Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM

131 posts, read 153,825 times

Advertisements

Well this is something I would like opinions on from the posters on here. I know most of y'all are adults living in the real world. I myself am an adult, but I'm 20 years old, still living at home, going to school at the junior college ACC (alvin community college)

What I want an opinion on is would a job like physical therapy, be one that's demanded in sugar land? I want to live there bad, and it seems like I can't get it fast enough. I just want to live there and of course be successful but I don't know how to get there (I don't mean I don't know the directions to drive there)

My question seems kind of lame and vague but I will gladly expand on it (just specify what you need to know more about to give a better answer)

Please no negative talk. All answers and input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 PM

467 posts, read 779,340 times
Hustle hard and never give up. Activity breeds activity. Don't take a career just for the $$$... make sure you enjoy what you do and you will be successful. If living in Sugar Land is what you want, Im sure things will fall into place soon enough to put you on the path to get there. Enjoy the journey and dont rush your 20s. Im sure there are plenty of people in SL who wish they didn't.. and probably some who didn't.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Your life is unfolding before you. Enjoy the ride while you are young. You will blink and be 30.
Find a career that you enjoy that will provide a good income. Physical therapy is a good career only if you enjoy it. You will not love every minute of your profession, but you want to like it overall.

SugarLand is a great city and has people who work lots of different jobs. It is a good goal to strive for.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,956,038 times
Physical Therapy is a great field to get into--between sports medicine & the aging population (we "Baby Boomers" ) needing joint replacement surgeries now & in the future--it's a good profession if you are really interested in changing people's quality of life. There are all kinds of places you could work, too. From actual hospitals to rehab facilities, ortho clinics, etc.

Once you have your degree/certification, you will be able to pick & choose where you want to work. You might want to take a part time job working as a PT assistant to get a taste of what it's like out there in the real world.
That might help you decide if you really want to commit to PT as a career. I am an RN who has worked orthopedics for most of my career, working closely with PTs, PT Techs, & PT assistants. A lot of what's involved is not just physical treatments, but psychology and motivational techniques to encourage & inspire your patients.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Really appreciate the input!!

My dad lives in friendswood, mom lives in Cy fair, but the rest of my immediate family (grandad, grandma, cousin, aunt, uncle) live in Texas City and expect me to live in TC lol

Is Greatwood within Sugar Land city limits or just outside?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM

155 posts, read 267,836 times
Greatwood is sugarland city limits. It falls under 77479 zip

Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsuburbs View Post
Greatwood is sugarland city limits. It falls under 77479 zip
No, it's in the ETJ. It hasn't been annexed yet by Sugar Land.
Same goes for New Territory.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,242 times
I've been helped by several PTs, and have been impressed with how happy they seemed. I got the impression that they loved the social interaction, and the pay was good. The last one I went to contracted out to a huge clinic, and I was amazed at the amounts she was able to charge. But maybe more importantly, it's a job that will have security, especially as the population ages. You're selecting a great career.

I wish I had advice on Sugar Land. I don't know much about it other than its reputation as an incredibly diverse, nice city.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM

I think PT is right up my alley. If I don't pursue that profession, I want to be the next Bill Carter.

What are good neighborhoods and apartments that fall directly in the Sugar Land city limit? Not missouri city or stafford.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM

189 posts, read 584,904 times
Richmond is 5~10 minutes away from Sugar Land depending on what area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston