Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:33 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
You mean that you are too good for schools with limited english and economically disadvantaged students percentages in the upper 80s and 90s? Or you want your white child to have some white kids in his class? How dare you... Houston is an urban mecca and people should never consider the suburbs when you should be perfectly happy with a school that resembles something from a hip hop video.
Well, to start with my child is not white. After that, I don't know where to go with your comment. I don't think parents should consider keeping their kids in schools based on race at all. That's stupid and pig-headed. The problem with HISD is not its ethnic diversity, it is the fact that the schools don't produce very many good students. This is obviously tied up with the fact that whites have most of the resources and those resources are generally spent on whites, but for this very reason I'd say it is more of a class issue. When HISD spends all its big bucks on selective admissions schools and forgets about the forgotten, it just perpetuates this kind of problem for all parents, even those who can't afford to move in order to get their kids out of the crappy schools to which they've been assigned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
Apologies, my comment was a joke that may have been in bad taste. I was simply mocking some of the frequest posters who don't understand parents requirement of schools over location. My intention was not to offend you as I agree with your post completely.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
My brother is paying 30k more now than what our parents paid for a larger house in August 2013 (same 'hood, same zoned schools). We're in the burbs.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
henders, jerbear's family is majority Hispanic which he's been very open about, so don't lay on the white guilt. He has also been renting in the 'better' half of Spring Branch to be zoned to 'excellent' schools and has found they are not worth the price. Excepting the selective magnets, the 'better' scoring schools are driven primarily by catering to an exclusively privileged demographic. Otherwise, there is nothing special about those schools.

However, I've also pointed out repeatedly that there ARE schools located within the beltway area (or literally just outside) that are good schools with mixed populations. Jersey Village HS is one of them, with good feeder schools such as Gleason and Cook. You can still buy a home within 20 miles of downtown zoned to good schools (and a nice home, in a nice neighborhood) for under $300K. In other major cities, that is simply not possible, so I do think Houston is very affordable.

Edit: Ah, I see we cross-posted, henders, and that there's been some editing. I didn't catch the mocking tone of your original post so disregard. :-)

Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Vouchers.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
henders, jerbear's family is majority Hispanic which he's been very open about, so don't lay on the white guilt. He has also been renting in the 'better' half of Spring Branch to be zoned to 'excellent' schools and has found they are not worth the price. Excepting the selective magnets, the 'better' scoring schools are driven primarily by catering to an exclusively privileged demographic. otherwise, there is nothing special about those schools.
Seems to be quite a sweeping statment. Stratford is a very good school by all accounts and is fairly mixed. Or are there not enough poor folks attending to satisfy some wierd demographic requirement?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:12 PM

288 posts, read 433,926 times
Who'd have thunk it? Promoting your city and state would bring in this many people, and raise your standard of living.

I dont know why so many people are a fan of this huge growth. The rising COL is only one problem. Commute, pollution, resources are unwanted additions we already had problems with.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Sure, add Stratford. I only used JV is an example, and I'm sure there are others even on the eastern side. Besides, I know Stratford has changed tremendously and it was not a high-scoring school until very recently. People seem to forget that buyers vaulted over 77079 for the Katy schools until just the past few years.

And, can you buy a nice home near Stratford for $300K any longer?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
We don't need to "close the borders"
we need to make our city officials stop giving in to developers creating subdivisions like crazy and start creating "smart growth" with more public parks (sorry, less subdivisions)
Doing that could reduce by 1/2 the number of families that live in an area.

Houston neighborhoods see skyrocketing home values
Hey, but "it's a good housing market" .... for realtors
And people that own their property.

You sound like another bitter guy that recently left the area...always complaining about parks and development...

Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Sure, add Stratford. I only used JV is an example, and I'm sure there are others even on the eastern side. Besides, I know Stratford has changed tremendously and it was not a high-scoring school until very recently. People seem to forget that buyers vaulted over 77079 for the Katy schools until just the past few years.

And, can you buy a nice home near Stratford for $300K any longer?
You actually can get close in the area north of the I-10 and just west of the Beltway. That area is surely going to go up in price soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston