Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:46 AM

56 posts, read 112,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm black, so you can go troll somewhere else.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 03:54 AM

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
288 is a hop, skip and jump from the "West" Pearland so obviously, its easy to make quick exit...

that area has the town center and other retail so it'll naturally contain more crime
Are we now comparing East vs West Pearland or Pearland vs other parts of Houston? I was comparing Pearland as a whole to other parts of Houston. In that comparison I just don't understand all the hubbub about the crime rate as others have posted the crime rate. The numbers are there for all to see. They are not high.

The links gave you your answer in real numbers, not opinions.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:00 AM

Default Must be a troll too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDA View Post
So been doing a lot of research on Pearland and have even driven in it pretty extensively. How would you say Crime is these days?

Most of my web searches for crime give me results from 2007-2008ish era. The poor people posting are almost in a panic from crime! Must be during the time of those home invasions.

Still, it conflicts with some things I see. I know Pearland was still recently rated as one of the safest cities to live in Texas, and Children at Risk gave the Pearland ISD district a ranking of A. Lots of Exemplary recognized schools. Those kids must have some decent upbringing.

So as of now, 2014.... How would you say crime is? Better, worse, overaggerated?

You know I have people tell me how west Pearland is safer because it's more white collar, but I also get folks telling me East Pearland is safer because it's less crowded (To be honest I think they mean more white!)

I have some folks saying I should move to Sugarland because it's safer, then I have others say "NO WAY, IT'S NEXT TO MO CITY!"

A recent survey I saw said Katy, Woodlands, and Pearland are all about the same in crime.

Anyhow, just wanted some opinions.

Oh...I currently life in GULFTON!!!!!
The OP must be a troll too since he mentioned race in his question. Geeze. So testy.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:03 AM

111 posts, read 218,518 times
I don't live in Pearland but I shop there frequently and have not noticed a crime problem. Of course any poorer section of a city will have more crime but as a whole I think it is a pretty safe city.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 AM

182 posts, read 350,369 times
Thanks for all the opinions. Basically compared to where I live now it's going to be WAY safer. No doubt. But I did want an opinion between Silverlake area vs East Pearland.

Based on what I have seen the Silvercrest Elemetary area is the best rated School with the least economically disadvantaged children. The Schools on the far east such as Shadycrest and Rustic Oaks are exemplary as well, even though the economically disadvantaged are higher. How does this relate to crime? Can't say. Some say poorer areas have more crime, but so do large shopping centers.

Anyhow I watch my back even when I shop at Galleria and Meyerland, so Pearland Town Center would be no different.

I found some site that actually lists sex offenders. Pretty much the areas with the most crime had the largest quantity. The areas I looked at probably had like 2 at most.

https://www.crimereports.com/
(this includes assault and sexual offenses)

edit: That windstorm insurance is NOT CHEAP. I'm sure that makes people think twice before moving into the area. Person I know say they pay 3100 a year just for that alone.

Last edited by JohnnyDA; 05-16-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Traffic along 288 and around beltway around pearland is arguably worse than 290. So making it the first or second worst commute. Its a parking lot. Its horrible and only going to get worse
I wonder how many of those come from Sienna Plantation area? Kind of ridiculous that Fort bend Tollway doesn't go all the way to 610.

If I lived on the east side of Pearland I would probbaly just take the Fuqua Park N Ride and avoid the hassel. Route takes me right in front of my work building downtown.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post

I wouldn't want to live in the areas around the shopping centers, although I've heard that some of the apartment complexes in those areas raised rents and many of the problem renters moved out.
Hmm. Well that's interesting. Can't have those apartments turning into slums!

Old 05-16-2014, 07:29 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouMomof2 View Post
Are we now comparing East vs West Pearland or Pearland vs other parts of Houston? I was comparing Pearland as a whole to other parts of Houston. In that comparison I just don't understand all the hubbub about the crime rate as others have posted the crime rate. The numbers are there for all to see. They are not high.

The links gave you your answer in real numbers, not opinions.
The OP was comparing East vs West Pearland...in terms of quantity of crimes committed West side probably has 8-10x the quantity of crimes vs East Pearland.

Just to be clear though- I do not think Pearland is unsafe at all...compared to where the OP is coming from its going to feel like he is living in a gated community.

My comment was pretty simple and straight forward. The West Side has a much greater population density, much more shopping, and a mall...in addition to that its proximity to 288 gives thieves an easy and quick exit from the area. Pearland is not dangerous, crime is generally isolated to opportunity crimes, ie - smash and grab because you left your purse in your car, or did not close your garage overnight...

People playing the race card are just too sensitive and are looking to be a victim. Nobody brought up race.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:31 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
First no offense to anyone who lives on the west side. There are some lovely communities there. Personally I wouldn't live on the west side just due to traffic. While overall crime might be low it will be higher in that end just due to proximity to freeway (288) and cullen which runs all the way deep into Houston. Easy in and out access creates ease for crimes of opportunity. I don't recall pearland making the safest city list but maybe it did. I know league city and friendswood did and shockingly, so did laporte. That one surprised me. Some pearland residents do refer to shadow creek ranch as fifth ward south. However I have a couple of coworkers who live there and I never her them complain so must be okay. I think pearland, in its hurry to grow, poorly planned their infrastructure to handle the surge in population growth that the area has experienced leading to the traffic and other issues they have. I lived in pearland from age 5 to age 30 and it has definitely changed since then.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Shadow Creek Ranch as Fifth Ward South? Wow, I wonder how JJ Watt feels about being in the hood! From what I have seen in the demographics map, the asian population is huge there.

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html

Some lists I saw has Pearland, SugarLand, and if you can believe Missouri City as some of the safest communities in Texas.

Top 10 Safest Cities in Texas | USA Today

I've seen many lists and data, but it doesn't hurt to ask for folks personal opinions.

Lol I saw on some forum a lady that was concerned because some individual had "rap music" blarring from their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston