Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,728 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are building the Bellagio, and we were told it would take around six or seven months to complete. However, the foundation was completed very quickly and now the framing is going up. The lot clearing began on March 19th, so they have done quite a lot in a month. Please comment on how long it took to build your Westin Home, and include the floorplan and the time of year that it was built. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 62,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-zee View Post
My wife and I are building the Bellagio, and we were told it would take around six or seven months to complete. However, the foundation was completed very quickly and now the framing is going up. The lot clearing began on March 19th, so they have done quite a lot in a month. Please comment on how long it took to build your Westin Home, and include the floorplan and the time of year that it was built. Thanks.
We are waiting to close on a Preston. Some of it has to do with your subdivision and if they experience a labor shortage. They had an issue with labor and lost some brick layers and then they layed off an entire crew of framers. Our slab was poured in September. We were officially finished April 14. Our next door neighbors had their slab poured the same time. They are still around 30 days out. Westin needs to replace their back splash and they had a few other issues (they have a bellagio). We also are on our 3rd area manager. Finally got a good one though. I would say 7-9 months but don't make big plans. I would never in a million years have dreamed it would have taken this long. Now our big hold up in the wonder underwriters with the mortgage company. We used one of their preferred lenders (in fact their biggest pushed preferred lender). I have nothing nice to say about them. We are otherwise very happy with our finished Westin product.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 9,105 times
I have been waiting for a thread like this so I could vent a little. My wife and I put earnest money on a Bellagio elevation F in January. The home was already framed and the had the roof and rain barrier installed. Let me preface by saying that I understand the building process and scheduling of different contractors at different times but am, by no means, a professional. I was instantly very irritated because our previous home sold after 4 days on the market and the time following us giving up earnest money was basically 3 weeks of NO MOVEMENT on the home. NOTHING. I was ready to go to another builder. Then they started. The last neighborhood that we bought in was a lower end builder that could build a home in a month. This being said, when you drove through my old neighborhood, there was contractors everywhere...like ants. On our new home...drive by at 9 a.m. they're usually just setting up. They have about 6 homes going up at the same time and from what I can see, only have one crew per task (i.e. brick, frame, floor..). At any given time 3 to 7 day pass with no progress on our home. They have made considerable progress, but what I can say is you HAVE to watch them. They ran an electrical cable through the middle of our master shower, the tile in the entry looks like I laid it myself (not well), the hallway electrical switch turns the powder room light on and off...etc. They started bricking our home then stopped. They then went on to brick and stone 4 other houses while ours is incomplete due to a backorder of capstone. I could go on and on. The homes are beautiful once finished but as I watch it being built, I am not impressed with the craftsmanship AT ALL. I am losing money as we speak because I am in an apartment temporarily and I can see that this is going to take longer than I hoped.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
90 days. I don't care what others say. I live in Shadow Creek and they're building houses chock a block here. 90 days.

Ronnie

Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 AM

27 posts, read 58,730 times
Our home was started first week in January (Versailles plan, 4000 sqf). We have been advised they hope to have it completed by end of June - so just under 6 months if all goes to plan.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
90 days. I don't care what others say. I live in Shadow Creek and they're building houses chock a block here. 90 days.

Ronnie
Maybe in shadow creek. Westin doesn't build in 90 days. And in the neighborhood we chose, it's 7-9 months average. There have been a couple that completed in less than 7 but very few. And it wasn't even close to 90 days, more like 180 plus a few more.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVOuSS View Post
I have been waiting for a thread like this so I could vent a little. My wife and I put earnest money on a Bellagio elevation F in January. The home was already framed and the had the roof and rain barrier installed. Let me preface by saying that I understand the building process and scheduling of different contractors at different times but am, by no means, a professional. I was instantly very irritated because our previous home sold after 4 days on the market and the time following us giving up earnest money was basically 3 weeks of NO MOVEMENT on the home. NOTHING. I was ready to go to another builder. Then they started. The last neighborhood that we bought in was a lower end builder that could build a home in a month. This being said, when you drove through my old neighborhood, there was contractors everywhere...like ants. On our new home...drive by at 9 a.m. they're usually just setting up. They have about 6 homes going up at the same time and from what I can see, only have one crew per task (i.e. brick, frame, floor..). At any given time 3 to 7 day pass with no progress on our home. They have made considerable progress, but what I can say is you HAVE to watch them. They ran an electrical cable through the middle of our master shower, the tile in the entry looks like I laid it myself (not well), the hallway electrical switch turns the powder room light on and off...etc. They started bricking our home then stopped. They then went on to brick and stone 4 other houses while ours is incomplete due to a backorder of capstone. I could go on and on. The homes are beautiful once finished but as I watch it being built, I am not impressed with the craftsmanship AT ALL. I am losing money as we speak because I am in an apartment temporarily and I can see that this is going to take longer than I hoped.
I am so sorry. That was not our experience at all. Our construction was sound (my father in law is one of those that can build a house by himself). We had issues with our cabinets but that was a manufacturing problem from the cabinet company (never choose conkling).

We did have long waits where they did nothing for weeks at a time. Usually they were waiting on labor. Now our house sits finished waiting on us. It's a mortgage company thing. We have a super picky underwriter apparently and a lousy mortgage company (of course pushed on us by Westin).

Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM

675 posts, read 1,452,778 times
From experience always add 4-8 weeks on top of what the builder tells you. There is always something that someone forgets to do. For our new build, the builder ordered the electricity permit to the wrong house. The house was entirely complete but with no electricity for almost a month. We were PO like no others.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
Broke ground early August of 2011, closed on December 18.
i think they took roughly 4.5 months, at that time there were no labor shortages and all materials were on time, there wasn't any rain delay either.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,728 times
Default Thanks Everyone!

It's only been a month and this house is going up incredibly fast. Right now, Westin Homes is estimating that the house will be completed in August. If that's the case, then we're looking at around a 4.5 month build time too. This is what the house looked like yesterday, but today, when I drove past, the roof had already been completed.
Attached Thumbnails
How long does it take to build a Bellagio, by Westin Homes?-house.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston