Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't go 3 mil outside the Beltway, unless you are bulding it custom on one of the larger lots along Terry Hershey . There are a few in that range under construction, but in general 2 mil is tops in that area.

2-3 million there are good choices in The Memorial Villages, however I think you can definately find more than you want for around 2 in comparison to DC.

Mom ages usually range for 1st time moms from 26-40. Averages being around 33/34. You'll be fine. Remember plenty of Moms are SAHM on their 3rd or 4th kiddo so there will be plenty in the"older category."

Edit: I wouldn't say it was easy to get into private in Houston anymore.But other than St.Johns, I wouldn't call it cutthroat either. There is so much money coming here, and really very few prestigious schools with proven track records. Social snobbery at one particular school no, but there will always be a click or two that way. Actually I see it more at Memorial High School (public) than from the private kids. Memorial HS is definitely a have and have not population. The privates are majority have, with the scholarship kids thrown in. There is always someone richer sitting next to you, so what's the point. The haves don't seem to mess with the scholarship kids, but more "adopt" them so to speak. They are bonded by the pressures and common goals of high achievers. To the outside world, private school kids, and the wealthy, are always going appear or be portrayed as snobby,but there isn't much you can do about that.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 11-21-2013 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 12,879 times
Thanks again for all the information. I am already contacting schools..it's a bit depressing as I forgot how time consuming those applications are and that is not even factoring in how I am going to manage all the site visits and "playdates" I am also looking through the real estate listings. If anyone has a suggestion on a good realtor for the Memorial area? I am looking for someone who has been selling in the area a long time and has long ties to the area. Thanks so much!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
The Villages- Patricia Reed with John Daughtery. Pama Abercrombie with Greenwood King.
Outside the Beltway of Memorial-Clint Simpson with Greenwood King.
If you head towards Tanglewood-Ruthie Porterfield with Martha Turner.

Applications are already being turned in for schools . Watch those deadlines.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM

60 posts, read 286,457 times
Also Carter Breed with Remax. He is a long time Memorial resident and realtor specializing in the area.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 12,879 times
Can someone explain weather to me. I am trying to figure out what months are super hot where you couldn't run in the morning so I also factoring in humidity. Also, do most people have a pool? I am not sure how I feel about that..worries me even though my kids are learning swimming. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM

280 posts, read 383,891 times
June-Sept are "super hot" but even then you can run in the morning (avg temp in the high 70's - low 80's before 10:00 am or so.)

In Memorial probably 30-40% have pools I would guess. You can actually look at Google earth map to get an idea.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 AM

280 posts, read 383,891 times
actually the hottest place I've ever been is DC in August. Houston is not any worse IMO

Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 AM

183 posts, read 380,620 times
Hot.... Apr - June
Super Hot....July - Sept
Hot... Oct

Old 03-06-2014, 12:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
You are adaptable to the weather, don't worry about it. Run in the morning or after work in the evenings. No most don't have pools, but it may be more common in Memorial area.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM

24 posts, read 32,881 times
Most of the six million-plus residents of the Houston area do not have a pool (most of them also don't have 2-3 million dollar homes).

As far as the weather goes, the summers in Houston are overall much worse than the DC area. Days or spells of high summer heat/humidity in DC may temporarily equal conditions in Houston, but in DC, these are interspersed with periods of less scorching or even pleasant weather.

Houston summers have no breaks or reprieves. It gets quite warm by April and by early May, the heat and humidity are brutal and remain that way basically every single day until at least late September. During this relentlessly hot time, the heat starts very early in the day - you can step outside at 8:00 AM to get the newspaper and be sweating by the time you get back to the house. It stays very warm and muggy even very late at night (like into the wee hours of the AM).

This anomalous year notwithstanding, Houston winters are of course generally far, far milder than those in DC. October through March are often downright pleasant. However, don't expect a spring or fall like in DC. Houston is subtropical - not a four-season climate.

I lived in NOVA for years so I have a basis for comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: