Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:23 PM

6 posts, read 13,297 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a move from the east coast to Houston. We are interested in Riverstone and Telfair (as we have some family in the area). After looking on har.com, we have some interest in Sienna Plantation too. We don't know much about Sienna Plantation, but the school ratings seem good. I would appreciate any input on this location..schools, community, nearby stores/groceries, safety, etc. We are a family of six and our biggest priority is a good community and schools where our kids can grow. We plan to visit in a few weeks and would love to narrow our search prior to our visit.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Unless prospective jobs are in Sugar Land or somewhere along the south Loop (the Fort Bend tollway is pricy but a quick ride), Sienna Plantation is somewhat isolated.

That being said, I love the neighborhood and the area. It is secluded, but there is a nice HEB and a nice Kroger in that area for groceries. It's not too bad on crime, and it's a beautiful newer area. Houston is developing that way pretty quickly with nearby Pearland exploding with growth and of course all of Fort Bend County growth. In my opinion, it's a good buy.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Thank you for the reply! I noticed the same thing regarding Sienna Plantation being isolated. We liked that Riverstone is so close to shops, groceries, Target, etc. Home costs are substantially lower though. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
For the most part, it's about a 10 minute difference depending on how far into Sienna (or even Riverstone for that matter!) you are. I think the location for Riverstone is ideal but that comes with a heftier price tag.

We've been pretty happy in Sienna. We have 2 children at Sienna Crossing and are very pleased with the teachers, staff and admin.

Yes - most of what we do is outside of Sienna but as someone who works from home, it's very convenient to have schools within a mile, playgrounds & pools within walking distance, our doctor's office & dentists just down Sienna Parkway along with a nice HEB. I honestly like that it's not right in the middle of everything (traffic!) but do the city girl in me wishes we had more things within "walking distance". In the burbs, obviously, that's not going to happen but having a little town center with some practical stores and eateries would be great.

Retail seems to be picking up. Houses aren't staying on the market for very long. And the tollway to Sienna Parkway has opened. We have so many ER extensions coming into the area that I would think that would bode well for a local pickup in business. The Methodist Hospital ER is scheduled to open this summer and I recently heard that Memorial Hermann is opening its own ER in the Sienna area as well.

Sienna is well-maintained, very family-oriented with a great sense of community.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 04-12-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 05:44 PM

Thank you for the input! I really appreciate it!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:27 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Where is your work location?

If you are in back of RiverStone, it can be just as far/inconvenient from stores etc.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
The back of Sienna is somewhat more attractive now and connects with some of SL's retail better with the connection of Sienna Springs and LJ Parkway. The best buys in Sienna (as far as new) are the neighborhoods directly adjacent to Riverstone near Sienna Springs. Significantly cheaper but basically the same as the more expensive Riverstone neighborhoods within a stones throw.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
The back of Sienna is somewhat more attractive now and connects with some of SL's retail better with the connection of Sienna Springs and LJ Parkway. The best buys in Sienna (as far as new) are the neighborhoods directly adjacent to Riverstone near Sienna Springs. Significantly cheaper but basically the same as the more expensive Riverstone neighborhoods within a stones throw.
We've been there for a bit over six years. We love it. It's close enough to everything, but also just far enough away. With it being a bit of a trek, we find it keeps people out of the neighbourhood that don't have business there, and really limits the "drive thru" that we do through Riverstone and Telfair to get to 59 via University.

Great amenities, great schools, and for the most part the HOA is pretty well balanced between keeping things good, but staying out of your face.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lei101 View Post
My family is planning a move from the east coast to Houston. We are interested in Riverstone and Telfair (as we have some family in the area). After looking on har.com, we have some interest in Sienna Plantation too. We don't know much about Sienna Plantation, but the school ratings seem good. I would appreciate any input on this location..schools, community, nearby stores/groceries, safety, etc. We are a family of six and our biggest priority is a good community and schools where our kids can grow.
If you have family in those places, yes, Sienna would be worth a look.

However, I'd also look at New Territory, Greatwood, and maybe Aliana to keep the options open. Also First Colony. The housing market is hot right now so you don't want to limit yourself to only one or two neighborhoods.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Thank you for the information! I will look into those neighborhoods as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston