Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:18 PM

14 posts, read 17,529 times

Advertisements

I've been living in my current home for the last 5 or so years and due to a career change I must move now. I own the home and would like to rent it out, however I'm not a realtor so have no clue how much to ask for?

About the house:
- It's a 1988 built home in Robinson's Landing in New Territory (Sugar Land, TX 77479).
- 4 bedrooms (proper bedrooms, not studies).
- 2 1/2 bathrooms.
- All bedrooms upstairs.
- 2 full bathrooms upstairs.
- 1/2 bathroom downstairs.
- Besides the rooms/baths the house has a formal room, a dining room, a lounge - all downstairs and a common area upstairs between the four rooms. The house also has a full insulated and air-conditioned/heated attached garage.
- House is about 2600 sq feet.
- House has no rear neighbors (privacy) and is zoned to some of the best schools in the nation.

Since this house has been a primary residence I have been lazy with updating a few things, which I plan on doing soon (before renting out). According to Zillow the house is valued around $203,000. What would be a fair asking price? (Rent wise).

Thank You for your input - I've always enjoyed the opinions of the members here in regards to Sugar Land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 PM

193 posts, read 437,764 times
I can provide you with a reasonable rental rate. Sent you a message with more details.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:09 AM

14 posts, read 17,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Flake View Post
I can provide you with a reasonable rental rate. Sent you a message with more details.
Hi,

I got your PM but due to my noobness I guess I can't reply to you till tomorrow at 7pm (go figure!).

I'm trying to rent as owner currently without involving a lot of parties, but if that doesn't work out I may hiring an agent/company to rent it out. Just testing waters for now and trying to gauge what would be a fair price.

Thank You for reaching out!

Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
The first thing is that your house is most likely worth more than what Zillow says. I say most likely because it depends on what kind of shape it's in.

Second is do a rental search in New Territory on HAR to get a feel for rents there. That will be your starting point.

After that you'll probably have to get a realtor involved.

EDIT: I just did the search on HAR. There are 11 active properties for rent in NT. Based on your square footage and condition, I'd list between 2100-2200.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:15 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
The first thing is that your house is most likely worth more than what Zillow says. I say most likely because it depends on what kind of shape it's in.

Second is do a rental search in New Territory on HAR to get a feel for rents there. That will be your starting point.

After that you'll probably have to get a realtor involved.

EDIT: I just did the search on HAR. There are 11 active properties for rent in NT. Based on your square footage and condition, I'd list between 2100-2200.
Craigslist is a viable option. I've always had success for rental homes. Usually get many replies from families and have not encountered any scammers. There are also some agents/property managers that will manage the property for less than the typical 8-10% monthly rate. I'd avoid any realtor wanting 10% of the total annual lease payment just for putting your property on the MLS. If you price it correctly on Craigslist you will get a number of replies. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:34 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
When my family first moved to Sugar Land in 2008, we rented a home in Robinson's Landing. The home was 3000 square feet but in poor condition. Rent was $1650/month.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetto View Post
Hi,

I got your PM but due to my noobness I guess I can't reply to you till tomorrow at 7pm (go figure!).

I'm trying to rent as owner currently without involving a lot of parties, but if that doesn't work out I may hiring an agent/company to rent it out. Just testing waters for now and trying to gauge what would be a fair price.

Thank You for reaching out!
Save yourself a lot of headaches and use a leasing agent.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM

118 posts, read 340,248 times
$2200 Is a very reasonable amount, but it must be in good condition.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 AM

23 posts, read 69,096 times
I would highly recommend using a realtor to rent your home, especially if this is your first time. Renting out a house is not as easy as it looks, be sure to get a agent who is highly involved and will help or conduct a background and credit check for you. This will help with making an informed decision of who should be living in your house. Additionally, your home will get a whole lot more exposure being MLS listed for rent allowing you to select the best candidate.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,895 times
I was in the same position a couple of years ago. Our home is about the same size and same am amentities. However, my master bedroom s down md house located in Pecan Grove. I rent for $1950. Most important, use a leasing agent to take care of all of the issues collect the rent, etc. the leasing agent will deposit your money directly into your account. PM me and I'll give you the name of the company I use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston