Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwminitek View Post
What plants are these? There is very small plant industry in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,945 times
Any suggestions on who to apply with?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 PM

23 posts, read 47,998 times
Plants= factories ... I didn't go to 4 year college . I'm not an expert in the industry just go what I see in my surroundings. Is been years I been to places like Magnolia but driving by I10 I only see is the bud plant and warehouses.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 PM

116 posts, read 196,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwminitek View Post
Plants= factories ... I didn't go to 4 year college . I'm not an expert in the industry just go what I see in my surroundings. Is been years I been to places like Magnolia but driving by I10 I only see is the bud plant and warehouses.
The Hwy 225 corridor runs east from the East Loop to Baytown/LaPorte, along the south side of the ship channel. Mile after mile of refineries and chemical plants. And not limited to 225.

Operators, pipe fitters, welders...those types of skills. There is so much expansion going on that lots of construction jobs are available, too.

Goodyear, Shell, Exxon, Lyondell, Air Liquide are just a few that come to mind, but there are many more.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 AM

157 posts, read 325,819 times
That kind of work is very hard on your body. I say do it while young, don't blow your money on bars and sluts, then start your own business with your savings. Everyone needs plumbers, HVAC, electrical, etc. Go talk to the guys who have worked the plants for 30 years and see what kind of chronic health problems they have. The pay might be great but good health is priceless.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The main reason is the stupid drug test that make factories fired qualified employees because of something they smoked when they weren't at work.
Does a drug test tell you what time of day you smoked?

Let's say something goes wrong at a plant and some people are injured because you were in a hurry and made a really bad mistake. Let's say it happened on a Monday afternoon, and you smoked a blunt on Friday night. When the toxicology report comes back showing that you've had marijuana in your system, do you think the lawyers of the injured people would bring up the fact that the plant hired and retained a "drug addict" because they don't drug test?

Like it or not, we live in a very litigious society where everything is under a microscope. The fact that you smoking on Friday night would have nothing to do with the accident Monday afternoon would be overlooked by the jury. They'd see that a company didn't take the simple step of making sure the employees, in this dangerous environment, weren't on drugs and a danger to the rest of the workers via drug screenings and go bonkers with the awards.

Companies are exposed to major liabilities, and it's their duty to minimize that risk.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
My brother works at an engineering and survey firm, and they are always having troubles hiring guys to work in the field helping shoot the surveys. He said they start at $14 and hour and can be running a crew in about a year to a year and a half making $22 an hour or more. They get full benefits and Christmas bonuses and there are plenty of times to work overtime.

The problem is that hardly anyone, except ex-cons, will work in the Houston heat and humidity. So, they are always hiring these ex-cons who have a habit of failing to show up for work.

This came up when we were going to the shooting range and the radio was talking about the fast food strikes.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM

116 posts, read 196,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My brother works at an engineering and survey firm, and they are always having troubles hiring guys to work in the field helping shoot the surveys. He said they start at $14 and hour and can be running a crew in about a year to a year and a half making $22 an hour or more. They get full benefits and Christmas bonuses and there are plenty of times to work overtime.

The problem is that hardly anyone, except ex-cons, will work in the Houston heat and humidity. So, they are always hiring these ex-cons who have a habit of failing to show up for work.

This came up when we were going to the shooting range and the radio was talking about the fast food strikes.

Everyone wants a corner office and a six figure salary . These jobs I've mentioned aren't for everyone, but once you get on with a company (like the survey co above), and you prove to be a reliable, competent employee, you can quickly move up the ladder and make an hourly wage 3-4x/minimum (or more, depending on the position), plus good benefits. Guess it just depends on how bad a person wants to work. Sure beats the hell out of being on unemployment.....on second thought, maybe not.....

Old 01-02-2014, 11:15 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Haggis View Post
That kind of work is very hard on your body. I say do it while young, don't blow your money on bars and sluts, then start your own business with your savings. Everyone needs plumbers, HVAC, electrical, etc. Go talk to the guys who have worked the plants for 30 years and see what kind of chronic health problems they have. The pay might be great but good health is priceless.
One of my uncles worked in a refinery for many years
now he's the only relative in the family that has mental issues (Alzheimer's)

Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Lets not be irresponsible and put a direct line between working in a plant and mental illness...or diabetes, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, prostate cancer, etc. Many lifestyle choices play into illness, and even moreso genetics. But I don't want to divert the thread.

There are very good jobs in the plants available for people with some technical apptitude and training...like the San Jac program. Drug testing is pretty much a requirement and I don't think its a bad thing...but employers need a clean drug screen to hire you.

I have worked in and with refineries for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston