Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 PM

498 posts, read 837,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
This is what happened.. I parked at a gas station to buy something. My son was at the back seat. I turned off the car and for whatever freak reason the car alarm went off. I hurriedly turned off the alarm. When I opened the front door this huge dude shouted at me "learn to control your alarm idiot" I was shocked and wasn't able to respond.
That shocked sensation was your body's adrenaline dump. It wasn't until your "fight or flight" had drained could you then think cognitively, i.e. fire back a witty insult to counter. It happens to all of us and leaves us all saying "I should have done this, or said that" ten minutes after once you bottom out.

You have to learn to let stuff like that go. Especially in this town, where people get killed over less. I'm not suggesting you kowtow to every bully you might encounter, but why unnessessarily become a statistic? And by statistic I don't mean another dead Houstonian. I mean another Houstonian who ends up in front of a grand-jury after spending weeks in jail away from their family now just hoping that 12 strangers see the events as you saw them and give you a no-bill. It's just not worth the time and money.

As for the law, it states that you may carry a hand-gun in your vehicle, so long as it's concealed: Texas Penal Code 46.02

It also states that you must NOT provoke the person against whom deadly force is used: Texas Penal Code 9.31 C-2

I would take the time to read sections 9.31 through 9.44 to gain a better understanding of what Texas defines as self-defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Quote:
When I see you, I'd call you a btich in front of your kids coz I know you'd just walk away without saying a word. GTFO
Yeah I care more about the safey of my kids than the views of some random..then again I,m adult and cant;t be bated like some high school kid

Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
This is what happened.. I parked at a gas station to buy something. My son was at the back seat. I turned off the car and for whatever freak reason the car alarm went off. I hurriedly turned off the alarm. When I opened the front door this huge dude shouted at me "learn to control your alarm idiot" I was shocked and wasn't able to respond. Honestly, I wasn't scared more like confused, what his problem was. Anyway, nothing happened as I didn't respond. But I was thinking about it afterwards and was a bit embarrassed about myself that I didn't do anything.

I'm curious that if this happens again I may respond with an insult as well. And if the other guy is bigger and would come at me, I would grab whatever I could and hit him. In this scenario I guess it's still "standing your ground".

I won't respond to this thread anymore. I'll just research what standing your ground law is.
Why would you bother to respond to anyone who yells at you? It's silly. Anger is the weakest possible response to someone's words. The strongest response, believe it or not, is simply accepting the words as their opinion. Another good response is humor. In the case above, "I don't have an alarm, it must be the cat."

When we withdraw from the game, our own lives become better.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
some people are hot head juveniles that should be barred from owning lethal weapons. that's how innocent people die. people who dont want to "back down" because someone said a curse word and end up taking a life. i cant wait until that law changes. people in this country need to act like adults and accept responsibility for their actions - being in a deadly confrontation because some bro got his ego hurt isn't that

Brom - in your situation a dude cursed at you in front of your children. you wish you cursed at them, threw a punch. than that much larger man, in your own belief, would have 100% right to shoot you dead in front of your children to protect himself from a crazy person instigating a fight. in stand your ground laws whoever is the last person standing is deemed the innocent one. way too dangerous of a gamble for my blood. ive got better things to do in life

Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
some people are hot head juveniles that should be barred from owning lethal weapons. that's how innocent people die. people who dont want to "back down" because someone said a curse word and end up taking a life. i cant wait until that law changes. people in this country need to act like adults and accept responsibility for their actions - being in a deadly confrontation because some bro got his ego hurt isn't that
No kidding. Whatever happened to people being civil to each other and not getting all hurt over words?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
This is what happened.. I parked at a gas station to buy something. My son was at the back seat. I turned off the car and for whatever freak reason the car alarm went off. I hurriedly turned off the alarm. When I opened the front door this huge dude shouted at me "learn to control your alarm idiot" I was shocked and wasn't able to respond. Honestly, I wasn't scared more like confused, what his problem was. Anyway, nothing happened as I didn't respond. But I was thinking about it afterwards and was a bit embarrassed about myself that I didn't do anything.

I'm curious that if this happens again I may respond with an insult as well. And if the other guy is bigger and would come at me, I would grab whatever I could and hit him. In this scenario I guess it's still "standing your ground".

I won't respond to this thread anymore. I'll just research what standing your ground law is.
So in a nutshell:
Your alarm went off and you turned it off.
Some hot headed douche with more balls then brains yelled; everybody there thinks hes a tool.

You won that one, no need to fight over stupid crap. If he put his hands on you, then it would be time to make him regret he was ever born so maybe hell think twice next time. He didnt, you did the right thing.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
When I see you, I'd call you a btich in front of your kids coz I know you'd just walk away without saying a word. GTFO

Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Just let it go. This wasn't actually too bad. Just a mumbling idiot.

I had an idiot actually pull in front of me, block me, get out the car banging and hitting my car for whatever raging reasons he had. He got lost pretty quickly after waving my 92FS at him.

Is important to stay calm and don't let your emotions take over. But have no mercy if your life or your family life is in danger. After all guns are there to protect us from crazy and dangerous people so don't hesitate to use them.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2014, 12:56 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:

Am I the only one that thinks this story sounds too much like the story of Michael Dunn's murder of Jordan Davis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUktagRzeso

Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM

12 posts, read 17,944 times
regardless of the law in Texas, how would you feel for the rest of your life after you've killed somebody's husband or father, simply because the guy called you an idiot for triggering your alarm? How would your kids feel about you then? It's just not worth it, and that is a lesson that can be easily explained to your kids.

I had a coworker who was very proud of his bad@ss son. This was a guy that could bench press the world and would not take any sort of disrespect from anyone. He ended up burying his son after he was shot during an altercation.

It's just not worth it. There are 2 places you don't back down:
1) protecting your family
2) protecting your home

Otherwise, it's better to walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston