Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM

176 posts, read 299,863 times

Advertisements

Where would be the best place to get a job in marketing/Sales/Management ???

Is Austin only for High-tech ? Is it like Silicon valley where its crowded with engineers and all the rest eat ****.
Is Houston only for energy ? is it an ugly city ? dangerous ?

Houston is caring me, I feel its a place where everyone has 4 guns waiting to meet the next victim.

WHERE TO MOVE ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Houston isn't only energy. Skim over this:
Economy of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of the safest cities in the nation are in the Houston metro:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Pearland and Sugar Land are two of the nation's safest cities in which to live, according to Congressional Quarterly | abc13.com
The League City Official Website!

Is it ugly? Well parts of it are and parts of it aren't. It's no more scary than any other major city.

I don't live in Austin, but it certainly isn't only high tech.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2014 at 06:57 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM

DanielWayne

Thanks - that was helpful !!!
You know anything about Austin ???

Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Pros about Houston:
Jobs, jobs, jobs. This isn't to say that you should move to Houston without a job, secure one first, but there are an abundance of jobs if you have skills. And it's not just in energy. Houston is unique that it has strong sectors in other fields like Medicine, construction, real estate, law, engineering, logistics, ports, shipping, retail, etc.

It's the cheapest major city after San Antonio I believe. Out of the top four Austin is the most expensive, followed by Dallas, then Houston and last San Antone. In the loop it gets pricey but no where near as insane as what people want for their hovels inside Austin's downtown area.

Salaries are great from what I hear from friends. It's the land of the 50k millionaire. I have friends making that much and snagging up homes outside the loop on the cheap. A household income of 80k is what my best friend lives off of and he is doing really really well.

Cons for Houston:
It is ugly. I cannot stress this enough. If you currently live anywhere hilly, with four seasons and next to beautiful lakes, rivers or oceans, then you will be utterly disappointed. It is not the most aesthetically pleasing city at all. At least midwestern/north atlantic rust belt towns that are on their way out have some amazing topography, but Houston lacks that in more ways than one. If you do not care about that then you shouldn't worry about it. It's just that it's flat and hot and humid, and when I say humid I mean unbearably steamy to where you cannot live without AC.

It's pretty conservative outside of the inner loop. If you don't care about that then you're fine. It's just after living in a solidly blue state for a long time and coming back to Houston to stay for a few weeks I noticed the major difference for the first time in my life. Sorry to say, and the Texans on this forum will vehemently deny this, but there is a subtle slight racial hierarchy (not so much in the city). Most people get along just fine and no one lets such a thing even bother them or affect their career moves but it's just weird that it's there. It bothers me but it certainly doesn't seem to bother anyone else. Maybe they're just used to it or don't even notice it or don't think it really affects them personally, IDK.

Austin:
Expensive. Too many people. Worse traffic. Expensive. Tighter job market. Fierce competition for those jobs. Expensive.

Pros: Beautiful little city. Utterly gorgeous hill country outskirts with dazzling lakes. I can see why it's a highly sought after place to call home. Eclectic live and let live vibe. Friendly people, not dog eat dog like Houston. Totally laid back and comfortable culture.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 PM

First Thanks.
Second - regarding jobs, is it welcoming for new college graduates or is it hard to put ur feet in doors ???

Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Houston is friendlier to me to recent grads than Austin would be. I mean the city revolves around UT Austin which is supplying a steady stream of grads every year, not to mention the graduates from CA and Northeast schools dying for their piece of the Austin pie. So I bet job wise it's way more competitive out there and while I love cities with a large creative class, you have to deal with their egos and while Austinites assure me Austin is still a laid back unpretentious place, you cannot tell me that with that many transplants from the West and East coasts from top schools, that they did not bring with them a piece of that egotistical culture.

I love Houston because it's still the type of city in certain sectors not in the loop, where if someone likes the impression you've given them and you have the skills necessary for the job, then you have a big chance.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Got your point !
What if its hard for me to secure a job before moving there, should i just move and start my job hunting ???
I am outside the U.S at the moment.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
First Thanks.
Second - regarding jobs, is it welcoming for new college graduates or is it hard to put ur feet in doors ???
Austin jobs are harder than Houston for sure. You will compete with a ton of hipsters that just want to live in Austin because it is Austin.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Austin jobs are harder than Houston for sure. You will compete with a ton of hipsters that just want to live in Austin because it is Austin.
Ugh. Forget that. That's how it is in LA. Its hard to get a job even in retail cus this city is filled with a lot if unskilled dreamy slackers with no creds.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
Where would be the best place to get a job in marketing/Sales/Management ???

Is Austin only for High-tech ? Is it like Silicon valley where its crowded with engineers and all the rest eat ****.
Is Houston only for energy ? is it an ugly city ? dangerous ?

Houston is caring me, I feel its a place where everyone has 4 guns waiting to meet the next victim.

WHERE TO MOVE ???
You should move to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston