Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 PM

28 posts, read 39,355 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I know this is a random question, but I was hoping you guys may know..

My dad purchased my car in NY and has the title in his name. Obviously since I'm moving, I need TX insurance as the car will be here with me permanently. I realized though the Houston DMV requires "proof of ownership".

Will this be an issue for me in getting my car registered? My father won't be visiting until October, so I need it to be registered before that and he won't be present and isn't a resident. I can have him transfer the title, but I was hoping to not have to do that.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I can't figure out how to edit the post. The car has a lien, so that's why the title was in his name and not mine.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,852,555 times
I dont know about texas but in Ohio all you need to transfer a title is your ID, title signed by both people (has to be notarized) and the money to pay for it.

You can call the BMV and ask them.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont know about texas but in Ohio all you need to transfer a title is your ID, title signed by both people (has to be notarized) and the money to pay for it.

You can call the BMV and ask them.
I don't think you can transfer a title with a lien though. Do you think BMW may do that anyway, knowing that my dad is still responsible for paying the money back?

Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,852,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab463 View Post
I don't think you can transfer a title with a lien though. Do you think BMW may do that anyway, knowing that my dad is still responsible for paying the money back?
They may not. Just call and ask. You dont need to get exact details- just call and say " I need to transfer a title with a lien on it, how do i go about doing that?"

Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
They may not. Just call and ask. You dont need to get exact details- just call and say " I need to transfer a title with a lien on it, how do i go about doing that?"
That's exactly what I'll do tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,282 times
You do not need to transfer the title right now, especially since it has a lien on it. Texas does not require that the title be transferred, just the license registration. Is your name on the title too? You can just apply for the license plate registration and have him sign all of the paperwork while you obtain the insurance for both of you and get it inspected here. You would just be taking the paperwork to the tax office to obtain Texas plates for him since he is not here. Should be able to do that easily.

I know the ultimate goal is to have the title in your name, but until it is paid off I doubt they would let your father do that. I've done the same for my son, and my credit union will let me add him to the title, but unless he applied for the credit and was approved, they will not remove me from it. I will have to put it in his name only once it is paid off.

More info and forms: TxDMV.GOV - New to Texas

You could probably get by until October as long as you are careful driving, unless your tags expire before then.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: