Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,386 times

Advertisements

hi, myself and the girlfriend might be moving to houston soon from europe. We were looking for some apartment to rent, we checked on a good few websites and it seems that we could only find "apartment communities" . and we just wonder if these communities are the only way to live in an apartment in houston, it's just there is no such a thing like that here and to us it seems like its living in a hotel with no privacy or are we just thinking wrong? is there apartments to rent in houston outside "apartment communities". ? thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM

77 posts, read 96,060 times
A lot of regular apartments here are in "apartment communities"; they are typical apartments but with shared resources like a swimming pool, gym, etc. What neighborhoods have you been looking to rent in? Do you expect a more urban lifestyle (being able to walk/take public transit everywhere)- because those areas are more central, and therefore more expensive. Otherwise, you'll definitely need a car to get around. Some people say get a car anyway, because Houston is so big. How much you are willing to spend is important too!

Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM

we'd opt for something quiet enough, even if it means longer journeys to work, getting a car is on my mind, cant wait to drive on your massive roads. we were hoping for rent around 1,500 a month if that would give us a nice place to sleep and live. I wonder if there are any websites with reviews for the apartment communities, ive been looking around and couldnt find much. thanks!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM

811 posts, read 1,558,624 times
Do you have your work visas all sorted out?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,877 times
In the inner loop area, outside of downtown there are several areas with smaller apartment buildings of say 10 or so units in Montrose and other neighorborhoods in the mail ZIP code areas 77019, 77005, 77007,77008, 77098. Also there are some garage apartments behind single family homes in these areas and the Heights neighborhood. It will just take more looking to find these since many of them are not really advertised except with signs in the yard or on craigslist. It would take driving around the neighborhoods and writing down names and numbers, but there are smaller apartments still available, until they are torn down for townhouses, that is.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:51 PM

129 posts, read 171,251 times
What are apartments like in Europe?

Check out apartmentratings.com

Old 04-21-2014, 05:04 PM

90 posts, read 173,969 times
I think "apartment community" is just a marketing term used by the salespeople to make the apartments seem either more cozy or more fancy. The apartments themselves will be private, and you don't have to use or even go near of amenities (like pools or gym) unless you want to.

(Though all else being equal, I would suggest choosing an apartment complex with a swimming pool. You will understand why during your first summer in Houston).

Your proposed rent budget is not bad for most parts of Houston. You will probably be pleasantly surprised at the size of apartment you can get for that, in many parts of town.

But the most critical thing you need to consider is the commute (in driving time, not miles) from your home to work. People on this forum can give you much better advice about good areas and good apartment "communities" if you tell them the general location of your work will be (like "the Medical Center", "the Galleria area", etc...) and hoe much of a commute (in minutes, not miles) you would be able to tolerate.

You will almost certainly need a car, and so will your girlfriend (especially if she is working too). Just Even the most "urban" parts of Houston are very "spread out" compared to the density of European cities, and public transportation is very limited.

The good thing is compared to most European countries, getting a driver's license anywhere in the US (including Texas) is ludicrously easy and compared to all European countries, the cost of gasoline in the US is laughable.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM

I dont have the address with me now -but the company is on the west side of the Houston map, -il post it here once i get home , so I would be hoping to find a place to stay somewhere around if possible. we both have driving licenses , and as far as i know we'd be able to use them in Houston, i just hope that il get used to driving in houston quick enough so not too many people will swear at me

Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 PM

433 posts, read 661,335 times
For the love of god stay out of the left lane. Thank you

Old 04-23-2014, 04:05 PM

90 posts, read 173,969 times
People (US citizens and foreigners alike) moving to Texas can legally drive using their old licenses for only the first 90 days. So before your first 90 days in Houston are up, you will need to apply for and get a Texas driver's license.

This will mean taking tests - a knowledge test - and most likely, a driving test. You will need to present appropriate personal identification, proof of Texas residency (like a lease agreement, a utility bill, etc..) and in your case, proof (like a visa) that you are in the US legally. Check the Texas Department of Public Safety website for more details.

Don't worry - the tests will not be hard. Thousands of people take and pass driver's tests every day, and not all of them are geniuses. And I sure that in Houston, the DPS is very accustomed to dealing with driver's license applicants for whom English is not a first language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: