn Estates, Barkley Square, Maplewood S & N, Willow Bend)

Sienna Plantation is a very nice area. Not sure about your commute.

I will tell you that with all the people moving to the Houston area, commutes are getting longer. So really think about that when picking a home.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Sienna Plantation is a very nice area. Not sure about your commute.

I have a friend who just moved to Sienna Plantation about two years ago and really likes it. Her new home is lovely on a fairly decent sized lot.

The only "complaints" that she has voiced are..
1. depending on where in Sienna you live, it could take you 15 minutes just to get out of the neighborhood. This could effect a commute time. I guess where you live in Sienna is important because of the schools. Perhaps someone with better knowledge could address.

2. there are a lot of people who grew up there that live there. While I take that as a testament to a good community where people want to raise kids, it has been hard for her to "break-in" socially. She says it is getting better but it does take time to figure out who are mere acquaintances and who will be true friends.

Her kids love it there and are enjoying their new schools...elementary and middle.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Take a peak at Oak Forest and Garden Oaks. It will be at the edge of your price range, but that area is going to keep appreciating. Otherwise, you will have to live in the suburbs.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
I'd second all the pocket neighborhoods Meyerland mentioned and add a couple.

Willow Meadows north of Bellfort and south of 610 will get you zoned to Red Elem, Johnston Middle, and Bellaire High. And the prices are not as high as they should be, IMO. Red is an underrated elementary. 450k will get you something very nice there.

Then you have Woodshire and Woodside just inside the loop. 450k will be kind of tough in Woodside (man I wish I bought there 2 years ago!), but can be done in Woodshire. Those are zoned to Longfellow, Pershing, and Bellaire. I've heard some hit and miss stuff about Longfellow (there are a lot of apts that feed to it) but I think people do use the school.

Sugar Land is great and is as nice as everyone says and definitely fits your budget. However, to fit your commute requirements, you'll have to go for an older neighborhood more north and closer to 59, such as Sugar Lakes or Sugar Creek. Both pretty awesome neighborhoods, but don't carry the prestige of Telfair, First Colony, and Riverstone. If you want to build, you might check out the Imperial Sugar Land development. Straight shot up 90 to the med center.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:38 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Take a peak at Oak Forest and Garden Oaks. It will be at the edge of your price range, but that area is going to keep appreciating. Otherwise, you will have to live in the suburbs.
This would be a terrible commute to the med center.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Sugar Land and surrounding is very nice, but in rush hour will be over 30 minutes.

As mentioned, if you look at the neighborhoods near Hwy 90, it's a straight shot to the Medical Center (Hwy 90 becomes Main St in Houston.)

Sienna is nice... but just like most of Riverstone it's a long way in and out of the neighborhood, and that to many is inconvenient and gets old quick. I prefer the neighborhoods that aren't set so far back and have better access to the freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston