Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 AM

998 posts, read 1,326,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
OK, so apparently Native Americans don't want their likenesses used as caricatures. Given their near extinction from this world at the hands of European settlers, I can accept that. It makes a certain kind of sense. (OK, that was sarcastic; it actually makes all kinds of sense.)

Otoh, white people get offended when we are told we can't use other culture's likenesses as caricatures. This is apparently our weakness. Seriously, white guys, get over it. You are actually proving yourselves MORE whiny and sensitive than the people you accuse of being whiny and sensitive. You can't even accept a small name change--one that you admit as the very premise of your argument is negligible--without this whiny fit? The ladies doth protest too much.
pretty much

Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
I demand that the Justice Department take legal action to change the mascot of Red Mesa High School. The use of the Redskins mascot is extremely offensive to me. Compound that with the FACT that this high school is located on a Navajo reservation and attended by Native Americans makes it even worse. I'm sick of people like this trampling my rights. As a person of mainly European decent, I don't want to be reminded of the Native Americans by having to hear any terms associated with them.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 AM

693 posts, read 1,109,118 times
Quote:
OK, so apparently Native Americans don't want their likenesses used as caricatures.
A patently false statement. This local push to change the names originated from a politician (Rodney Ellis LOL) and the Anti-defamation League (ADL). To say that the ADL uses questionable and meddlesome tactics to scare its enemies is a HUGE understatement.

The rest of your argument is just emotion-driven typical leftist garbage. I haven't seen any Native American around the city picketing HISD or these campuses. Show me where Indians have had their feelings hurt because of these HISD mascot names.

If anything, they should be proud America chooses to use their likeness to represent the one thing all Americans love: sports. HISD will kowtow to the polictically correct bullying, and we will see name changes for the the Indian names and the Rebels name. It is too bad America has gone PC and doesn't work to solve the real problems.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
A patently false statement. This local push to change the names originated from a politician (Rodney Ellis LOL) and the Anti-defamation League (ADL). To say that the ADL uses questionable and meddlesome tactics to scare its enemies is a HUGE understatement.

The rest of your argument is just emotion-driven typical leftist garbage. I haven't seen any Native American around the city picketing HISD or these campuses. Show me where Indians have had their feelings hurt because of these HISD mascot names.

If anything, they should be proud America chooses to use their likeness to represent the one thing all Americans love: sports. HISD will kowtow to the polictically correct bullying, and we will see name changes for the the Indian names and the Rebels name. It is too bad America has gone PC and doesn't work to solve the real problems.
I agree with you that there are other issues, issues larger than those related to a team name. But if that is really your position, why do you even care if a name is changed? If as you say, it makes no difference anyway to the real social issues, why bother?

Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,490,099 times
Default Probably no native Americans attending this school, Perdo

Reminds me of Elizabeth Warren who used to claim she was Native American ( a whole 3.125%). Then nobody could find any proof of this, then it was just "family folklore", then the records (proof) were destroyed in 1906. LOL

Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I agree with you that there are other issues, issues larger than those related to a team name. But if that is really your position, why do you even care if a name is changed? If as you say, it makes no difference anyway to the real social issues, why bother?
Because it is energy spent by the district to appease the crybaby politicians and special interests when the manpower at HISD could be working to do stuff schools are supposed to do, like educate kids. Or hire prinicipals that are NOT drug abusers.

And having a politician knocking down HISD's doors is just as ridiculous. You can't tell me Rodney Ellis is serving his constituency to the best of his abilities by clamoring for a few schools to change their names because the ADL is all in the district's face about a few mascots.

Unfortunately this is just me banging my head against the wall since I expect 1) Special interest ADL to not stir the pot in Houston, 2) a school district to actually focus on education instead of kowtowing to bullies and 3) a state senator to serve as an elected official rather than bullying HISD.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,552,450 times
We should update it with the most scary people of today, for effect and team spirit. Call it the Westbury Illegals.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,058,951 times
Someone should close this thread. These comments really belong in the comment section of the Chronicle, not here. What a load of ignorant BS.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Someone should close this thread. These comments really belong in the comment section of the Chronicle, not here. What a load of ignorant BS.
I completely agree. I think I have already refuted one straw man argument today. It was wrong of me to think more people would see the ridiculousness of letting the ADL and a hack senator bully HISD into changing some mascot names that no one else was really griping about. How dumb of me!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
I find it odd that politicians, influential rich people and corporations spend a fair amount of resources in order to get things named after them or depicting them, yet others are so highly offended.

How much money does Reliant pay out to have the naming rights to the stadium where the Texans play? How much does Shell pay to have a sticker on the side of a race car?

Nobody names their team in order to offend someone or make fun of a person. Teams mascot are chosen as a sign of pride, inspiration, unity of just coolness.

Does anybody think that if given the chance Cisco would pass up the opportunity to have the San Francisco NFL franchise named the Cisco Switches? If somebody came up to a man on the streets of Houston and said, "We're changing the logo of the Texans from a bull to a cowboy type rough and rugged man that captures the spirit of the old west. We think you illustrate that look and would like you to be the model of our new mascot." How many men would be offended by that? Not many.

IMHO, this comes down to a few people looking for attention and have to have a cause that they can be part. If they weren't complaining about this, they'd find something else that highly offended them.

Wow, a poll of Native Americans showing that 90% (of that polling group) weren't bothered by the name of the Washington Redskins - How Many Native Americans Think ‘Redskins’ is a Slur? « CBS DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston