Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM

614 posts, read 1,238,123 times

Advertisements

Never really frequent Craigslist that much and definitely never tried to sell anything until now. Just trying to get rid of a few decorative artwork, vases, etc. and someone suggested Craigslist instead of eBay.

Boy, was I surprised a how many flakes there are on there!

I have many inquiries about wanting certain pieces here and there. That and to see if such and such were still available and about what kind of deals would I offer.

Once I replied that yes they are available, crickets. That's the last I hear from them. Why even ask about a piece then nothing? Why are you even wasting time?

I just don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,766 times
its just the nature of craigslist. overall, i find it to be a decent service. not everyone that messages you will definitely want to get it first thing.

i here and there sell tickets to sporting events, and random stuff on there. until they agree to meet somewhere (although some have flaked even going to the location lol) i take most inquiries with a grain of salt and dont take every email/text as someone whos ready to buy/get what i have listed.

i try to have a decent and honest exchange/experience with someone especially if its their first time using CL bc i find the site to be a good service to use.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
I've sold quite a few things on CL. Even an Airstream travel trailer. The main thing is to put up pictures of what you're selling, list a price and state it as firm or else best offer. I only take email inquires and then if they seem serious, we get in touch by phone.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:52 PM

614 posts, read 1,238,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I've sold quite a few things on CL. Even an Airstream travel trailer. The main thing is to put up pictures of what you're selling, list a price and state it as firm or else best offer. I only take email inquires and then if they seem serious, we get in touch by phone.
That's the thing, my ad does have individual pictures of each item and the sale price of each item. So most people's inquiry is not the price or what they look like etc, it's basically are they still available. When I email them back to say they are, nothing. There was a couple of people wanting deals and when I emailed them back with what I can do, nothing. That I understand that maybe it wasn't good enough for them, so be it. But why ask if something is still available for no reason?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:24 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times
I have sold lots of things on craigslist and it worked out great every time. I even once left the item on the front porch and trusted the buyer to put the money in the mailbox. They left the money and if they did not it was only like 60 bucks. I had football and drinking to do that day!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:25 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Positive for me...

I have purchased more on CL than advertise, and I've never had any problems. I hate to be the cheap bastard who lowballs on something just to steal it, so I don't do that, but I do always research the items as should everyone so as not to insult the seller. This is why I have paid full asking price 98% of the time. Most people who research know when someone is asking for a high price just to start high on the negotiations; I tend to avoid those, even though I may be interested in the item. I feel if the person is honest and listing an item for a reasonable price, and my research confirms it, I will not haggle. I always arrange for meetings in public places, Starbucks, inside stores, etc. There are some bad people out there, especially if for electronics, or jewelry.

To your point, I've had the opposite happen... I reply to an ad only to 'hear' crickets. Don't be those people... if your item sells, don't be so lazy you cannot remove the ad. Also, please don't hold items, and DO sell to first person who shows up with the cash. I think a lot of the 'cricket' noise comes because someone has already posted and "may" be going to check it out. At least have the courtesy and reply to let people know someone is coming to check the item out, and that you may put them on a 'wait list', or better yet, always advertise that it is first-come, first-served.

BTW, the latter is/was not directed at you (OP), but people in general who sell items. For what it's worth, I find the buying is best in the burbs in terms of price, quality and responsiveness, especially Katy. The places with the most 'crickets' for me has been Midtown/Montrose.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,318 times
We've bought and sold quite a few things on craigslist, probably 30+ items. Usually we only sell furniture or items that are $50+ on there, but I will buy anything if it is a deal. I've bought fish tanks, laminate flooring, edgers, fence boards, car parts, etc. For smaller stuff like household items, my wife posts on the Beg Barter Buy and Sell boards on Facebook. There are several of them in various parts of town that you can join through Facebook, just look on google. Usually you are dealing with a more reputable customer, who is likely close to you in your area. We post in the Cypress, Copperfield, Jersey Village and a couple others around us and usually meet at the McDonalds or HEB or Buc ee's by us.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,920 times
My wife and I have sold a bunch of stuff on craigslist, and you're right sometimes you can get many inquiries and then nothing.

Just rule of thumb never meet at your house, always highly visible public locations.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,344 times
While I agree that meeting at a common public place is the safe bet, my experience is that few people do it (at least in the suburbs). Maybe it is because we have usually bought/sold larger items (furniture, bikes). Regarding method of contact, I stick to email so I can weed-out the tire-kickers at my leisure. Others insist on phone calls only, assuming that is the best way to avoid dealing with spam. Met (briefly) lots of good people.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 AM

702 posts, read 1,237,462 times
I stick with email only unless they're serious about purchasing as well. CL has been good to me. Much better than selling on Ebay, lose a lot of profit on fees and potentially having the buyer say they never received an item and you're screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston