Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
People will only put up with that type of BS for so long before they crack and cars usually win that game.
Hopefully you are not driving a car on the highway when I buy my 18-wheeler
because that's what I'm gonna do with any car that gets in my way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Yes, I would love to sit at a traffic light for 10 minutes.

Houston's Critical Mass Bike Ride (aka mass traffic mess) - YouTube
This is what they do here in SF As if the street belongs to only them and the cars trying to make it to the freeway so they can go home after working all day are only a nuisance to them.

The one thing that I have discovered since moving here is that people love to think the world revolves around only them. Many are satisfied when they get what they want at the expense of others. Our tax situation is a very good example of this...but that is another topic.

It is the most selfish attitude I have ever witnessed in my life.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
As it stands the Metro Rail in Houston is not that extensive but you still see bicyclists us it. I've personally parked at Stude Park and then rode my bike down the White Oak Trail to the UHD Station. From there I went to Hermann park and enjoyed a show at the Miller Outdoor Theatre. I've seen people in scrubs with bikes commuting for work and I'm sure there are many other miscellaneous reason why people would hop on the rail.

The North Line expansion which starts running next month will have a station four blocks from where I live so I will surely use my bike more for errands. Also Houston has many bike sharing locations around the heart of the city. Surprisingly people are actually using them.
It sounds like the reason people hop on the rail with their bikes is that Houston is not very bike friendly yet. If you only ride comfortably in places with "bike trails" this is a recreational solution, not a real commuter solution.

That's the point of Critical Mass--to condition motorists to share the road with cyclists. They don't advocate "bike trails". They advocate integrated bike lanes and laws that treat cyclists like motorists (except when cyclists are blowing through stop lights, that is) so that even bike lanes are not necessary. A car-dependent city like Houston can probably best hope for a good network of bike trails.

I agree that CM methods are wrong. I also question, along with most Houstonians, whether bicycles as viable transportation will ever really take hold in Houston. It really only happens in places where the surface street traffic is so bad that a bike is preferable to a car. that will probably never happen in Houston's wide streets.

As an aside-- a couple of days ago I agreed to go to a bar in The Mission with some friends from work. I was on foot and they were on bikes. I walked two blocks to the Embarcadero BART station and boarded a train to the 16th St. Mission station, four stops away on rapid rail transit (not light rail). I then walked three blocks to the bar.

In that time, they had gone down to the bike locker in the basement, come back up on the street, ridden the approx. 2.5 miles to the bar in Financial District traffic, locked their bikes to parking meters and were 1/4 of a beer into the evening.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Good deal.

I'm pro-cycling but critical mass reinforces negative concepts about the means of transport. No lights, helmets, or paying attention to traffic laws. Just a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured.
Or killed. I like riding my bike but I would never ride it on busy city streets. I like living and being able to walk/feed myself.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Or killed. I like riding my bike but I would never ride it on busy city streets. I like living and being able to walk/feed myself.
This is exactly my stance. I would not think twice about riding my bicycle in the busy streets of Houston.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
This is exactly my stance. I would not think twice about riding my bicycle in the busy streets of Houston.
I agree. My question is, why do people keep saying that CM is about "no helmets/no lights..." Is that the thing in Houston?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 AM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
It sounds like the reason people hop on the rail with their bikes is that Houston is not very bike friendly yet. If you only ride comfortably in places with "bike trails" this is a recreational solution, not a real commuter solution.
You would be completely wrong in that assumption. People ride their bikes everywhere in Houston despite being a car-centric city with crazy drivers. People use the rail because it is quicker to get to downtown from the medical center. Why would you ride your bike when you can conveniently hop on the rail and then get back on your bike? The lack of bike friendly roads is not deterring Houstonians and their perseverance is actually forcing legislation to make changes to accommodate bicyclists. Also these bike trails are actually connecting the city's inner neighborhoods to downtown and the medical center so they will be a viable option for commuting.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You would be completely wrong in that assumption. People ride their bikes everywhere in Houston despite being a car-centric city with crazy drivers. People use the rail because it is quicker to get to downtown from the medical center. Why would you ride your bike when you can conveniently hop on the rail and then get back on your bike? The lack of bike friendly roads is not deterring Houstonians and their perseverance is actually forcing legislation to make changes to accommodate bicyclists. Also these bike trails are actually connecting the city's inner neighborhoods to downtown and the medical center so they will be a viable option for commuting.
So, you say I am wrong when I say that Houston isn't very bike-friendly, then go on to talk about "Houstonians' perseverance against the lack of bike-friendly roads"?

I'm confused.

People don't commute such short distances in combinations of bike and rail in cities that are bike-friendly. Why would I stop, get off my bike, walk it to the platform, buy a ticket, wait for the streetcar, ride the streetcar in city traffic for a couple of miles, then get back on my bike? In a bike-friendly situation, that distance can be covered much quicker on a bike alone.

The reasons are safety, lack of bike-friendly opportunities or weather.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:11 PM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
So, you say I am wrong when I say that Houston isn't very bike-friendly, then go on to talk about "Houstonians' perseverance against the lack of bike-friendly roads"?

I'm confused.

People don't commute such short distances in combinations of bike and rail in cities that are bike-friendly. Why would I stop, get off my bike, walk it to the platform, buy a ticket, wait for the streetcar, ride the streetcar in city traffic for a couple of miles, then get back on my bike? In a bike-friendly situation, that distance can be covered much quicker on a bike alone.

The reasons are safety, lack of bike-friendly opportunities or weather.
I am saying you are wrong in the assumption that riders use the rail just because Houston is not bike friendly. They use the rail/buses because it is convenient in some instances.

I live by 610 so I surely won't ride my bike to downtown when I can just ride to the metro rail station. When the East Line is done then I can use both my bike and the rail to hangout at the bars over there. Your assertion that people only use their bikes to commute is odd especially in a city like Houston which is spread out.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
especially in a city like Houston which is spread out.
Exactly--meaning not bike-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston