Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times

Advertisements

This isn't for me as my family has lived in the Houston area for almost 10 years, but this one has me stumped. My parents moved to the area earlier this month, and before they moved (from out of state) they sold their two cars. So now they are down here with just their out of state driver's licenses. I just finished doing research online for how they can get Texas driver's licenses. They also are interested in purchasing a new (to them) car and getting insurance for it as well. What is the order in which they should approach these three things- driver's licenses, car, and insurance? When my husband and I moved down here, we had one of our cars shipped, and we drove one, so we just had our car insurance transferred to a local agent at State Farm and then got our new driver's licenses.

The reason I am stumped is that it seems easier for them to have a car first before getting new licenses, or they will have to make an affirmed statement that they don't own vehicles. Then, when you purchase a new car, the car dealer wants to see your current insurance policy (we just purchased a new car in July, and this is what I remember). But, you can't really get insurance until you have a car to insure.

Anyway, I am probably overthinking this, but what would you do first?

By the way, my parents are loving the area and are very happy to be down here. But they will be happier when they have a car of their own, I am sure!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Your parents have 90 days to apply for Texas licenses after moving to the state to reside. There's no need to get the license before the car, unless they plan to be without a car for the 90 days.

They should contact an insurance agent for the specifics. I don't recall having to show a dealer proof of current insurance, but maybe times have changed.

Oh, when they apply for the Texas license, they will need two forms of residency (address and names). I believe car insurance and car registration both will work for the residency documents.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
Pick out a car to buy, then contact your selected insurance company/agent to get the insurance started and they can fax/email the proof of insurance to the dealer if needed prior to them signing the paperwork. They can get the license plate and registration in their new address which they will receive from the dealer in a week or so. Then they can get their driver's license changed since they have proof of residency & insurance coverage.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: