Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 14,361 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are planning family vacation & it turns out if I want to go, need to take my kid out of school on the last week of school year. My kid is in Katy ISD and this year their last day of school is on Thursday.
My understanding is that if you miss school three (3) consecutive days, you will get a letter from the court and you have to go to court several times.

Is there any other way I can take my kid out without getting a letter from the court?

Has any parents done it before?

Any info is appreciated.

Katyparent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM

418 posts, read 741,882 times
Can you just plan your vacation a week later?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Hi, having asked a similar question before, prepare yourself for two lovely responses you'll probably get (unless I maybe scare them off by posting first?):

1. Public schools are useless babysitters and your kids will miss nothing by missing school so you might as well take them out completely, forever.
2. You are a lousy parent to put your vacation plans ahead of your children's education. You are a terrible role model and society's problems are your fault.

Now, a serious answer. I've found that people seem to have different experiences in different districts, and different schools within the district. In my own experience, if I let the teacher know in advance, and called in the school in the morning to say I know my child is absent, there was no problem. But I'm not in your district. I hope someone who is can help you with more specific information.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
Can't you just lie and say the kid got the flu?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyparent View Post
Hello,
My understanding is that if you miss school three (3) consecutive days, you will get a letter from the court and you have to go to court several times.
I've never heard that rule before (the 3 consecutive days part). I've taken my child out for a week, she was in kindergarten at the time and I just let them know ahead of time. She had not missed any days that semester so she wasn't in danger of not passing. They just informed me it will be counted as unexcused, no biggie.

It really depends on what grade your child is in and if they'll be missing any tests that last week. Some teachers might not let them make up tests if its unexcused, especially for a vacation.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
I took a kinder-aged kid out for a week (in a different district). I let the principal and the teacher know ahead of time, and sent a note when she got back. I got an official letter from the school talking about the truancy policy (since it was a 5-day absence). That was it.

It's the end of school...I can't see it being a big issue, providing there are no big tests.

This year, thanks to the ice days, my now 2nd-grader will miss the last day of school. I don't think it's a big deal.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,371 times
I'm quite familiar with this topic, having received a lovely letter from Katy ISD police several years ago which began, "Perhaps you aren't aware of the importance of your child's education..." and continued with a warning that I could be taken to court. So why did I get this letter? Two of my teenagers were in Australia and their return flight was postponed by 24 hours, which meant they missed a third day of school. (We had prepared for them to miss two days, but not three.) I was completely honest with the school, even showing the original flight times and the change, but it made no difference. I was informed that if either of my kids got sick for the remainder of the year, I would have to send in a doctor's note verifying the illness, even if it was just a cold. Am I a deadbeat, uninvolved parent who doesn't understand the importance of an education? No. Were my kids trouble-makers who struggled in school? No. But Katy ISD's zero tolerance policy seems to extend to more than just drugs, weapons, and vandalism.

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably still tell the truth because I don't want my kids thinking it's okay to lie, but the way Katy ISD's rules are written, it makes it tempting to just say your child is sick. Why? Because an illness that doesn't exceed 5 days requires only a note or phone call from the parent, not a physician.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Each day they miss means less money for the district.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:52 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
Elementary age I wouldn't sweat it. 6th grade and up they have tests that last week of school.

Last year we missed the last day of school for vacation. Only thing noticeable for my grade schooler is they had her EOY papers/awards/report card waiting for her in her new class that fall.

I did make a decision one year to pull them out for a week cruise in December. Trying to appease the inlaws in their quest for cheap vacation (eye roll) I got the nasty letter times 3. First for missing 3 days, then missing the 4th then missing the 5th. No court date, but it wasn't worth the stress to me or the kids.

Btw... I won't lie. I'll tell the school straight up and live with the consequences. I'm trying to raise kids of good character and wont teach them to lie their way out of trouble. Stand up and take the consequences.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
As a teacher, I say it's not a big deal to miss the last week of school from an educational standpoint. That being said, you really need to talk with your registrar/ attendance clerk or principal. Some of my students parents have been pulled into court before due to us excused absences and excessive absences. I have also had to fight my school to not retain a child who had genuinely passed the grade level, but had been absent a lot. I would not pull my child out of school longer than three days without "permission", because it is not worth the hassle. I would worry excessively the rest of the school year that the child might get the flu or break a leg etc...

They may have you withdraw your child and the enroll again in the Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: