Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM

370 posts, read 612,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Agreed. I think Sugar Land should be the first place you look at for that budget. I don't think there's much nightlife in Pearland or Katy; that would be Sugar Land and the Woodlands, but Sugar Land is much closer and more convenient to town.

I have no idea where you get any of this misinformation.

First of all, Sugar Land is not just as far out as the Woodlands; the center of Sugar Land is 20 miles from downtown Houston, while the center of The Woodlands is 30 miles out, which makes Sugar Land 2/3 the distance of the Woodlands from downtown. Not to mention Sugar Land is much closer to most of Houston's areas of interest such as the Museum District, Zoo, Medical District, Galleria area, Energy Corridor and Westchase.

As to the rest on appreciation, not sure what basis you have for that either. The City of Sugar Land has run out of land; the prices just keep going up, and people are starting to have to move to neighboring areas such as neighborhoods with Richmond addresses.

Don't exaggerate, The Woodlands is 4 - 5 Miles out further. They are BOTH suburbs way out of the city. I was just driving back from my friends house in New Territory this past weekend (10pm), it took me 35 minutes via GPS to get to downtown. It takes me the same time to get from Grogans Mill/Sawdust to Downtown. You only think The Woodlands is far because it's not closer to the "Med center, Museum District, Galleria" 45 South going towards downtown is not as bad as 59 North into downtown, so you actually have better commute times coming from the North. My brother has lived in the Woodlands for the last 5 years and has been commuting to downtown every weekday, it rarely ever takes him longer than 40 minutes. Now once again, I was giving the OP suggestions to put their money where they will MAKE more money investment wise. What basis am I putting the appreciation on? Homes that were bought in 2009-2010 in the Woodlands made almost TWICE the appreciation than that of Sugarland. Sugarland has sort of already peaked, there are areas in Sugarland that are nice investments, but the OP won't see the same return he/she will see in the Woodlands, in Sugarland. No one is dissing your suburb of Sugarland, Even I mentioned that I like it. I simply mentioned If I was going to spend 500k on a home, It would be in a newer developed area.

Ask yourself this, If you had 500k, would you go buy a home in Kingwood? Sure, Kingwood is a great neighborhood, but why would put your money there when theres newer better options like The Woodlands? Similar situation with Sugarland, the area was developed years ago. Is Sugarland still a good option? I think it's fine and you will still appreciate, but the OP will see much better appreciation in the Woodlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Don't exaggerate, The Woodlands is 4 - 5 Miles out further.
Seriously?

Google Maps is your friend.

Central (Town Center) Sugar Land to downtown Houston is 20 miles.

Central (Town Center) Woodlands to downtown Houston is 30 miles.

Can't argue with facts. There are definitely exaggerations in this thread, but they're not coming from me, sorry.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I just did Google Maps:

The Woodlands, TX to Houston, TX - 29.9 miles, 31 minutes
Sugarland, TX to Houston, TX - 20.8 miles, 25 minutes

IMHO, there isn't that much difference. Why? Because on Houston freeways, you're going to have lots of different issues causing delays once you are coming in from the suburbs at rush hour. The Woodlands has a much easier alternate (in terms of mid route convenience - Hardy Toll Road) than Sugarland, which to me, negates the 9 mile difference that Sugarland enjoys and puts them basically on equal footing when discussing commute.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
I don't go up to the Woodlands much since I live in a southern burb, is it true that it can take an hour just to get out if you live in there?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 AM

370 posts, read 612,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Seriously?

Google Maps is your friend.

Central (Town Center) Sugar Land to downtown Houston is 20 miles.

Central (Town Center) Woodlands to downtown Houston is 30 miles.

Can't argue with facts. There are definitely exaggerations in this thread, but they're not coming from me, sorry.
Your facts are about where the Town Centers are located geographically -.-

The Woodlands doesn't start at Town center buddy, it starts at the border of North Spring/South Woodlands and the Woodlands goes all the way North 'til it borders with Southern point of Conroe. It's a HUGE covered area.

The same goes for Sugarland, someone could live deep into grand parkway/greatwood and that would add an additional 8 - 10 miles.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:50 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
You should live in The Woodlands. Don't live in another suburb, you'll be very disappointed.

Don't forget... 3% property tax.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Your facts are about where the Town Centers are located geographically -.-

The Woodlands doesn't start at Town center buddy, it starts at the border of North Spring/South Woodlands and the Woodlands goes all the way North 'til it borders with Southern point of Conroe. It's a HUGE covered area.

The same goes for Sugarland, someone could live deep into grand parkway/greatwood and that would add an additional 8 - 10 miles.
You're really grasping now...

Sugar Land doesn't "start" at its Town Square either, it technically "starts" right after Stafford which is closer to Houston.

The Woodlands also has neighborhoods further north (and further out) than its Town Center.

The just of it -- Overall, yes, Sugar Land is not as far from downtown as the Woodlands, despite your claim. Facts are facts, sorry. Not like I really care about that fact, but I do care about others misleading and stating untruths who go on to accuse me of doing such.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I just did Google Maps:

The Woodlands, TX to Houston, TX - 29.9 miles, 31 minutes
Sugarland, TX to Houston, TX - 20.8 miles, 25 minutes

IMHO, there isn't that much difference. Why? Because on Houston freeways, you're going to have lots of different issues causing delays once you are coming in from the suburbs at rush hour. The Woodlands has a much easier alternate (in terms of mid route convenience - Hardy Toll Road) than Sugarland, which to me, negates the 9 mile difference that Sugarland enjoys and puts them basically on equal footing when discussing commute.
Lol, that's almost a ten miles, that's a big difference. Especially when you start talking about dealing with traffic.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, that's almost a ten miles, that's a big difference. Especially when you start talking about dealing with traffic.
Argue the point with Google, it's the one showing a 6 minute difference.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Argue the point with Google, it's the one showing a 6 minute difference.
Right now, at this moment (early afternoon), google maps says my commute to work, freeway exit to freeway exit is
- SIX MINUTES!

Does that mean I tell people my commute to work is six minutes?? Puleeezzz...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston